sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2023 7:08 am  #1

Leafs' Radio Broadcast Laughs Off Messing Up Series-Winning Call

Understandable in the moment. On the other hand, you had one job...

Who Cares?: Leafs' Radio Broadcast Laughs Off Messing Up Series-Winning Call

April 30, 2023 8:10 am  #2

Re: Leafs' Radio Broadcast Laughs Off Messing Up Series-Winning Call

I'm glad I was watching on TV. I'll try to mute the sound when this radio call is replayed.

April 30, 2023 11:25 am  #3

Don't forget, they are calling the games off of studio monitors. They no longer travel to the away games. 

April 30, 2023 12:36 pm  #4

I realize Bowen and Ralph weren't there. They were relying on the TV broadcast, which also got it wrong by showing Reilly celebrating instead of Tavares. But I don't want to hear the tape of Bowen screaming and singing.

April 30, 2023 2:40 pm  #5

This faux pas could be used to persuade the brass to spend the brass to send Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph to the away games.

Perhaps the two broadcasters prefer to call the game the way they currently are and have had enough of traveling but this is tactfully not being mentioned to the public.

Joe Bowen has lived a lot of crappy, okay and good Leafs hockey games over many decades and in my opinion can be shown a bit of grace.

Even Habs fans were praying for a Leafs win during the game on social media and that's quite unusual.

Man is it sweet waking up after last night's game and remembering that the Leafs won.

Last edited by betaylored (April 30, 2023 3:09 pm)

April 30, 2023 8:49 pm  #6

mikew wrote:

Don't forget, they are calling the games off of studio monitors. They no longer travel to the away games. 

And it turns out Joe Bowen is saying that's exactly what happened. 

Leafs’ radio announcer Joe Bowen says remote broadcast caused series-winning call error

April 30, 2023 8:56 pm  #7

Speaking of unfortunate moments in a live sporting event... George Orwell's Newspeak might have called this "double-plus-ungood."

ABC Used Stock Footage of New York City Skyline Featuring the Twin Towers During Knicks Game

May 1, 2023 7:11 am  #8

Did the blown Bowen call teach Rogers and Bell anything? We may know soon, with The Athletic contacting both Sportsnet and TSN to ask if they've decided to alter their coverage plans for round two. Sportsnet would only say it was 'considering its options.' TSN didn't bother to respond. 

The incredible cheapness of both companies in keeping their radio broadcast crew at home showed up in the final game of round one. But this apparently isn't the first time Bowen and company have been forced to deal with techincal glitches and being literally out of sight of the action. 

According to The Athletic:

"Once, during a game last season, they briefly only had access to a camera that showed the action from high above the ice, making it impossible to see who was actually making the plays they were supposed to be describing.

At least once, they have described the feed disappearing entirely. For a few fleeting moments, they had a soccer game on the screens in their studio, rather than the hockey game."

The Leafs have finally gotten past the first round for the first time in 19 years. What a shame its broadcast crew can't be there to see it - and report on it - in person. 

Mistake on historic Leafs radio call shows the trouble in broadcasting from 2,200 km away
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://theathletic.com/4474923/2023/04/30/maple-leafs-radio-mistake-morgan-rielly/

May 1, 2023 11:52 am  #9

Bowen and Ralph will be traveling to Florida to cover the games in round 2

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/remote-leafs-radio-setup-proves-143820428.html

"As the Toronto Maple Leafs prepare to face the Florida Panthers in a highly anticipated second-round matchup in the NHL playoffs, the team and its broadcast partners will have the radio broadcast crew covering the action in person both at home and on the road beginning Tuesday," an MLSE spokesperson said in an email.

Last edited by cash (May 1, 2023 11:53 am)

May 1, 2023 11:53 am  #10

The Canadian Press has now picked up this story, which is one of many helping to reveal that those calling the game on radio are thousands of miles away. If it makes TSN and Sportsnet look bad, so much the better. This is really making them both seem cheap - and as seen by this recent example, it's costing them accuracy, as well. 

A great quote from the CP story:

“The only people who think it’s a good idea that a reporter is not on the scene of an event that (they’re) covering are the bosses and the bean counters,” said David Shoalts, who recently retired after a long career as a Globe and Mail sportswriter. “There’s so much you miss if you’re not there. This is one that really drives me crazy.

“Big, wealthy corporations not sending radio crews on the road and it would cost them peanuts to do so. But oh no, here’s 10 cents we can save and so those guys stay home.”

Remote Maple Leafs radio setup proves costly on call of OT goal

May 1, 2023 10:12 pm  #11

So how does he explain taking more than a full second to identify Leaf players during home games?  I was listening to the last home game for a full period and he missed a lot.  It's a given that he doesn't know the other team by now, but if he can't even identify the players he's so enthusiastically cheering for he should pull up a porch swing next to Bob Cole.