sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2023 7:42 pm  #1

Host of The Rush wants your opinion

She's asking the question about which so many here have an opinion.

https://twitter.com/reshminair/status/1641210022410571777?s=20

March 29, 2023 7:46 pm  #2

Re: Host of The Rush wants your opinion

So they've talked to her and she's going to adjust and make it look like her decision based on listener feedback.

March 29, 2023 8:07 pm  #3

John Moore leads by almost 70%. But will she actually listen? I think talking over people is so ingrained in her character, so can't do the job if she doesn't do it.

We'll see. Well, others will see. I rarely listen any more. 

March 29, 2023 10:37 pm  #4

Well, Jerry has survived all these years and he is often not that listenable either.  In fact he gets easily befuddled, angry and rude with people who disagree with him and very condescending.

Radio like this is not entertaining, grows stale quickly and may explain why 1010's ratings are so low.  Other talk stations  in Vancouver, Montreal or Winnipeg seem to be much more popular than either AM 640 or 1010.  Although last that I heard, John Moore does reasonably well in the mornings.  

Talking over people you disagree with and not letting them finish their point is not professional whether it is from Jerry, Reshmi or anyone else. I am surprised why almost all of the pushback on here seems to be with Reshmi and not so much with Jerry.  

March 29, 2023 11:28 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

John Moore leads by almost 70%. But will she actually listen? 

With a 1.1 share, maybe it'll be the PD listening...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 30, 2023 11:32 am  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Well, Jerry has survived all these years and he is often not that listenable either.  In fact he gets easily befuddled, angry and rude with people who disagree with him and very condescending...

Talking over people you disagree with and not letting them finish their point is not professional whether it is from Jerry, Reshmi or anyone else. I am surprised why almost all of the pushback on here seems to be with Reshmi and not so much with Jerry. 

I've been thinking about this the past 24 hours and it occurred to me they can both be rude, condescending and difficult. But there is one big difference.

While both tend to attack callers they don't agree with, Jerry, for all his bombast, will let an invited guest come on the air and make his or her point, before countering with his own. Reshmi, at least at the beginning of her tenure because I haven't listened lately, was in the habit of interrupting everybody who disagreed with her - including her guests. 

I remember hearing her having a guy on from the government who was trying to explain a controversial policy matter. The instant he began to digress from the point she thought was morally right, she got this imperious tone in her voice and refused to let him speak. All listeners heard was her - with tiny little bits of the guest saying, "Yes, but..." or "But my point is..." only to not be allowed to continue.

She then told the guy, "I'm sorry we're out of time," and cut him off for good, throwing to break.  

Look, there's nothing wrong with two differing opinions. It can sometimes make for good radio. But if you're going to go to the trouble of inviting someone on as an expert - who has given up their time to agree to appear on your show - the very least you can do is allow them to make their point. And then you can pick it apart if you want. 

I don't know who that man was, but I can assure you the next time Nair's producer calls to ask him to come on for a comment, his only answer will be "no." And I wouldn't blame him. 

And that, to me, is the big difference. One at least lets a guest whose opinion he opposes speak. The other doesn't. You may not like the former. But the latter is unforgiveable in a radio host. 

March 30, 2023 11:51 am  #7

She doesn't want "our opinion".  She wants someone to tell her she is right.

To suggest to be "more like Jerry or John" is an insult to their talent.  They have decades in the trenches and are multilayered in their skill.  They are way more than "just their temperment".

If she truly wants to be successful she will learn what most fail to understand - her only job is to get more people to listen more often and for longer stretches.   It's not about right vs left or right vs wrong... it's about TSL.

March 30, 2023 4:20 pm  #8

More like Jerry or John?  The answer is either, because anything approaching some kind of listenable standard
would be a vast improvement.

