sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 25, 2022 6:03 pm  #1

Transfer Deal Between Shaw and Rogers Nears Its End

This was breaking news a few minutes ago on City News..

Update, the original story has been pulled, and Can Press says the approval is still possible.
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/10/25/canadian-press-newsalert-ottawa-rejects-original-rogers-shaw-deal-leaves-door-open/

Last edited by paterson1 (October 25, 2022 6:27 pm)

October 25, 2022 6:16 pm  #2

Re: Transfer Deal Between Shaw and Rogers Nears Its End

Before this gets misinterpreted, this decision doesn't change much. Rogers had already agreed to offload Freedom; this just sets the conditions for that.

They're setting the stage to approve the overall deal.

October 25, 2022 6:42 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

Update, the original story has been pulled, and Can Press says the approval is still possible.
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/10/25/canadian-press-newsalert-ottawa-rejects-original-rogers-shaw-deal-leaves-door-open/

I have contacted CityNews of why they pulled it off their site and waiting for a response.

October 25, 2022 6:56 pm  #4

Here is a much more complete story from CBC.ca https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rogers-shaw-wireless-champagne-1.6614573

October 25, 2022 6:56 pm  #5

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I have contacted CityNews of why they pulled it off their site and waiting for a response.

It's been replaced with one with a lot less detail:

CBC also edited theirs down to two lines and took out the details.

October 25, 2022 7:05 pm  #6

I would draw your attention to a post I made a few hours ago, from the Minister in charge. I expressed some skepticism at the time, especially when he insists his government is dedicated to bringing down the price of Internet and cell phones. You can find his statement reproduced in full here

October 25, 2022 7:07 pm  #7

October 25, 2022 7:08 pm  #8

For those who missed it in an earlier thread, I received this email from the Minister in charge commenting on this. I didn't believe it when I first read that his 'government is dedicated to bringing down the price of Internet and cell phones,' since it seems the CRTC has done the exact opposite, and this latest "breaking" story does not change my mind. 

"Thank you for your correspondence, conveying your concerns regarding the proposed acquisition of Shaw Communications Inc. by Rogers Communications Inc. 

The Government of Canada has been clear that greater affordability, competition, and innovation in the telecommunications sector are critical in today’s society and economy, and these goals have been central to all our work in the sector. In this context, I share the concerns you and many Canadians have expressed regarding Rogers’ proposed acquisition of Shaw.

As Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, and as Canada’s spectrum regulator, I am strongly committed to our policies to promote competition and ensure cell phone affordability for Canadians.

As I have indicated before, I will not permit the wholesale transfer of Shaw’s wireless licences to Rogers, as it is fundamentally incompatible with our government’s policies for spectrum and mobile service competition. With this commitment in mind, I will ensure that the interests of Canadians are at the heart of any decisions I make on this issue.

Let me assure you that I will continue to use all the tools at my disposal to fight for more choices for consumers and to make life more affordable for Canadians. Competition is a driving force behind innovation and efficiency in the telecommunications sector, and has been a central commitment of our government since day one.

Once again, thank you for writing, and please accept my best wishes.

Sincerely,
The Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, P.C., M.P."

October 25, 2022 7:17 pm  #9

If Videotron gets Freedom Mobile, they will need to hold on to the company for 10 years.  Also Videotron will need to match their own lower rates in the rest of the country. Videotron wireless prices are on average 20% lower than what is offered in Ontario and Western Canada. 

October 25, 2022 11:21 pm  #10

October 26, 2022 12:28 am  #11

CBC video:

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 26, 2022 12:29 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 26, 2022 11:28 pm  #12

November 24, 2022 9:01 pm  #13

December 13, 2022 10:34 am  #14

The end is near on this issue, with the Competition Tribunal wrapping up hearings into the Rogers-Shaw deal and turning the final decision over to a judge. It's still not clear when his ruling will come down but whatever happens, the results will create controversy for one side - either those who support the deal or those decrying it. 

Experience has mostly shown that the Big Telcos always seem to get their way, no matter what the issue. The fact the CRTC has given its blessing is certainly a sign of that. But anything can happen.

So what do you think? Yea or nay? Will Rogers and Shaw become one or will officials decide this can't fly? How would you vote? And does anyone buy Rogers' arguments that buying Shaw will somehow create more competition?

Rogers-Shaw deal decision looms as Competition Tribunal hears closing arguments

December 13, 2022 2:16 pm  #15

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am ok with the deal, but obviously Rogers cannot take anymore wireless customers as part of this so this deal needs conditions such as selling Freedom to Videotron and also I think that other conditions should come from this.
Some conditions I can think of would be allowing customers to leave and go to another service provider such as Telus for home service and waiving any and all cancellation fees. Also maybe a condition of offering discounted services across Rogers service areas. Things like that. Also if Shaw's prices are higher than Rogers prices, then Shaw customers get the lowest price. Or vice versa. If Shaw service is cheaper then Rogers customers should get the Shaw pricing.

March 28, 2023 7:25 am  #16

The Rogers-imposed date of March 31 for the Shaw merger deal is fast approaching. But there's still no sign the powers-that-be are close to approving it. (Although I suspect it's almost inevitable.)

Rogers and Shaw still waiting for key ISED approval days ahead of new merger closing date