sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2023 9:07 pm  #1

Where was VTR Productions in Toronto

Thanks to Bonusround.ca, I'm catching up on episodes of Test Pattern.
First of all, it's a travesty that there is not more info on the internet about host Dan Gallagher (RIP).

2nd, where was VTR Productions in Toronto located?  It appears that they no longer exists.
All I can really find is a 2015 SOWNY post about VTR Productions Demo Reels https://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=45
and that Fraggle Rock was shot there.

Where was this legendary production studio?

Davester.

March 23, 2023 9:22 pm  #2

Re: Where was VTR Productions in Toronto

VTR productions studios were on Yorkville along with Eastern Sound.  (Doug Thomson's old hangout.  Maybe he'll chime in.)

I attended a taping of "The Great Debate" back in the early 80s (with the rest of my college class) to see how a "real" production was done.  I also got into a taping of "Test Pattern" and walked away with a fistfull of gift cards for Country Style Donuts. 

March 23, 2023 9:24 pm  #3

47 Scollard St.

Studio 1 was the larger of the two studios.   CBC productions,  "King of Kensington", Global's "Anything Goes",  Pierre Berton series (various), Henson's "Fraggle Rock" , "Test Pattern" w/ Dan Gallagher, and Bill Carroll.

Studio 1 had audience seating/bleachers and 4 Philips cameras,,,

Studio 2 was smaller......  Sears commercials....

Shut down in the early 90s, the property was sold to developers, and was torn down, Condos are now on the site.

March 23, 2023 10:16 pm  #4

Eastern Sound was on Yorkville. VTR was on Scollard.  Connected by a hallway and a door back by Eastern Studio 3 (the studio Brian Nimens and I worked out of - I followed Brian after he left Eastern to start Sound Ideas).  That space is now the Four Seasons hotel. 

March 24, 2023 12:04 am  #5

Don’t forget “Wok With Yan” (not to be confused with Yan Can Cook)