sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2023 12:41 am  #1

The Woman In An Iconic Picture Of The 60s Dies At Age 75

You've probably never heard of Bobbi Ercoline, but odds are good you've seen her plenty of times. She's the teen hugging her then-boyfriend in the iconic photo on the front of the Woodstock LP. The couple became famous for that single photograph and it helped somewhat change their lives, making them a symbol of a moment forever frozen in history. 

Ercoline originally told her mother she'd gone to church that morning in 1969, when the young couple ducked out to see what was happening in Bethel, N.Y.  But that little white lie couldn't stand the test of time.

"The day the Woodstock soundtrack came out, Corcoran bought a copy, and the group gathered to listen to it. They did not immediately realize they were pictured on the cover because they had looked first at the back of the record sleeve to see which songs had been included. 

“That’s when I realized I needed to tell my mother that I had gone to Woodstock,” Bobbi Ercoline told The New York Post in 2019, on Woodstock’s 50th anniversary."

Their story and the one behind the famous snapshot can be found at the link below. Ercoline was 75 when she passed away from leukemia on March 18th. But thanks to a lucky picture, she will forever remain a teenager and a symbol of the 60s.

The hug that became the symbol of Woodstock and hippiedom

[img]https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.415%2C$multiply_1.9577%2C$ratio_1.5%2C$width_756%2C$x_0%2C$y_0/t_crop_custom/q_62%2Cf_auto/c2c174d7e9dcafc5ed23ee001d1415de527715eb[/img]