sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2023 1:37 pm  #1

While listening to this morning's Sweet Seasons, with Dale Patterson.

While listening to this morning's Sweet Seasons, with Dale Patterson, Dale played a Burton Cummings song that I hadn't listened to in some time - 'You Saved My Soul'. Thank you, Dale.

What a great singer / songwriter / keyboardist / producer. Now that Burton has reached his 75th birthday, I got to wondering how long before we lose him too, so, I'm going to celebrate his incredible talent before we do. Join me.

His solo career produced many excellent songs, so here's a few from after The Guess Who broke up in 1975...

1976: Stand Tall

1977: My Own Way to Rock

1978: Break It to Them Gently

1978: I Will Play a Rhapsody

1980: Fine State of Affairs

1981: You Saved My Soul

And, of course, there were all of his hits as lead singer and keyboardist for The Guess Who. What a massive Canadian talent.

March 18, 2023 9:37 am  #2

Re: While listening to this morning's Sweet Seasons, with Dale Patterson.

I couldn't agree more DT. In my opinion Burton has one of the all time great voices in pop/rock music.

March 18, 2023 10:35 am  #3

I'm a huge Guess Who/Cummings fan.  My very 1st concert was in the early 70s seeing the Guess Who at Exhibition Stadium for their Album#10 tour.  Personally, I really, really like what Kurt Winter's guitar work brought to the band.

Some of my personal Guess Who favs which highlight both Cummings as a vocalist as well as lyricist.

March 18, 2023 10:19 pm  #4

Dial Twister wrote:

While listening to this morning's Sweet Seasons, with Dale Patterson, Dale played a Burton Cummings song that I hadn't listened to in some time - 'You Saved My Soul'. Thank you, Dale.

What a great singer / songwriter / keyboardist / producer. Now that Burton has reached his 75th birthday, I got to wondering how long before we lose him too, so, I'm going to celebrate his incredible talent before we do. Join me.

His solo career produced many excellent songs, so here's a few from after The Guess Who broke up in 1975...

1976: Stand Tall

1977: My Own Way to Rock

1978: Break It to Them Gently

1978: I Will Play a Rhapsody

1980: Fine State of Affairs

1981: You Saved My Soul

And, of course, there were all of his hits as lead singer and keyboardist for The Guess Who. What a massive Canadian talent.

Thanks for the plug! Every Friday between 10 a.m. and noon we spotlight a different season in pop music history. Next week will be the spring of 1979; the following week it will be the spring of 1966. Check it out at northumberland897.ca.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 18, 2023 11:49 pm  #5

g121 wrote:

I'm a huge Guess Who/Cummings fan.  My very 1st concert was in the early 70s seeing the Guess Who at Exhibition Stadium for their Album#10 tour.  Personally, I really, really like what Kurt Winter's guitar work brought to the band.

Some of my personal Guess Who favs which highlight both Cummings as a vocalist as well as lyricist.

Completely coincidentally, this article went up on "American Songwriter.com" Saturday. 

Top 10 Songs by The Guess Who

March 19, 2023 8:29 am  #6

Dale Patterson wrote:

Thanks for the plug! Every Friday between 10 a.m. and noon we spotlight a different season in pop music history. Next week will be the spring of 1979; the following week it will be the spring of 1966. Check it out at northumberland897.ca.

Dale's program is well worth the listen, OTA or online. And so is this interview/performance combo by Burton Cummings on The Howard Stern Show, on November 4, 1994. That boy sure can play and sing!

March 21, 2023 5:58 pm  #7

Speaking of the Guess Who, mentioned elsewhere in this thread, this really irritates me. I came across this article from a La Crosse, Wisconsin newspaper. The Guess Who is appearing in that city this week, but like their name, Guess Who they are. Without Cummings and Bachman, they're not really the Guess Who at all, although there is one original member.

What a cheat if you go see whoever this is.

March 21, 2023 7:38 pm  #8

Jim Kale, bassist for The Guess Who, realizing that there was still an audience for the band’s music and that its name had never been registered, reformed The Guess Who with Peterson, Winter and McDougall, and acquired legal rights to the name. This was after Bachman, and then Cummings, had already left the band.

I'm betting that Randy and Burton would do that differently if they had the chance for a do-over.

March 21, 2023 9:07 pm  #9

Van Halen turned into Van Hager.
Genesis without Peter Gabriel, well that one's up for debate.
And who on earth would want to go and see the current irritatingly irrelevant iteration of The Guess Who.

Last edited by betaylored (March 21, 2023 9:08 pm)

March 21, 2023 9:55 pm  #10

betaylored wrote:

And who on earth would want to go and see the current irritatingly irrelevant iteration of The Guess Who.

Could be why they're playing in La Crosse, Wisconsin!

Meanwhile, the real thing is touring western Canada this summer, although there are no dates set yet for Ontario.

March 22, 2023 12:08 am  #11

A few years ago I got curious about where this current Guess Who group was playing -- and not playing. Not only do they mostly play smaller towns, but as I had suspected they hardly ever play any Canadian dates. I just had a quick look through their list of upcoming and past shows at https://www.theguesswho.com/on-tour/, and I only saw one Canadian location (Sherbrooke). That speaks volumes about their lack of legitimacy.