sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2023 3:58 pm  #1

The Online Free Streaming Service You May Not Know About

Tubi, Pluto and CBC Gem have gotten a lot of publicity in the media lately, but I'm guessing not everybody has heard of Plex. It's a service available in most countries around the world, including Canada, and like its online competitors, it's packed with content and it's 100% free. 

It has all the usual movies and TV show choices, but also offers something I haven't seen from other streamers of its ilk - a series of free Stingray musical channels ranging from classical to the hits of the 70s. And there's even an option to listen to recent album releases by artists like Beyonce. There's also the usual live feeds of TV shows covering a wide range of genres from comedy to sci fi and beyond. 

You don't have to sign up for it, but I believe you may get more choice and options if you do. And beyond giving up your email address, it doesn't cost you anything. But Plex also offers one more thing that I haven't seen in other streaming services - an option to download a program that will send the audio and video to any device in your home. Not sure if it works, because I haven't tried it, but the amount of material available is impressive

That's just one of the items discussed in this review of the service on Bill Brioux's site and you can read it here:

Plex — so much more than reruns of The Fugitive

Or you can check out the site here.

March 24, 2023 4:29 pm  #2

Re: The Online Free Streaming Service You May Not Know About

Use it all the time

March 24, 2023 11:10 pm  #3

Re: The Online Free Streaming Service You May Not Know About

This has been on Roku for years.