sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2023 5:49 pm  #1

The Rise and Fall and Rise? of MuchMusic

https://www.blogto.com/music/2014/07/the_rise_and_fall_of_muchmusic_from_crucial_tv_to_bust/

Solid article and lots of great clips looking back at the good ol'days. It's easy to forget what a force Much was, but it really was.

Could it be time for a relaunch. It might even be successful and a heck of a lot of fun. Do a hybrid of music videos, live performances of up and coming bands like Inhaler and Nation of Language and maybe add music movies and documentaries.

Last edited by betaylored (March 11, 2023 5:50 pm)

March 11, 2023 6:04 pm  #2

Re: The Rise and Fall and Rise? of MuchMusic

As a linear cable channel? Not a chance. 

Inhaler are playing the Danforth Music Hall in two weeks, a venue with a capacity of 1,500. They wouldn't even fill that if the lead singer weren't Bono's son.

"Bands" are pretty much done.

March 11, 2023 7:38 pm  #3

Much did relaunch as a digital network with Tik Tok a few years back with new VJ's and updated versions of some of their old shows.  I know nothing about the new network, but their Tik Tok account has 2.8 million followers and the twitter has 881 thousand followers.  So is that good?  Beats me.  Don't know how long the deal with Tik Tok is for. 

I agree that Much Music was a force in the day and was a very ambitious music station that managed to be mainstream, alternative, cool/not so cool and fun all at the same time.  

Would be nice if Bell brought back the MMVA's or some sort of music awards show.  They could run the special on Much and CTV like they did prior to COVID.  I enjoyed the MMVA's more than the Junos or Grammy Awards, and loved the fact it was produced inside and outside of 299 Queen.    

beytaylored you might be interested that Crave will be running the two hour documentary on Much Music titled 299 Queen Street West.  The debut for the doc is at the SXSW film festival in Austin Texas later this month.  Crave will stream the program later this year. https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/crave-original-documentary-299-queen-street-west-dives-into-the-heart-of-muchmusics-trailblazing-origins/ 

March 12, 2023 12:21 pm  #4

I can't imagine the MMVA's coming back, though I agree they were one of, if not the best, music awards shows.

The Canadian Dollar sinking against the US had made it much more expensive to book headlining acts at the same time production costs have risen sharply. (Same reason there are far fewer music festivals lately)

Couple that with declining advertising and splintering viewership and the event would certainly lose money.

March 12, 2023 6:22 pm  #5

It was a mistake moving the MMVA awards to August in 2018.  This was a conflict with the MTV awards which at that time were also held in August.  Sounds like it was intentional.  Gave Bell an excuse to cancel in 2019 and then of course COVID set in 2020-22 so you are right they won't be back.

I doubt if the Grammy's or even the MTV Awards make much money any longer.  As you mentioned the higher production costs, splintered audience and low ad revenue.  The Grammy ratings have cratered.

March 12, 2023 11:25 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Much did relaunch as a digital network with Tik Tok a few years back with new VJ's and updated versions of some of their old shows.  I know nothing about the new network, but their Tik Tok account has 2.8 million followers and the twitter has 881 thousand followers.  So is that good?  Beats me.  Don't know how long the deal with Tik Tok is for. 

I agree that Much Music was a force in the day and was a very ambitious music station that managed to be mainstream, alternative, cool/not so cool and fun all at the same time.  

Would be nice if Bell brought back the MMVA's or some sort of music awards show.  They could run the special on Much and CTV like they did prior to COVID.  I enjoyed the MMVA's more than the Junos or Grammy Awards, and loved the fact it was produced inside and outside of 299 Queen.    

beytaylored you might be interested that Crave will be running the two hour documentary on Much Music titled 299 Queen Street West.  The debut for the doc is at the SXSW film festival in Austin Texas later this month.  Crave will stream the program later this year. https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/crave-original-documentary-299-queen-street-west-dives-into-the-heart-of-muchmusics-trailblazing-origins/ 

appreciate the heads up and will keep an eye out for the Much doc paterson1! 😁

March 14, 2023 2:38 pm  #7

March 14, 2023 3:41 pm  #8

Interesting article. I note that several readers caught an error in the text. It was "Electric Circus" not "Electric Circuit." One of those correcting it was Ellen Baine, who, if memory serves, was a one-time publicist/programmer at City TV during those days. 

March 14, 2023 5:35 pm  #9

For the music video aspect im loving Stingray Retro.  All day music videos from the 80s to 2000s.  I believe this channel took over Much More Retro. 

March 14, 2023 11:26 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Interesting article. I note that several readers caught an error in the text. It was "Electric Circus" not "Electric Circuit." One of those correcting it was Ellen Baine, who, if memory serves, was a one-time publicist/programmer at City TV during those days. 

Also the statement about Much Music arguably rivaling and maybe surpassing MTV in Canada isn't correct.  MTV was never a rival for MM in Canada.  They did compete a bit in the US when MuchUSA was on cable and MTV had begun to copy some of Much Music's on air presentation and style.

March 15, 2023 1:32 am  #11

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Also the statement about Much Music arguably rivaling and maybe surpassing MTV in Canada isn't correct.  MTV was never a rival for MM in Canada.  They did compete a bit in the US when MuchUSA was on cable and MTV had begun to copy some of Much Music's on air presentation and style.

Spot on.  The original MTV Canada wasn't even licensed as a music station so it was very limited in the amount of music it could play.  If I recall it operated under the license for Talk TV.  MTV International pulled the rights to the MTV branding when it was going to come under the same ownership as Much until Bell somehow managed to revive it and MTV Canada became a complimentary service to Much.