sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2023 2:19 pm  #31

Re: Tucker Carlson out at Fox News!!

Fox News has a new station I.D.

April 28, 2023 10:53 am  #32

Looks like Fox is getting at least some of what it deserves for admittedly lying to its viewers. This, at the very least, gives me some hope. Although it's not clear if its faithful viewers are fleeing to other less than honest networks or actual legit news services. 

Fox News Ratings Collapse with Dominion Scandal: Hannity Falls to Lowest Number Ever, Well Below 2 Million, Carlson Replacement Show Down By Two Thirds

April 28, 2023 4:37 pm  #33

I wonder how much this will affect their bottom line though.

Normally (traditionally, I guess) higher ratings would lead to higher advertising rates but as I understand it, the majority of Fox's revenue comes carriage fees and not ads.

As well, has't Carlson's show been lacking in advertisers as there are few entities that want to be associated with him?

RadioActive wrote:

Looks like Fox is getting at least some of what it deserves for admittedly lying to its viewers. This, at the very least, gives me some hope. Although it's not clear if its faithful viewers are fleeing to other less than honest networks or actual legit news services. 

Fox News Ratings Collapse with Dominion Scandal: Hannity Falls to Lowest Number Ever, Well Below 2 Million, Carlson Replacement Show Down By Two Thirds

April 28, 2023 4:58 pm  #34

The economics of U.S. Cable News (and other specialty cable channels) is less dependant on advertising revenue than one might think.  I have seen data in recent days that 80% or more of Fox News Channel's revenue comes from subscription fees paid by cable operators.   In the U.S. Fox Corp and others have a lot of power to negotiate carriage fees, because those fees are often linked to other services that are in fact more attractive to most viewers.  That being said, a high percentage of FNC's cash flow and profits are from cable affiliation fees.   What Fox may be more afraid of, is if cable companies drop the channel and their fee revenues crumble. But that is not likely to happen in the USA, because of the huge clout that FOX has to be able to dictate packaging/carriage arrangements to the cable industry.  It's that simple.   Yes, ratings drop would impact some revenues, but the reality is Fox Corporate will remain highly profitable until such time as cable cos in the US either drop the channel or play hardball and reduce subscriber fee payments.  Neither scenario is likely to happen given who the players are in the Cable Co. executive suites.  As bizarre as it may seem, if every advertiser pulled out of FNC, the company would still earn around $3 Billion in profits from FNC.  Even so, FNC performs well with certain demos, regardless of who anchors 8 pm, and is a "must buy" for many companies due to the extraordinary reach.  FNC ranks right up there with ESPN as a "most watched" cable network.  

Last edited by tvguy (April 28, 2023 5:02 pm)

April 29, 2023 12:11 am  #35

People are prematurely celebrating Fox News’s ratings demise.
8pm right now is essentially empty without a host on a personality driven network.
As soon as they get the next permanent host to start spoon feeding the rubes their outrage the ratings will go right back up just like they did shortly after Carlson took over the slot from O’Reilly.

April 29, 2023 7:37 am  #36

Tomas Barlow wrote:

People are prematurely celebrating Fox News’s ratings demise.
8pm right now is essentially empty without a host on a personality driven network.
As soon as they get the next permanent host to start spoon feeding the rubes their outrage the ratings will go right back up just like they did shortly after Carlson took over the slot from O’Reilly.

C'mon. Allow us a few moments of joy, eh? 

April 29, 2023 8:37 am  #37

Dial Twister wrote:

Given my memory of Swanson TV dinners from many, many years ago, the fact that Tucker descended from a family that produced such banal fake food shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

He's actually not a blood line descendant of the Swanson family.   Carlson's father (a journalist, diplomat and lobbyist who was the director of the Voice of America during the last six years of the Cold War) married Patricia Swanson in 1979 and he was adopted around the age of 11.   

I have only one thing to say about that.....

Why not me??????

What a great way to get rich!

April 29, 2023 8:56 am  #38

Carlson's father was featured in the recent HBO production entitled " The Lady and the Dale " . Long story short, Richard Carlson outed the " Lady " , Elizabeth Carmichael , as a cross dresser during her/his fraud trial involving a three wheeled vehicle called The Dale. https://www.google.com/search?client=avast-a-1&q=tucker+carlson+father&oq=tucker+&aqs=avast.1.69i57j69i59j0l6.3880j0j15&ie=UTF-8

May 3, 2023 1:18 pm  #39

This is the guy Fox executives supported .. this is the guy Fox viewers fawned over ..

Were they blind or were they in lock step with someone who voiced their own views?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/02/business/media/tucker-carlson-text-message-white-men.html
Tucker Carlson’s Text to a Producer in the hours after violent Trump supporters stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021 
A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living shit out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it. Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn’t good for me. I’m becoming something I don’t want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I’m sure I’d hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn’t gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don’t care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?"

May 3, 2023 2:30 pm  #40

g121 wrote:

This is the guy Fox executives supported .. this is the guy Fox viewers fawned over ..

Were they (a) blind, or (b) were they in lock step with someone who voiced their own views?

I'm going with (b).

October 31, 2023 5:17 pm  #41

Remember when Tucker Carlson was suddenly fired from Fox News last spring with no real explanation? A new book from former CNN media critic Brian Stelter claims there was a simple reason: he was an arrogant a-hole, who pissed off everyone, including the network's owner, Rupert Murdoch.

"Carlson had alienated so many people, instigated so many internal and external scandals, fanned so many flames of ugliness, that his firing was inevitable." 

The Untold Story of Tucker Carlson’s Ugly Exit From Fox News