sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2023 12:40 pm  #1

The One Thing That Will Never Happen Again At Any Oscars Telecast

And no, it's not another slap in the face for Chris Rock.

I long ago lost interest in the Academy Awards, but the one thing you CAN count on is that the show will run long, even as the producers desperately try to speed things up by playing a longwinded winner giving an endless "thank you" speech off stage with increasingly swelling music. I can't remember the last time one of these things ended on time. It just never happens. 

Well, almost never.

In fact, hard as it seems to believe, there was one Oscars show that actually ran so short, they had to figure out how to vamp to fill the time. This almost unbelievable event happened in 1959, still the early days of televised awards show. And the guy who produced and directed that history-making live special recalled the event in a 1977 article in TV Guide.

It's called "The Longest 17 Minutes In Show Biz" and it tells the story of how it happened - and what they were forced to do to fill the unexpected extra time. 

March 9, 2023 2:58 pm  #2

Re: The One Thing That Will Never Happen Again At Any Oscars Telecast

Fascinating insight into the Academy Awards process....even several decades later.  Thanks RA.

March 9, 2023 3:14 pm  #3

Huh. I thought the one thing that will never happen again on the Oscars was Lettermen.

March 10, 2023 8:33 am  #4

Here's something that definitely WILL happen - a winner will go on and on forever and will try to talk through and over the "play off" music designed to get them off the stage as quickly as possible. In this sometimes hilarious and eye-opening article, a music critic takes aims at these irregular interludes and wonders if they really work. 

“Sir, you’re doing a great job,” [Julia] Roberts told conductor Bill Conti from the stage at the 73rd Academy Awards in 2001 after her best actress win for “Erin Brockovich.” “But you’re so quick with that stick! So why don’t you sit? Because I may never be here again.”

From there, she launched into three solid minutes of gasping flabbergasted appreciation, a speech that, over time, grew self-aware: “I love it up here!” she yelped as Conti glared expectantly from the pit."

The fine art of playing people off at award shows

March 10, 2023 12:53 pm  #5

Well tat's a slap in the face.