sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2023 9:51 am  #1

CHUM Vs. CFTR: When Rivals Attacked

It's almost hard to fathom now, with one being a moderately successful all-news station and the other a low rated all-sports outlet, but most of us here can probably remember the days when CHUM and CFTR were two of the top titans in Toronto radio - and went after each other tooth and nail. 

I was reminded of the rivalry when I came across this article in my archives from April 1984, just shy of 40 years ago. It centered on the two biggest rock stations in the city unloading on their enemy with everything they had. Sadly, you don't see the same kind of competition anymore, with each station in town carving out its own niche audience. But as the article reveals, both watched the other carefully, circling like two lions hunting a rare prey - the ears of listeners. 

It's a reminder of a time when that kind of bitter battle made both stations better. Two quotes from the story show just how personal it became. 

"They do have a better signal than us, which has always been one of our headaches," admitted then P.D. Jim Waters, the son of CHUM owner Allan Waters. "But we're the first station to broadcast in AM stereo, so we're state of the art...and we're dumping 300 AM stereo Sonys into the market."

(I have absolutely no memory of that latter promotion, but I wish I could have been one of those who got one!) 

Meanwhile, over at CFTR, P.D. Sandy Sanderson had a few boasts and roasts of his own. 

"There is no love lost between us. They copy just about everything we do...I think we're a more fun-sounding family station. Almost all our gains in the past year have been at CHUM's expense. It will be a slow struggle, but we'll eventually win." 

Turns out he was right. CHUM eventually altered their format enough to allow CFTR to beat them, something that was top of mind for everyone at 680 even when I was there. Beating the iconic 1050 was the Holy Grail of Toronto radio at the time. It took a long time, but TR eventually won - until FM became the dominant force it remains to this day. And the players at both AM stations were forced to make huge changes, culminating in where they are today. 

A fascinating article and a look back at a time that is long since gone. But boy, was it fun while it lasted. 

April 10, 2023 11:22 am  #2

Re: CHUM Vs. CFTR: When Rivals Attacked

I noticed there's a sidebar in that article on the famous sign located inside CHUM - "Through this door passes the finest air staff in the world." Whatever became of that iconic plaque? Did someone take it with them when the station left 1331 Yonge St.? Did it move to the new building? (It can't quite match that boast these days!) What became of it? Anyone know?

(Courtesy Doug Thompson's CHUM Tribute site)

April 10, 2023 12:57 pm  #3

From https://www.fybush.com/site-20230317/:

“Through this door…”

Bell’s FM stations occupy one floor above, with CHUM-FM (104.5) taking pride of place in the corner studio with a million-dollar Toronto streetscape view. There’s at least one remnant of 1331 Yonge here: the sign on the studio door reading “Through this door passes the finest air staff in the world” was moved over here along with CHUM in 2009.

(CHUM’s AM side operates from the Agincourt studios these days, since it’s TSN Radio 1050 and integrated into the TSN TV operation out there.)

April 10, 2023 2:17 pm  #4

Thanks Lorne. Your research skills know no boundaries!

April 10, 2023 10:55 pm  #5

You don't see near as much competition like that anymore because many stations are owned by the same company. Nowadays it's a competition to see who can save the most money, and many media companies are trying to one up themselves in that regard.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

April 11, 2023 12:25 am  #6

Another surprise from the article is that Rogers tried to get the licence for what would eventually become MuchMusic, but it went to CHUM instead. Even when the station was for sale, they still missed it - Bell, the new owner of CHUM, kept it when they took over City TV. 

Of course, the cable version of Much (which would have been called something else entirely, since the name is an anagram of CHUM) is now a shadow of its former self and barely plays any music anymore. But it would have been a big feather in CFTR's cap had they gotten the licence over their arch rival all those years ago. 

April 11, 2023 4:44 pm  #7

I believe a certain legendary CHUM AM/FM air personality has that sign.  I can say no more!  In the CHUM Archives, I have the sign that said "Through this doors passes the finest operators in the world."  That was posted over the door to the control room.  That came down (and was stored in the basement) when CHUM built a new AM control room and the jocks went announce-op. 

April 11, 2023 7:50 pm  #8

Doug Thompson wrote:

I believe a certain legendary CHUM AM/FM air personality has that sign.  I can say no more!  In the CHUM Archives, I have the sign that said "Through this doors passes the finest operators in the world."  That was posted over the door to the control room.  That came down (and was stored in the basement) when CHUM built a new AM control room and the jocks went announce-op. 

So what's the provenance of the current version of that sign hanging above the CHUM-FM studio door on Richmond Street? 

(Apologies for the blurry picture!)

Last edited by fybush (April 11, 2023 7:50 pm)

April 11, 2023 8:40 pm  #9

That battle was a lot of fun to be a part of. The thing was, as time went by, you started to realize the guys at the other station were okay, the same as us. But at the time...enemies!

April 12, 2023 12:50 pm  #10

This article came out in April 1984 and I believe in the fall is when CFTR overtook CHUM in the ratings.  I was always surprised when CHUM bailed on top 40 in June 1986.  TR wasn't that far ahead of them in terms of cume but they had been leading 1050 overall for almost two years.

I  found it interesting when CFTR brought in one of the best on air talents in North America in August 1981 with John Landecker. As good as Landecker was, he lost the morning crown for top 40/rock to CHUM's Roger Ashby.  TR had been beating 1050 CHUM in the mornings for a couple of years with Jim Brady.  Maybe John Landecker wasn't as well known in Toronto as some thought. 

Landecker reportedly was bored at WLS and wanted to do mornings.  CFTR gave him this opportunity and his morning show was excellent and well promoted.  John had great rapport with the news team and traffic on air, but his longer produced bits were rare in Toronto radio.

