sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2023 4:11 pm  #1

BBC's Innovative New Remote Studio Is All-In-One Cargo Bike

It's a cargo bike that carries everything a reporter might need to go live, including phones, camera, lighting, editing gear and of course, transportation. The BBC is trying it out in The Netherlands and claims it's not only a smashing success but an environmentally friendly one as well. 

It's also good for getting into places where a news van might not be able to reach, thanks to traffic or other obstructions. 

"The BBC says the bike, “contains all the kit [needed] for newsgathering, interviews, and to provide TV and radio lives connecting via phones and transmitting around the world.” And they hope the Bike Bureau will help the BBC achieve its goal to become the greenest broadcaster in the world."

The only drawback I can see is if you need to get to a scene quickly. Cycling may not be the speediest mode of transport. But I wonder if this idea will spread to other countries and markets. It's an interesting idea, although I'm not sure how it would work in a city like Toronto, where it's winter 8-9 months a year and our bike lane network isn't even close to what they have in Holland.

BBC Launches a Complete Broadcasting Studio on an E-Cargo Bike

[img]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/screen-shot-2023-05-08-at-1-52-24-pm-645936eda9f87.png?crop=1.00xw:1.00xh;0,0&resize=1200:*[/img]