sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2023 11:42 am  #1

AM 640 Getting A Beer Named After It

Talk about odd branding. AM 640's latest contest involves asking listeners to name a brand of beer after the station. They've partnered with a local brewery to produce some 640-related suds and the prize is a $100 gift certificate for that beer maker. 

But lest you think "Beery McBeerface" is a possibility, the station has narrowed it down to three choices and you can't suggest one of your own. The possibilities are "Breaking Brews", "640 PM," or "Dial-lager." I get two of them but perhaps as a non-tippler I'm missing the point behind "640 PM." How would that sound? I'll have an "AM 640 PM." That makes no sense to me. 

It's kind of an odd marriage between station and product. But then again, if you listen long enough, there are times what's on 640 is enough to drive you to drink. So there's that. 

Contest details here. 

March 14, 2023 11:47 am  #2

Re: AM 640 Getting A Beer Named After It

I only drink Union made beer.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

March 14, 2023 12:22 pm  #3

I don’t know what you call it, but it should have .8% alcohol to reflect their 25-54 numbers.

March 14, 2023 1:26 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

But lest you think "Beery McBeerface" is a possibility, the station has narrowed it down to three choices and you can't suggest one of your own. The possibilities are "Breaking Brews", "640 PM," or "Dial-lager." I get two of them but perhaps as a non-tippler I'm missing the point behind "640 PM." How would that sound? I'll have an "AM 640 PM." That makes no sense to me.

My guess is that the idea behind 640 PM may be that it's a time of day when people drink beer. Possible slogan: "It's 640 PM somewhere." 

March 14, 2023 1:27 pm  #5

It would be more interesting if listeners could submit their own names for the beer. Also, why not encourage listeners to submit logo ideas, which could be placed on the web site.

I don't know what "AM 640 PM" means either. Beery McBeerface might have actually been a good option.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 14, 2023 2:04 pm  #6

Socks are much easier.

Everybody loves great socks.

Last edited by betaylored (March 14, 2023 2:04 pm)

March 14, 2023 3:06 pm  #7

Hammy wrote:

I don’t know what you call it, but it should have .8% alcohol to reflect their 25-54 numbers.

Too soon.

March 14, 2023 3:15 pm  #8

Beer seems a bit off brand with the way the station is skewing of late. I’d suggest a Pinot Grigio.

March 14, 2023 3:42 pm  #9

I like the name Breaking Brews.  
Brews talk also sounds like a great talk show.   
(might make a better TV program though, lol)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 14, 2023 4:03 pm  #10

How about Hard Lager 

March 14, 2023 4:19 pm  #11

Do they have to keep "lager" tapes?

March 14, 2023 5:19 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

Do they have to keep "lager" tapes?

Groooaann

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

March 17, 2023 9:44 am  #13

And the winner, if you can call it that, is "Breaking Brews." For whatever that's worth. 

March 17, 2023 10:55 am  #14

Corus has done this type of beer collaboration before - they’ve been doing this in Vancouver for a few years, but with CFOX, which is rock. I’m surprised they’d pick 640 in Toronto and not Q or The Edge.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (March 17, 2023 10:55 am)

March 17, 2023 11:10 am  #15

Edge and Q did one with a different brewery last summer

March 17, 2023 11:20 am  #16

This particular promotion was aligned with St. Patrick's Day. Hence the big reveal on March 17th.

March 17, 2023 12:27 pm  #17

I actually have some insight here, as a Great Lakes Brewery partner for several years. Great Lakes Brewery recently opened the GLB Brewpub on Jarvis at Queens Quay, and that's mere steps from Corus Quay.

So that was the spark here. Early next month, I'm actually recording live at GLB Brewpub during an AM640 event, so people like Greg Brady, Kelly Cutrara, Alex Pierson, Dani Stover, etc. will sit down and field my questions.

You'll be able to hear this ep on April 7, and yes, I'm happy to ask the 640 peeps any and all questions you may have.

