sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2023 2:01 pm  #1

Four Major Rochester TV Stations Go "Next Gen 3.0"

Some who still get their TV over the air may remember when Channel 49 from Buffalo converted to full time digital NextGen 3.0, which means most televisions couldn't get their new signal. But to keep their presence on for the majority, other stations in the market began using one of their subcarriers to continue to keep all the Ch. 49 subcarriers available to viewers in Western New York and Southern Ontario.

I've long been skeptical that so-called "Next-Gen" HDTV is going to catch on, especially if you have to get a new set or a converter to get it. But they apparently aren't quite so convinced in Rochester, where four of the main outlets in town have all started broadcasting in the latest and supposedly greatest standard.

They are: WROC, WHAM, WUHF and the PBS channel, WXXI. I'm certain the same set-up is ongoing in the city, where the stations have maintained a "night light" of sorts for those with first-generation HDTVs.

So what is it, exactly?

"In addition to providing a new, improved way for broadcasters to reach viewers with advanced emergency alerts, NextGen TV features stunning video with brilliant color, sharper images and deeper contrast to create a more life-like experience.

"NextGen TV adds a new dimension to TV viewing, with vibrant video and new Voice+ dialogue enhancement that brings voices to the foreground. Movie theater-quality sound lets viewers hear every voice clearly and keeps volume consistent across channels. NextGen TV also can be enhanced with Internet content to enable viewers to get the most out of live sports, live news, and live events in real-time, without looking away from TV screens."

I'm sure SOWNY member Scott Fybush had a hand in this conversion somewhere, and hopefully, he'll be able to fill in the blanks about what this means for that market and the one in Buffalo, as well as how long before those "old" signals are turned off. 

I'm also curious about why WHEC, the NBC affiliate, isn't on the list.

Anyway, if this interests you, you can read the press release about the change here.

The future of OTA broadcasting is here, I'm just not entirely sure if anyone asked for it. 

March 23, 2023 2:16 pm  #2

Re: Four Major Rochester TV Stations Go "Next Gen 3.0"

Isn't WROC the NBC station?  I thought it was channel 8 (at least that's what I thought I remembered as a kid, when we could receive Rochester on rabbit ears out in Cayuga))

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 23, 2023 2:40 pm  #3

WROC and WHEC swapped affiliations in the late 80s.

March 23, 2023 3:46 pm  #4

So the way I read it, the ATSC 3 signal is on RF. 28 WUHF. For those with older sets [most], are they still able to get WUHF via some other host?

March 23, 2023 6:15 pm  #5

31-2 and 31-3 are muxed into WHAM.

March 25, 2023 9:13 am  #6

WUHF 31-1 ATSC 1 is now available over WROC RF 21

March 25, 2023 2:38 pm  #7

And we're hosting 31.4 on WXXI (RF 22)

Why no WHEC? You'd have to ask them... but their owner, Hubbard, is a much smaller player that often goes its own way technically, while Sinclair (WUHF and WHAM) and Nexstar (WROC) have made 3.0 a major corporate initiative.