sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2023 6:22 pm  #61

Re: Who This Woman?

I'm not sure why I keep exposing myself to this audio torture, but when AM 640 went to a spot break, I tuned in The Rush on Friday. The guest was Jim Richards, and the subject was a male politician allegedly taking a misogynistic tone with a female cabinet minister during a hearing in Ottawa. 

Reshmi Nair, of course, was firmly on the side of the man being a horrible human being and instantly guilty of the charge. Jim Richards, who heard the exact same clip, disagreed, saying he didn't get that impression. She immediately lit into him, constantly interrupting him as he tried to explain his point and taking that imperious "I know better than you" tone that many find so hard to take. 

In other words, she took the same tone she accused both the politician and Richards of taking, proving that not only is she difficult to listen to, but she clearly doesn't understand the definition of hypocrisy. 

I wish someone would talk to her about this, especially now that she's on solo, with no co-host. There actually could be a spark of a decent radio talent if only she wasn't so insistent that if you don't take her side, you're the enemy and you shouldn't be given the opportunity to speak.

It's called "talk radio" for a reason. You have to let both sides talk. Until she learns that lesson, this show remains unlistenable. 

March 10, 2023 9:13 pm  #62

RadioActive wrote:

.. She immediately lit into him, constantly interrupting him as he tried to explain his point and taking that imperious "I know better than you" tone that many find so hard to take .. 

to paraphrase, she's a Jerry Agar disciple .. same hosting style/manner ..

March 10, 2023 9:23 pm  #63

g121 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

.. She immediately lit into him, constantly interrupting him as he tried to explain his point and taking that imperious "I know better than you" tone that many find so hard to take .. 

to paraphrase, she's a Jerry Agar disciple .. same hosting style/manner ..

👍

March 11, 2023 8:07 am  #64

haha....she should have Jerry Agar on some time.  I'm sure that would be interesting!

March 11, 2023 10:30 am  #65

Interesting that this thread has over 14,000 views and 64 replies that are more or less all negative on Reshmi and her style on the air. 

As g121 pointed out at the beginning of this thread and even yesterday, both Reshmi and Jerry Agar have a similar style. Yet he doesn't get the same volume of negative reaction on SOWNY that she does. 

I have always found Mr. Agar hard to listen to, and not because I often disagree with his points.  His style of bluster and swagger is odd.  He often sounds like he is going to burst at the seams when trying to say two different things at the same time.  He also does something which I have never heard another talk show host do.  He literally says "Duh" a lot when he pauses or thinking about what to say. 

The times I have listened to Reshmi with or without a co-host, she sounded fine to me.  However I don't listen to the show much and have never heard one of these confrontations or her talking over and being rude to guests or callers.

March 11, 2023 11:04 am  #66

I agree with Paterson1. The difference in the reactions is either sexist or political because to my ear the similarities are obvious.

March 11, 2023 12:00 pm  #67

Rune wrote:

I agree with Paterson1. The difference in the reactions is either sexist or political because to my ear the similarities are obvious.

Yep. Reshmi's style has been AM talk radio's SOP for decades; it's just easier to digest when your share the host's opinions or they "sound like" you.

For everyone hating on her here, this is how most AM talk radio has always sounded like to everyone else, and the reason no amount of younger hosts or moves to FM are going to save it.

March 11, 2023 12:15 pm  #68

There is a difference between assertive and insistence. Nair is insistent. (though recently a more conversational tone unfolding - thank you RT)
I have heard Agar adopt this less civilized approach on occasion but it is not his SOP. I think he is a source of irritation for some here because he has talent.

March 11, 2023 12:43 pm  #69

67GreenRambler wrote:

There is a difference between assertive and insistence. Nair is insistent. (though recently a more conversational tone unfolding - thank you RT)

I assume the "thank you RT" refers to Robert Turner, who's management around there now.

I have noticed that this week, in the format without co-hosts, her tone has began to change somewhat to a more embracing and slowed-down "Welcome in, how are you? We'll get you get home in this weather...", etc. vibe. More directly addressing the listeners vs. the other co-host in the room (or via remote). Of course, with no constant co-host to banter or argue with (or talk over) - she can still do this to guests joining her for specific segments including other 1010 staff -  one has to modify the approach so whether she was coached on this or the program "re-imagined" slightly or it just came with the turf and was necessary/instinctual, I did notice a slight shift.

March 11, 2023 1:07 pm  #70

67GreenRambler wrote:

.. I have heard Agar adopt this less civilized approach on occasion but it is not his SOP. I think he is a source of irritation for some here because he has talent.

I vehemently disagree.  This is Agar's SOP pretty much all the time .. 

I begrudgingly tolerant Agar on Moore's round tables  but come 9:05am, it's a rare event that I last more than 10 minutes with Agar doing his own show.  "Talent" is not a word I'd associate with Agar.   Whenever Agar subs for Moore in the Morning, I'm on a different station. 

March 11, 2023 2:21 pm  #71

Not sure I agree with the statement about Jerry having talent and this bothers some on here.  I am not sure what talent we are talking about.  Agar naturally has abilities and techniques but I wouldn't say these are really exceptional or much above average. He plays the conservative opinionated host that the station wants and is looking for, and does this reasonably well. 

March 11, 2023 4:15 pm  #72

While Agar is a little more interesting than The Resh, neither last more than 20 minutes on my dial.  Alex Pierson gets the rest of the morning until noon, and even Cutrara is preferable to Nair until Oakley comes on.  Luckily, the best talk show of the day is available from noon to 2 on 1010 with Vassy.  It's an oasis of newsy intelligence.

March 11, 2023 5:27 pm  #73

Maybo wrote:

I suspect the tolerance level for both Agar and Nair depends largely on political preferences.

And the difference between the definitions of "assertive" and "insistence" depending on the gender of the host.

March 11, 2023 6:03 pm  #74

Glad to hear Reshmi has found the way to put a smile in her on-air voice. Would be willing to bet that RT will be working on helping her tweak and morph the aggressive treatment of guests into being assertive without walking over them. All it should take is playing back a couple of clips.

As a wise man has been known to say, you can disagree without being disagreeable, and rudeness and bad manners on-air have nothing to do with being male or female or political views.

March 11, 2023 7:33 pm  #75

Just ask Mark Warner.