sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2023 4:26 pm  #1

What Happens To AM Radio If Daylight Saving Time Becomes Permanent?

Here's an aspect of the time switch I never really thought about - the effect on AM stations, especially those weak ones that are still daytimers. 

As the U.S. ponders getting rid of the semi-annual time shift (and Ontario has already pledged to follow suit), at least one radio group owner is warning it could be yet another death blow for low powered AM stations, which are already struggling to survive. 

"They explained that most AM stations must follow a sunrise and sunset schedule that can reduce their transmitter power and coverage. The Salem leaders said the bill would reduce coverage in the crucial morning drivetime hours.

“This issue would be even more detrimental during the darkest days of November, December, January and February, when AM stations would not be at full power until at least 8 a.m.,” they wrote.

“From a programming and revenue standpoint, the morning drive daypart is still one of the most significant dayparts on an entire radio station. It’s the daypart that generates the most amount of revenue and is a cornerstone for the rest of the programming day.”

I don't think Canada has that many - if any - daytime only AM outlets left, so it won't be such a big deal here, although it would delay even the major stations from changing their pattern. I'm sure it won't be even a part of the decision, if it ever comes, but it's something else to consider as this seemingly "timeless" debate continues.

Owner Warns of Dire Consequences If Congress Messes With Daylight Saving Time

March 13, 2023 10:03 pm  #2

Re: What Happens To AM Radio If Daylight Saving Time Becomes Permanent?

Two day-timers in Buffalo 1120 and 1080 but both feed translators so when they get on air is of no consequence.
Sunrise will be nearly 9 so that would impact those with day/night patterns like 680 1010 or 1050 or..