sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2023 5:38 pm  #1

Is this the most overplayed song on the radio?

It is called "Die For You" by the Weeknd and it was recorded in 2016 and released in 2017. Here we are in 2023 and it is still being played many times radio stations like Z103.5, Virgin Radio, CHUM 104.5, Kiss 92.5 etc and across the US. This maybe a reason why. According to the Wikipedia article it says.

"In 2022, the song experienced a resurgence in popularity, due to the online social media application TikTok. Therefore, the song impacted US radio, achieving a new peak within the top ten of the Hot 100. On February 24, 2023, the Weeknd released a remix of "Die for You" with American singer Ariana Grande, which topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart dated March 11, 2023."

Yes I know some people might find this song overplayed many times on the radio but when it is played almost all the time I switch it to a different station.

April 26, 2023 8:06 pm  #2

Re: Is this the most overplayed song on the radio?

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

It is called "Die For You" by the Weeknd and it was recorded in 2016 and released in 2017. Here we are in 2023 and it is still being played many times radio stations like Z103.5, Virgin Radio, CHUM 104.5, Kiss 92.5 etc and across the US. This maybe a reason why. According to the Wikipedia article it says.

"In 2022, the song experienced a resurgence in popularity, due to the online social media application TikTok. Therefore, the song impacted US radio, achieving a new peak within the top ten of the Hot 100. On February 24, 2023, the Weeknd released a remix of "Die for You" with American singer Ariana Grande, which topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart dated March 11, 2023."

Yes I know some people might find this song overplayed many times on the radio but when it is played almost all the time I switch it to a different station.

Under the current regulations it will continue to be overplayed for 10 years as it's Canadian content. The Ariana Grande version is not, hence why that one is not played here as frequently. I agree.... I reach for the car radio whenever it comes on. 

April 26, 2023 8:19 pm  #3

torontostan wrote:

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

Under the current regulations it will continue to be overplayed for 10 years as it's Canadian content. The Ariana Grande version is not, hence why that one is not played here as frequently. I agree.... I reach for the car radio whenever it comes on. 

It's getting significantly more airplay in the US right now, where many CHRs play power currents ~125 times a week.

April 26, 2023 9:58 pm  #4

Looking at a sampling of "Liked Songs" in my Spotify, it's safe to say I'm definitely not the target audience : ))  ..

April 26, 2023 10:03 pm  #5

A Criminal Mind by Gowan 

Last edited by cash (April 26, 2023 10:04 pm)

April 26, 2023 10:24 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

It's getting significantly more airplay in the US right now, where many CHRs play power currents ~125 times a week.

Without a doubt. The new rendition gives a song like that new life. However, since there's no incentive to play that version here we're stuck with the original version, and as a result it continues on a downward trajectory. The original will continue to be played for years to come in Canada while the US will bail on it well before us. All because of our excessive CanCon regulations. 

April 26, 2023 10:29 pm  #7

torontostan wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Without a doubt. The new rendition gives a song like that new life. However, since there's no incentive to play that version here we're stuck with the original version, and as a result it continues on a downward trajectory. The original will continue to be played for years to come in Canada while the US will bail on it well before us. All because of our excessive CanCon regulations. 

Much ado about nothing...

April 26, 2023 11:19 pm  #8

I'll take that over Hotel California for the 7 millionth time in my life.
People complain that CHR plays the same 40 songs for 4 months and then switch to a station that has been playing the same 400 songs for 40 years.

April 27, 2023 12:59 am  #9

Tomas Barlow wrote:

People complain that CHR plays the same 40 songs for 4 months and then switch to a station that has been playing the same 400 songs for 40 years.

No kidding. Most classic hits/oldies stations' playlists are so tight and repetitive they practically border on self parody.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!