sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2023 9:08 am  #1

PBS To Air Documentary On "The Greatest Rock Band You Never Heard"

They were called "Fanny," an all-female group who were contemporaries of some of the biggest rock stars of the 60s and 70s. Some called them the "female Beatles," and they had fans ranging from David Bowie to the Lovin' Spoonful's John Sebastian.

So why have you never heard of them? That's just part of the story told in a documentary to be seen on May 22 over PBS (or other times depending on your local station - you never know when WNED might air it.) The doc, called "Fanny: The Right To Rock," tells their story, along with interviews from the B52s, the Go-Gos, Bonnie Raitt, Todd Rundgren and more. 

If the title sounds even a little familiar, it's because some here have already seen it. The film won an award at the Hot Docs Festival in Toronto, as well as other places where it's been shown. 

The linked article features a clip from the show which will give you some idea of how impressive this otherwise obscure group really was. Why they were never bigger has been blamed on misogyny and sexism, both of which were in abundant supply in the late 60s. But one listen to just how good they were makes you wonder how they weren't able to overcome it. 

I wish they'd had better opportunities, but it's nice to be able to discover them in a more modern era. I'll definitely set my DVR for this one. 

PBS Sets May Airdate For Documentary On Fanny, Criminally Overlooked Rock Band Beloved By Bowie, Bonnie Raitt

April 16, 2023 11:28 am  #2

Re: PBS To Air Documentary On "The Greatest Rock Band You Never Heard"

Oh wow!  How could I never have heard of this talented group?

YouTube is full of their music.  I won't bother linking here but if you do a quick search, you'll find them.

Thanks for this RA.  I can't wait to see the documentary.

April 16, 2023 11:30 am  #3

I actually attended one of their shows in the early 70s. My recollection was that it was comparable to other all-male groups who performed in the same time period. They did a significantly longer set than The Troggs, who only managed 55 minutes plus one encore. I did note, that apart from the band, the surrounding company was solely male. They had quite a following in the UK.

Last edited by Ian (April 16, 2023 11:32 am)

April 16, 2023 11:55 am  #4

Fanny actually appeared on the CHUM chart a few times in the 70's.  They charted 48 years ago in April 1975 with the single Butter Boy, which was dedicated to David Bowie.  

April 16, 2023 7:29 pm  #5

Well I've certainly heard of them.  I hung out with them when they would come to Toronto; in the early 70s.  I especially remember the Millington sisters. They sure knew how to Rock 'n' Roll.

Last edited by John D (April 16, 2023 7:31 pm)

May 21, 2023 12:08 am  #6

This documentary is airing on most PBS stations on Monday, May 22nd. So if you get your educational outlet from Detroit or Seattle, you may want to check the times and make sure it's being broadcast on that day.

But for some reason, WNED is not showing it in pattern. I just checked and learned the show featuring the group Fanny won't air in Buffalo until May 28th - and even then not until 11 PM. What a shame they've decided to seemingly throw it away out of prime time. 

There will also be a repeat on June 2nd at the ungodly hour of 3:30 AM, which likely means either way, it's DVR-time. Hey, but at least those of us who care to watch can get to see it, so in the end, I suppose that's a good thing. 

May 22, 2023 8:39 am  #7

May 28, 2023 12:16 am  #8

Just a reminder for those interested - this airs Sunday night at 11 PM on Channel 17. 

May 28, 2023 4:33 pm  #9

For those with a VPN set to the U.S., this special is now online.

You can see it here.

May 28, 2023 8:44 pm  #10

Thanks, RA. My DVR is locked and loaded.