March 18, 2023 3:53 pm  #18

640 questions:

why hasn't the station developed a couple of up and coming on-air people to sit in for ill and vacationing regular hosts to keep your audience engaged and entertained? are there any plans to do so in future?

what's up with the rerolls? (see above)

why is there a lack of serious breaking news and weather coverage during rerolls and on weekends?

will 640 be doing a live event at the new Zellers? (couldn't resist.)

Last edited by betaylored (March 18, 2023 8:56 pm)

March 18, 2023 3:54 pm  #19

torontomike wrote:

I actually have some insight here, as a Great Lakes Brewery partner for several years. Great Lakes Brewery recently opened the GLB Brewpub on Jarvis at Queens Quay, and that's mere steps from Corus Quay.

So that was the spark here. Early next month, I'm actually recording live at GLB Brewpub during an AM640 event, so people like Greg Brady, Kelly Cutrara, Alex Pierson, Dani Stover, etc. will sit down and field my questions.

You'll be able to hear this ep on April 7, and yes, I'm happy to ask the 640 peeps any and all questions you may have.

See above for a couple. 😁

Last edited by betaylored (March 18, 2023 3:54 pm)

March 18, 2023 8:22 pm  #20

I have one and it's pretty grim. I'm sure she won't want to hear it. 

I enjoy a lot of AM 640's programming and would hate to see anything change. But the numbers for the station have been pretty dismal for years. In the last book, it had an 0.8 in the 25-54 demo. How long can Corus continue to hang on to a relatively expensive format with numbers like that?  

April 8, 2023 9:17 am  #21

Thursday night I set up my studio in the GLB Brewpup and recorded for 2.5 hours with Anthony Farnell, Troy Burtch, Fabian Skidmore, Alan Carter, Jason Chapman, Corey Manuel, Dan Speerin, Pina Crispo, Patrick Malkin, Kelly Cutrara, Rob Johnston, Edward Keenan, Rebecca Cuneo Keenan, Vince Tedesco, Dani Stover, Greg Brady, Rachel Brady, Alex Pierson, and Dave Bradley.

There's a lot of inside baseball here, and I think anyone interested in Toronto radio may enjoy the ride.

https://www.torontomike.com/2023/04/toronto-miked-crashes-the-640-toronto-partyedward-keenan-toronto-miked-podcast-episode-1233/

April 8, 2023 2:05 pm  #22

inside little league and oakley shrewd as ever knew to steer clear

April 8, 2023 4:27 pm  #23

Mr.Aldred wrote:

inside little league and oakley shrewd as ever knew to steer clear

Oakley doesn't appear to give a rat's ass.  It seems like he's away more than he's there, and when he is, he's guffawing (for no good reason), while 'interviewing' some yokel from Wisconsin who advertised for a wife on a billboard, or taking a break while Frank Stronach rambles on in some language resembling English for 20 minutes.  He's the best talent on GTA radio, and is totally wasted.

May 18, 2023 10:51 am  #24

What is it with Corus stations and beer? After AM640 here made a big deal in March about naming a beer after the station, the latest outlet to join the brew parade is the company's FM96 in London. This one is named after the morning crew and will be called "Mic Czech" (Mic Check, in case it didn't click in.) 

Is this going on at any other Corus stations in the chain? It's enough to drive you to drink!

Powerhouse Brewing and FM96 London Release Taz & Jim’s Mic Czech Lager

May 18, 2023 12:56 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

What is it with Corus stations and beer? After AM640 here made a big deal in March about naming a beer after the station, the latest outlet to join the brew parade is the company's FM96 in London. This one is named after the morning crew and will be called "Mic Czech" (Mic Check, in case it didn't click in.) 

Why did they leave out Y 108? It's the same morning show on both stations...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 18, 2023 1:02 pm  #26

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Why did they leave out Y 108? It's the same morning show on both stations...

Because it's a sales partnership with a local London brewery.

May 18, 2023 4:35 pm  #27

i like the name, "soon we won't be heard in new cars, so let's get drunk" beer.

May 18, 2023 4:48 pm  #28

Actually it's FM96, so their signal should be safe in the dashboard - at least for now! Perhaps CFPL-AM should find a new brew.

May 18, 2023 5:29 pm  #29

Rock 95 Barrie also promoting a beer produced out of Collingwood.