Last edited by Walter (March 30, 2023 4:20 pm)

March 30, 2023 4:29 pm  #9

"Manners are a way of getting what you want without appearing to be an absolute swine."** Quentin Crisp

**Edit: originally messed up the wording and left out "appearing to be" 😑

On occasion when stuck with a truly rude guest during your radio show (Lee Aaron was one of mine) the above quote may be helpful. Politeness is a subtle but noticable eff you in the right hands.

On MITM John Moore is a master of nuance and giving the verbal cold shoulder to those unfortunate souls who think they can skate by a question or act badly.

Reshmi has adjusted her delivery to put a smile in her voice and is markedly more even in running the show. By the time summer rolls around she might surprise listeners and find a more effective way in her timing and tone to communicate with and challenge her guests.

Last edited by betaylored (March 30, 2023 6:20 pm)

March 30, 2023 5:09 pm  #10

betaylored wrote:

"Manners are a way of getting what you want without being an absolute swine." Quentin Crisp

Reshmi has adjusted her delivery to put a smile in her voice and is markedly more even in running the show. By the time summer rolls around she might surprise listeners and find a more effective way in her timing and tone to communicate with and challenge her guests.

Agreed, and even Jerry is better at letting people speak and somewhat less argumentative than when he first came on in 2010.  He was pretty bad and quite rude to callers and guests that he didn't seem to like or who didn't agree with him.  Always thought he was particularly rude to Kathleen Wynne when she was premier.  She never got rattled much when she came on his show but he often got a bit unglued.    

March 30, 2023 5:12 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

betaylored wrote:

"Manners are a way of getting what you want without being an absolute swine." Quentin Crisp

Agreed, and even Jerry is better at letting people speak and somewhat less argumentative than when he first came on in 2010.  He was pretty bad and quite rude to callers and guests that he didn't seem to like or who didn't agree with him.  Always thought he was particularly rude to Kathleen Wynne when she was premier.  She never got rattled much when she came on his show but he often got a bit unglued.    

True, Jerry has mellowed a bit or maybe he's like acquired taste, like olives. I've been tuning in and enjoying his show every now and then. 🍸

Last edited by betaylored (March 30, 2023 5:13 pm)

March 30, 2023 5:13 pm  #12

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

John Moore leads by almost 70%. But will she actually listen? 

With a 1.1 share, maybe it'll be the PD listening...

Unless they bring back an actual credible newsroom and not having TV people play radio... they will be sitting where they are for a while.   The shows all use to be supported by their newsroom, which gave them some reasonable credibility.   Now, the talk shows are all opinion with no backup from the newsroom.   They lack engagement, topics people care about.  Shows are changing too often.    Sadly the owners are looking at what can be done cheap, and not what is best for growth.    Same issue is happening over at 640.   

March 30, 2023 5:25 pm  #13

betaylored wrote:

I will take your word for it, since I rarely listen to her, beyond briefly tuning over during the spot breaks on 640 and then returning to the Corus station.

She is not unintelligent and I actually hope she does find her way. But she turned me off so much at the beginning that I just can't see myself coming back during that daypart.  

March 30, 2023 6:45 pm  #14

Earlier today Ms Nair blocked me on twitter after I wrote 'she is a talker' above a picture reference to Talkers Magazine. I don't think she knows what Talkers Magazine is. It's her job but I guess she is no mere Larry King or Rush Limbaugh.

March 31, 2023 6:58 am  #15

I used to work at Standard Radio when 1010 had a great market share. Over the years, with continuous yearly share erosion, the station isn't worth talking about as it has a microscopic share (Did I read 1%? LOL) . It doesn't warrant any comments about any of the shows because no one listens anymore except a few people here. I'm sure most of the station's audience is 60+..not exactly the optimum demo. The station is caught in a time warp.

I have never read newspaper editorials so I can form an opinion so why listen to the 55+ year old hosts or their so-called pundits. (even the word 'pundit' is out-of-date!) Give it a rest regarding 1010. Stop worrying about this show or that show or why this person isn't on air anymore. The market has spoken.

The station has no share, no up-to-date news and therefore, no impact in the market.

