sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2023 12:19 am  #1

CTV News Channel New Graphics and New Music

Looks like CTV News updated their graphics and music for the 24 news channel. What do you guys think?

The fonts look different on the new graphics. They look like the ones you see on the web sites and local newscasts.

March 7, 2023 12:58 am  #2

Re: CTV News Channel New Graphics and New Music

What time did it change?  I was watching at 7 and didn't notice anything.
I prefer all caps on tickers, I don't know why.

March 7, 2023 11:13 am  #3

I like it, sharper graphics and  better music opening.  Also the graphics at the bottom of the screen are an improvement in my opinion.  I never liked news crawls and prefer the bullet format that both CBC and CTV news networks now have.  Don't like the map of the world in the opening bumper that is made out of dots.  Just me but I never like maps that are all dots.  

CBC News Network also modified their graphics, promos and music a few months back.  I like the way that CBC's graphics at the bottom match the story they are covering, give a brief headline.  CBC's music for news should be more authoritative.

I don't know if The National on CBC is improving in the ratings but I like their opening and set, and again slightly altered graphics and music.  Adrienne is good but Ian is better.  CTV National News is due for a freshen up, both music and set.    

March 7, 2023 11:25 am  #4

Don't watch... Don't care....

March 7, 2023 11:37 am  #5

Glen Warren wrote:

Don't watch... Don't care....

So why post in this thread?

It's a nice visual change. The layout is nicely organized. Flat graphics are all the rage in TV right now. The opener remind me of TVA's news opens (connected dots swirling around the screen). New graphics for the rest of CTV News must definitely be in the pipeline.

paterson1 wrote:

CBC News Network also modified their graphics, promos and music a few months back.

Their on-screen graphics are getting out of hand. Sometimes they have text on the bottom and on the side while cramming a bunch of talking heads into what's left of the screen. 

Last edited by ED1 (March 7, 2023 11:37 am)

March 7, 2023 6:56 pm  #6

Vassy Kapelos CTV News Channel Power Play also has new music and different introduction.  They updated the set about a month ago. I have noticed Power Play is kind of sloppy though, too many gaps and at times Vassy seems hesitant and not knowing when she is up.  Vassy is great at interviews and her power panel guests and panels good but the show needs better pacing. Her CBC News Network show was a tighter production.  She is great on radio in my opinion, and her personality/humour comes through. 

March 7, 2023 9:19 pm  #7

Tomas Barlow wrote:

What time did it change?  I was watching at 7 and didn't notice anything.
I prefer all caps on tickers, I don't know why.

They changed it yesterday but I don't know what time though.

March 7, 2023 10:17 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Vassy Kapelos CTV News Channel Power Play also has new music and different introduction.  They updated the set about a month ago. I have noticed Power Play is kind of sloppy though, too many gaps and at times Vassy seems hesitant and not knowing when she is up.  Vassy is great at interviews and her power panel guests and panels good but the show needs better pacing. Her CBC News Network show was a tighter production.  She is great on radio in my opinion, and her personality/humour comes through. 

I have actually found the production on the radio show to be a bit sloppy at times.  Sometimes intros and clips don't fire and sometimes callers aren't potted up but she has been excellent.  She plays devil's advocate against all parties and calls BS when people won't answer the question, but still manages to be friendly and have a good rapport with her guests.  She seems to feel like she owes it to her listeners to get answers.  Too many radio talk show hosts make you feel like they're doing you a favor by being there.