sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2023 5:38 pm  #1

CityNews 680 Takes Leafs As Fan 590 Has Jays Obligations

For the first time in the playoffs, the Leafs are being shunted over to CityNews 680 for Game 2 Thursday, while The Fan has game 3 in the Jays-Red Sox series. 

Considering how many times both teams have played on the same night, it's quite remarkable this hasn't happened more often this year. 

May 5, 2023 12:47 am  #2

Re: CityNews 680 Takes Leafs As Fan 590 Has Jays Obligations

TuneIn, the app that has a deal to be the streaming home of the NHL wasn't aware of where the game went because in the NHL section of the app there was no playable link.  The official NHL app had it, luckily.  I found it odd that they still ran ID's saying you were listening to Sportsnet 590, the home of the Leafs when the game was on 680.

May 5, 2023 11:57 am  #3

680 never actually stops broadcasting all news..   It just drops the am 680 audio for whatever game they take.  Digital platforms still stream their normal all news format.   The game is still 590s, so I do see the logic of 680 not taking ownership. Not to mention in PPM it doesn't matter, 680 will get credit for 680 regardless. 

May 5, 2023 12:26 pm  #4

As I recall, the demise of CKO began when they started giving over blocks of air time to the broadcast of hockey matches.

I deprives the community of, what they thought was, an All News station.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 6, 2023 12:36 am  #5

radiokid wrote:

680 never actually stops broadcasting all news..   It just drops the am 680 audio for whatever game they take.  Digital platforms still stream their normal all news format.   The game is still 590s, so I do see the logic of 680 not taking ownership. Not to mention in PPM it doesn't matter, 680 will get credit for 680 regardless. 

Saying "You're listening to Sportsnet 590" when you aren't is a bad idea.