sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2023 6:05 pm  #1

The Guy Who Makes A Living Saving Old TV

I love to save old TV stuff and most here know I have various TV Guides dating back as far as 1953, before it was even a national publication. Then there's Ed Conroy, who's a serious collector of television as seen in Ontario (and I'm proud to say, a SOWNY member) whose Retrontario site is a marvel to behold. 

But few people can claim to actually have made a living by saving and preserving all forms of old media, including kinescopes, ancient TV shows, old station IDs, and even those hoary old films they used to show you in classrooms about how to properly date or treat a girl. 

His name is Ira Gallen and he's amongst the world's best known TV archivists. He will literally drive anywhere or do anything to get his hands on old VTR tapes or paraphernalia that some TV or radio station might be throwing away because they don't have room for them anymore.

So how does he make a living off that? He sells these rare and vintage bits of history to producers, who may want to have a certain vintage TV show or old commercial showing on a set in a movie to recreate a bit of history and reality, but have no idea where to get it. 

Back when I had a 10' satellite dish, Gallen's old New York City cable show, called "Biograph Days, Biograph Nights" was on every week on some obscure channel and you'd never know exactly what you'd see. The program was an amalgam of black and white Warner Bros. cartoons, vintage commercials, ancient videos and even long lost movie clips or interviews. It was an amazing hour and I never missed it. 

But while I don't think the show is still on, the Internet has taken its place and Ira has a huge presence on YouTube. His subsite there, called TV Days, has a treasure trove of material you'll never see anywhere else.

There's a Topo Gigio video, a commercial for an unsuccessful Post cereal called "Corn Crackos," the Chiquita Banana jingle, a 1945 newsreel, a Howdy Doody Christmas, a 1948 instructional video called "Your Movie Camera and How To Use It," an old TV bowling show, Mr. Magoo for GE bulbs, and several episodes of an old NBC kids show called "Rootie Kazootie." And believe me that doesn't even begin to list them all. 

Two that fit SOWNY are embedded here. One is an RCA presentation for a new tape "cartridge" circa 1957, that I've never seen before, but it appears to have been a large early version of what would one day become the cassette. 

And then there's a spot for an RCA portable transistor radio that comes with its own stand, in a "guaranteed non-breakable IMPAC case."

You can see what's on offer here. But beware - this site is a giant time waster. And I can't think of a better way to waste it!

March 12, 2023 9:37 pm  #2

Re: The Guy Who Makes A Living Saving Old TV

I have heard about that original cassette cartridge. Techmoan and others have done videos about them and why the format failed:

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 12, 2023 10:27 pm  #3

I have to say I'd never heard of that particular product, but it looks like it didn't last long. Too big and perhaps too ahead of its time? Or maybe the sound wasn't that great. 

Back when I was at CKEY, we had an Elcaset, a tape that was at least two or three times larger than a normal cassette and required a special player. The audio was more like a reel-to-reel output, with a wider tape and a faster speed than the hissy noise of its smaller counterpart and we used it to record long newsfeeds. (You can see its size in comparison to its more successful cousin in the photo below.)

One problem with the Elcaset was that it was very difficult to cue something up and of course, you could never edit on them, having to transfer something to reel first if you wanted to make a cut. 

'EY was the only place I ever heard of that used them and they didn't last long. The Sony product, while producing pretty good sound, was introduced around 1976, never caught on and was gone for good around two years later, although we kept ours in the news production studio for a few years after that. 

March 12, 2023 11:22 pm  #4

I was young when the Elcaset came out, but I wanted this so bad.  The bank of Mom and Dad weren't able to assist (and just as well, because eventually, cassette lined up with Elcaset's performance quite nicely, albeit with the use of noise reduction.)  I'm sure at 3.75 IPS speed, Elcaset would have improved too had it survived.

I'm surprised to hear of it being used as a pro-sumer format though.  To me, it was just a high-end cassette deck in a larger form factor.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton