sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2023 9:00 am  #1

Can You Solve This 58-Yr. Old CHUM "Hockey" Tune Cartoon Quiz?

They didn't do it often, but every now and then CHUM would issue a contest on the back of one of their charts. On March 22, 1965, they issued a "Tune Cartoon" based on hockey, with a host of hidden clues about songs on that week's chart. The idea was to I.D. as many as possible and win a prize. 

It's been 58 years since this one came out (almost as long as since the Leafs last won the Cup!) and I've still never quite managed to find them all. Because it's so long ago, I've included the actual chart listings themselves, so you can see what was there that week. 

I don't have a prize, but as Mark Simone used to say on WABC, we're giving away a giant case of satisfaction if you think you can solve it.

Special thanks to the Doug Thompson's always great CHUM Tribute Site, which not only has this chart but every single one ever produced, an amazing resource. 

April 20, 2023 5:24 pm  #2

Re: Can You Solve This 58-Yr. Old CHUM "Hockey" Tune Cartoon Quiz?

I've looked at this thing a few times over the years, and have found a large number of the tunes, but what does the dog scratching himself on centre ice represent? Anyone know? It's been driving me crazy for a long time. 

April 20, 2023 6:55 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I've looked at this thing a few times over the years, and have found a large number of the tunes, but what does the dog scratching himself on centre ice represent? Anyone know? It's been driving me crazy for a long time. 

Hmm, it's a stretch, but I wonder if that's a reference to "Shakin' All Over".

April 20, 2023 6:56 pm  #4

Maybe "I Know A Place"?

April 21, 2023 7:06 am  #5

AspectRatio wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Hmm, it's a stretch, but I wonder if that's a reference to "Shakin' All Over".

That would be my guess.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram