sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2023 12:22 pm  #1

Don Lemon out at CNN

Broken, er, breaking news...

April 24, 2023 12:27 pm  #2

Re: Don Lemon out at CNN

from CBC (Katie Simpson live report)...

"He (Lemon) was informed by his agent that after 17 years, he would no longer be employed by CNN"

April 24, 2023 12:29 pm  #3

Carlson on Fox and Lemon at CNN, within minutes of each other.  Wow!

The Lemon firing can't have come as a huge surprise to the longtime anchor - he'd been embroiled in a series of controversies for months over dumb statements he made on and off air. Some at the network were refusing to work with him. Here's the network's own terse story on his departure:

Don Lemon leaves CNN

But the dismissal of Carlson - who hosted Fox's top rated show - is stunning. I wonder how his loyal viewers will react and if they'll bombard the network with complaints. (They'll think it was all a conspiracy and if it wasn't, they'll invent one!) Here's the Fox story on letting go one of their biggest stars:

FOX News Media, Tucker Carlson part ways

Notice the similar "we want to thank them for their contributions" statements from both of them, the boiler plate for when someone is suddenly let go. 

What an incredible news day for the media, but not in a good way. 

April 24, 2023 12:35 pm  #4

Orchestrated almost like a prisoner exchange. 

April 24, 2023 12:39 pm  #5

I suspect Carlson's fate will be similar to Glenn Beck's. Without a primetime slot he'll fade into the background of the right-wing noise machine. Whether or not he tempers his fascist discourse remains to be seen, but in better times there were consequences for being a NAZI broadcaster.

April 24, 2023 12:44 pm  #6

Chrisphen wrote:

I suspect Carlson's fate will be similar to Glenn Beck's. Without a primetime slot he'll fade into the background of the right-wing noise machine. Whether or not he tempers his fascist discourse remains to be seen, but in better times there were consequences for being a NAZI broadcaster.

I hope you're right, but my guess is he'll probably end up on one of the other Conservative news networks, like One American News (OAN) or NewsMax, both of which have OK but not great market penetration. But either would love the publicity of such a big-name hire.

Or he'll wind up doing a syndicated radio show. I wonder if his agent is already on the phone to WABC? 

Does this mean we'll never get to see Carlson's recently promoted but never shown documentary on how the U.S. should invade Canada to free us from our Communist dictatorial government?  

April 24, 2023 12:49 pm  #7

Apparently, Lemon was told about his firing by his agent and not anyone in management. According to Deadline:

“I am stunned,” Lemon said. “After 17 years at CNN I would have thought someone in management would have had the decency to tell me directly. At no time was I ever given any indication that I would not be able to continue to do the work I have loved at the network.” 

April 24, 2023 12:57 pm  #8

LOSat wrote:

Orchestrated almost like a prisoner exchange. 

Well played.

April 24, 2023 1:13 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder how his loyal Fox viewers will react and if they'll bombard the network with complaints. (They'll think it was all a conspiracy and if it wasn't, they'll invent one!) 

And it's already started. According to Sauga960's Marc Patrone, Canada's small-time version of Tucker Carlson, commenting on the firing, "If you go after the Deep State, they'll eventually come and get you."

So now Fox is in bed with the Deep State? Whew, you can't tell your enemy without a scorecard. 

This is just the beginning of this craziness. I would not want to be on the switchboard at Fox H.Q. right now. 

April 24, 2023 1:15 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

I would not want to be on the switchboard at Fox H.Q. right now. 

Actually, I'd love to be on the switchboard at Fake News. My chance to inform the callers that they're the victims of Rupert Murdoch's lies.

Put me in Coach!

April 24, 2023 2:23 pm  #11

Wonder if Fox got rid of Carlson because he would be their highest paid personality. Good ratings or not his show and Laura Ingraham have had trouble attracting and holding on to strong advertisers.  And Fox has a big bill to pay very soon. Makes one wonder if the hundreds of millions to Dominion and Carlson's dismissal are related.

Hosts Carlson and Ingraham have wallowed in conspiracy theories over the years.  Both even taunted high school students who survived the mass shooting in Parkland Florida because they were pleading for better gun control.  Soon after big advertisers started to cancel ads on these shows and even the network. 

Go to the Fox website, and it is interesting how Don Lemon's firing is the number one trending story but Tucker's is not.  Also Lemon's article is much longer, listing all of his transgressions over the years and CNN's problems but Carlson's is straight forward with no detail.  Fox has allowed comments after Lemon's story but no comments after Tucker's firing.  Isn't Fox supposed to be all about freedom??

April 24, 2023 2:25 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

Isn't Fox supposed to be all about freedom??

Please. I almost swallowed my tongue. 

April 24, 2023 4:08 pm  #13

Actually, Carlson and Lemon weren't the first to be let go this week. In a separate media story that got little attention, a guy named Jeff Shell was fired for allegedly having an inappropriate relationship at work and accused of sexual harassment aimed at an employee.

Who's Jeff Shell? Up until this weekend, he was the CEO of NBCUniversal, owner of NBC, Peacock and with an interest in Hulu. Not exactly a small-time guy.  

That makes three big honchos who've exited their media work in a hurry in less than 48 hours.

That's simply incredible and I can't think of a time when so many big names have been shown the door in virtually the same time period.  

NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell Forced Out After Sexual Harassment Claim 

April 24, 2023 4:18 pm  #14

It looks as though paying people 10s of millions of dollars a year may generate more problems than they're actually worth.

Who'dathunk?

April 26, 2023 9:55 pm  #16

I think that Lemon has been on the chopping block for some time now; likely since shortly after CNN's new right-wing ownership took over.

Monday's sudden announcement of Carlson's departure from Fake News gave CNN's Chairman and CEO Licht a bit of cover to pull the plug on Lemon.

April 27, 2023 8:41 am  #17

Dial Twister wrote:

I think that Lemon has been on the chopping block for some time now; likely since shortly after CNN's new right-wing ownership took over.

Monday's sudden announcement of Carlson's departure from Fake News gave CNN's Chairman and CEO Licht a bit of cover to pull the plug on Lemon.

Don't know if I would classify the new owners as right wing.  They have moved CNN more to the centre which to me is where they should be. 

MSNBC is a fair bit more left centred than they were even a couple of years ago, and FOX News Network is a mess in pretty much every aspect IMO. I don't care if they are the number one news channel in the US, they are a garbage network, with second rate on air talent. Regardless of being number one, their ratings really aren't that good.  FOX is just highest in a poor bunch.   

I didn't mind Don Lemon, preferred him in his evening show.  The ratings for CNN's new morning show have been very weak.  Don, Poppy and Kaitlan didn't gel on air.   Lemon was the senior anchor and made some poorly thought out statements on air over past few months and no doubt CNN monitors what viewers are saying.

Like Tucker Carlson, Don Lemon was rumoured to be difficult to work with and didn't/wouldn't take advice, so all of these factors lead to his firing in my opinion. Whether these rumours are true, who knows?  

I find CNN a better network now than they were six months ago.  Whether their new programming and apparent move to the centre works for them remains to be seen.   

January 9, 2024 2:48 pm  #19

A sour Lemon returns.

Don Lemon has revealed he'll be coming back to media with a show on Twitter/X. The irony. He couldn't be more different than Tucker Carlson, yet both were fired on the same day and both are now doing their respective shows on the same platform.

‘Don Lemon Show’ Launching On X—9 Months After CNN Fired Host

January 9, 2024 3:26 pm  #20

"Former newscaster Don Lemon announced he’ll be hosting a new show on X"

Newscaster? Surely they mean opinion host.