sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2023 5:58 pm  #1

CityTV Reporter Fends Off Drunken Lout During Live St. Paddy's Day Hit

Michelle Mackey got the assignment to cover St. Patrick's Day in Toronto and to no one's surprise, they sent her to a bar where there were some intoxicated patrons. What happened next almost seems inevitable. 

Toronto Reporter Fends Off Drunk During Live St. Patrick's Day Coverage

March 20, 2023 6:34 pm  #2

Re: CityTV Reporter Fends Off Drunken Lout During Live St. Paddy's Day Hit

Ms. Mackey should have exercised her inner "Avril Lavigne" .. 

March 20, 2023 9:16 pm  #3

what was he doing beside standing there like an idiot?

March 20, 2023 9:50 pm  #4

I think I read somewhere that he made an obscene hand gesture to the camera while she was doing her stand-up, although it's not on that particular video snippet. But just his presence behind her was stalker-y and kind of creepy.

Doing live hits at these kinds of events is always a bit of a crapshoot, whether it's St. Patrick's Day or a sporting event where there's been some alcohol consumed. You just never know what some jackass is going to do when you're not expecting it.

I remember we used to send out an extra body as security whenever a reporter was exposed and out in the open, to kind of intercept these idiots. But I'm guessing with cutbacks etc., there simply isn't enough staff to provide that service anymore.  

But even then, you never know. One night a long time ago, we took a weather shot (no reporter, just a scene setter) out on, I think it was Queen St. It was the middle of a very warm summer afternoon and right at that second, and I believe purely by chance as he had no way of knowing when we were going to it live, a guy walked by the camera during the 6 PM news stark naked. What he was doing out on the street in that condition we never did figure out. 

It was so obvious that the anchor had to come back on and apologize for those who saw "something we didn't mean to show." But that's one of the dangers of live TV, even when a reporter isn't present. It gave a whole new meaning to the term news "flash!"

March 21, 2023 10:24 am  #5

This is why so many stations are moving to shots only done in a controlled studio environment, OR doing shots outside away from people when live.   Had a guy covered the story, this stuff would have never happened.    Next time, they may decide to just do a taped segment,.   Sadly doesn't look as good, but if they have to do it to avoid people acting like this.. 

Last edited by radiokid (March 21, 2023 10:33 am)

March 21, 2023 10:34 am  #6

If you choose to go outside to cover a live hurricane...hurricane shit is bound to happen...

March 21, 2023 11:36 am  #7

There's another clip on the link that Radioactive included that shows the jerk making a hand gesture that stands for cunnilingus.  In other words he seemed to be suggesting having oral sex with her.
I that unacceptable enough?

March 21, 2023 7:15 pm  #8

This story outlines a little more about what the guy did. 

Reporter Shuts Down Man For Making Lewd Gesture Behind Her On Live TV