Last edited by peter (March 31, 2023 7:09 am)

March 31, 2023 8:36 am  #16

peter wrote:

I used to work at Standard Radio when 1010 had a great market share. Over the years, with continuous yearly share erosion, the station isn't worth talking about as it has a microscopic share (Did I read 1%? LOL) . It doesn't warrant any comments about any of the shows because no one listens anymore except a few people here. I'm sure most of the station's audience is 60+..not exactly the optimum demo. The station is caught in a time warp.

I have never read newspaper editorials so I can form an opinion so why listen to the 55+ year old hosts or their so-called pundits. (even the word 'pundit' is out-of-date!) Give it a rest regarding 1010. Stop worrying about this show or that show or why this person isn't on air anymore. The market has spoken.

The station has no share, no up-to-date news and therefore, no impact in the market.

Reshmi is their poster girl.

March 31, 2023 8:48 am  #17

peter wrote:

I don't entirely disagree with your point and frankly, I was alarmed that this one-time powerhouse has sunk so low in the ratings. But it happens to be one of the stations I do listen to, so I comment on it. I can't express any real opinion about say, Virgin 99.9, because I never tune it in. 

So yes, there is a concentration on 'RB and 640 on this board, because a lot of us listen to it. I can only say I would welcome anyone to comment on the goings-on at other stations in the market I don't monitor. In fact, I wish more people would post about the rest. But for better or worse, music stations - outside of firing or hiring new people - are pretty stable and there's often not a lot to say about them. But I would hope more people will, anyway.  

March 31, 2023 9:56 am  #18

The only show worth listening to is Vassy Kapelos and she is the only one on the station under 55 years of age. Yikes!

March 31, 2023 10:09 am  #19

A perfect example of what happens when a bottom-line corporation gets control.  The once-renowned CFRB newsroom has been destroyed their "Authoritative" news voices are a joke, the traffic department doesn't know what time it is and most of their programming seems to change based upon the weather.  All displayed in their latest numbers, a drop faster than the value of a share in TESLA.  Sad and embarrassing!

March 31, 2023 10:52 am  #20

peter wrote:

The only show worth listening to is Vassy Kapelos and she is the only one on the station under 55 years of age. Yikes!

*chuckles* how old are you peter? .. 

March 31, 2023 11:03 am  #21

grrrrr121 - why do you ask?

March 31, 2023 11:13 am  #22

g121 wrote:

peter wrote:

Reshmi also would be under 55.

g121 I think SOWNY is well represented by the 55+ and 60+ crowd.  Most of those registered for the site don't post anything and likely include more younger members.  We must bore the hell out of some of the younger observers!

However those of us that do post seem to be weighted more to the upper end demos!  We have more time to bitch, complain, and yell at the clouds.  "Well...back in MY day..." 

March 31, 2023 11:44 am  #23

peter wrote:

Podcast does well below average. Who wants to listen to two 70+ year old 'pundits'! zzzzzzzzz  

g121 wrote:

peter wrote:

peter wrote:

grrrrr121 - why do you ask?

just curious as you seem to equate age as a criteria for if someone is worth listening to .. 

age, be it young or old, is not in itself a qualifier as to the value of what's being said. 

April 1, 2023 7:32 am  #24

grrrrr121...Thanks for your 'deep' insight and philosophical take. 

I guess the aging hosts' content has something to do with a 1% market share for the once mighty 1010....

April 1, 2023 9:59 am  #25

peter wrote:

grrrrr121...Thanks for your 'deep' insight and philosophical take. 

I guess the aging hosts' content has something to do with a 1% market share for the once mighty 1010....

I do prefer an objective, non-prejudiced take to one of outright ageism. 

Who's your preferred Toronto talk radio hosts?

For the record, John Moore is the only host on Newstalk 1010 I like; John's superb.   The rest I take a hard pass on.   It's not their age, it's their style/approach/views I just don't like.  Vassy is excluded as I'm just not listening when her mid-day show is on & thus can't give an opinion.