I always liked and respected Landecker because he was a great top 40 announcer in addition to being an entertainer.  Some of the other big time jocks in this era were all entertainment,  with long self indulgent bits but were not good announcers.  Also liked that Landecker didn't make the show all about himself like so many others. 

April 12, 2023 2:14 pm  #11

That certain someone gave the sign back but I still have the operators sign in the CHUM Archives..  

Last edited by Doug Thompson (April 12, 2023 3:25 pm)

April 12, 2023 3:43 pm  #12

Interesting that the CRTC did not see Rogers as having sufficient financial and other resources to launch a music TV service.  The CRTC in the 1984 decision relied on the experience of CHUM and CityTV.  One might recall that Moses Znaimer was already programming music-related content on CityTV including "The New Music" and had music video shows on the station.  That apparently was part of the winning strategy.  One might also remember that there was a fairly strict policy of not awarding Pay and Specialty TV to cable companies.  Though that wasn't stated in the decision.  Some key quotes: (Rogers is CMTV). "The Commission was encouraged by the innovative and attractive programming alternatives presented by the three applicants for a music video specialty licence. The Commission recognizes, however, that such ambitious programming concepts can only be realized with substantial financial resources, supported by programming and marketing expertise. Notwithstanding the interesting and imaginative programming plans submitted by CMTV Canadian Music Television Ltd., the Commission was not convinced, based on the application and additional information presented at the hearing, that the applicant has sufficient financial resources to establish and operate a discretionary music video specialty service and, therefore, denies this application. The Commission found that the applications by CHUM Limited (CHUM/CITY-TV) and Rogers Radio Broadcasting Limited (Rogers) were both well-researched and financially sound, with substantial commitments for the development of a quality Canadian music video service. The Commission is convinced, however, that, based on the size of the potential Canadian market, only one video music network can be licensed at this time. Accordingly, for reasons stated below, the Commission approves the application by CHUM/CITY-TV for a licence to carry on a national, 24-hour-a-day, specialty music service to be distributed via satellite to cable television affiliates on a discretionary, user-pay basis. The Commission will issue a licence to CHUM/CITY-TV expiring 31 March 1989, subject to the conditions specified in this decision and in the licence to be issued. The competing application by Rogers is, therefore, denied. In. reaching its decision, the Commission has taken into consideration various factors, including the ownership and financial stability underlying the CHUM/CITY-TV application, the applicant's extensive experience in broadcasting, and its musical expertise and ongoing support for the development of Canadian musical talent. The Commission has also taken into account the high costs and economic risks involved in the development of such a discretionary music video specialty service and considers that, under the circumstances, CHUM/CITY-TV's plans for a conservative, cost-effective and gradual approach towards the development of a quality discretionary music specialty service, based on existing expertise and resources, represents the most realistic proposal with the greatest potential for success."

Last edited by tvguy (April 12, 2023 3:43 pm)

April 12, 2023 7:14 pm  #13

paterson1 wrote:

I  found it interesting when CFTR brought in one of the best on air talents in North America in August 1981 with John Landecker. As good as Landecker was, he lost the morning crown for top 40/rock to CHUM's Roger Ashby.  TR had been beating 1050 CHUM in the mornings for a couple of years with Jim Brady.  Maybe John Landecker wasn't as well known in Toronto as some thought. 

Actually, Tom Rivers took over as the morning man after Jay Nelson retired in December 1980. Tom was let go in September 1982. The story I heard was that his big, long, drawn-out bits didn't go over well with management, even though listeners seemed to love it. Roger Ashby moved into the slot and became the "temporary" morning man for about three years after Tom's departure.

Tom disappeared for a few months and then popped up doing weekends on CFTR while John Landecker was still doing mornings. He brought all his funny bits with him too. I remember him once doing a bit he called the "CFTR make-believe picnic", complete with crowd sound effects and his trademark off-the-wall characters. I remember one of his characters was getting all cranky because he couldn't start up the barbeque and needed some help. Then, all of a sudden, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown's "Fire" cues up, complete with Arthur proclaiming, "I am the GOD of HELLFIRE...and I bring you...FIRE!!!", to which the cranky character replied, "You'll do!!" Classic Tom Rivers stuff.

Landecker left in the fall of 1983 and then Tom slipped into the morning slot, something that CFTR heavily promoted. CFTR also became a more full-fledged Top 40 station by that time. Before then, they were playing an uneven mix of current hits and some gold thrown in. This was also during an era where many stations expected to win in the ratings by having a "resident funny guy". CFTR also had Mike Cooper in the afternoons, so they had two of them. Although CHUM had a talented group of jocks, there wasn't really anybody at the station that fit that description now, with Tom being gone. That was the one-two punch that CFTR needed and the one-two punch that CHUM definitely didn't need. 

The rest of course, is history. I remember reading somewhere that J. Robert Wood had later admitted that firing Tom Rivers was probably a mistake. That was the understatement of the century.

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (April 12, 2023 7:15 pm)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

April 12, 2023 7:33 pm  #14

Paul Jeffries wrote:

You don't see near as much competition like that anymore because many stations are owned by the same company. Nowadays it's a competition to see who can save the most money, and many media companies are trying to one up themselves in that regard.

PJ

It would also come across as tacky.

And there are so many brands in so many categories that the effectiveness is diminished.

April 13, 2023 9:01 am  #15

Thanks Paul, I could have written the line better.  Yes Tom Rivers took over from Jay Nelson and his morning show was excellent.  I remember his longer bits with the Swami and a few others.  CHUM was really rockin in this era even in the morning show.  I remember CHUM was playing a lot of music that TR wouldn't touch and both stations sounded great in the morning. 

Roger took over and against Landecker for about the second half of his stay in Toronto.  I remember Ashby's show as more relaxed and a little like what we would hear a few years down the road on CHUM FM.