sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2023 8:20 am  #1

Rogers Tests AI Program That Could Replace On Air Talent. Hear It Here

It's called "RadioGPT," an artificial intelligence program that's capable of generating everything from copy for websites and doing show prep research - to actually replacing on-air talent, although there are no indications that Rogers plans to use it that way. 

From Broadcast Dialogue:

"[It] scans Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and more than 250,000 other sources for news and information, identifying which topics are trending in a local market. RadioGPT leverages TopicPulse to create a script for on-air use. AI voices then turning that script into audio. The tech can be modified to include multiple AI voices co-hosting the same show or be trained using the voices of existing personalities."

That last part about it being able to mimic existing personalities is the most problematic part to me. It's sort of like voice tracking taken to the extreme. 

Rogers Sports & Media beta testing new ‘RadioGPT’ AI voice tech

The company that makes the software has set up a fake radio station based in the fictional town of "Springfield" (do the Simpsons know?) that you can listen to online. Every voice being used on the fake test is artificially originated. And it's pretty scary how real it sounds. If you didn't know, you could never tell. You can listen to it here. 

February 24, 2023 10:34 am  #2

Re: Rogers Tests AI Program That Could Replace On Air Talent. Hear It Here

It sorta sounds like the late great Alice @ 92.9, which used to air in Buffalo NY, back in the late 90's.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 24, 2023 1:31 pm  #3

This whole thing makes me think of science fiction movies of the past when robotic like humans listened to robotic commands from their radios and tvs. We're half way there and it's freakin' sad.

February 24, 2023 1:36 pm  #4

Rogers isn't saying what they're thinking of doing with this technology, but with the company's often penurious track record, you do tend to fear the worst.

You have to wonder if Mr. Roboto will be doing weekends on CHFI in the future.

February 24, 2023 1:48 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

It's called "RadioGPT," an artificial intelligence program that's capable of generating everything from copy for websites and doing show prep research - to actually replacing on-air talent, although there are no indications that Rogers plans to use it that way. 

From Broadcast Dialogue:

"[It] scans Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and more than 250,000 other sources for news and information, identifying which topics are trending in a local market. RadioGPT leverages TopicPulse to create a script for on-air use. AI voices then turning that script into audio. The tech can be modified to include multiple AI voices co-hosting the same show or be trained using the voices of existing personalities."

That last part about it being able to mimic existing personalities is the most problematic part to me. It's sort of like voice tracking taken to the extreme. 

Rogers Sports & Media beta testing new ‘RadioGPT’ AI voice tech

The company that makes the software has set up a fake radio station based in the fictional town of "Springfield" (do the Simpsons know?) that you can listen to online. Every voice being used on the fake test is artificially originated. And it's pretty scary how real it sounds. If you didn't know, you could never tell. You can listen to it here. 

File under "The Simpsons Predicted It"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnGaf0p9x1U

February 24, 2023 10:20 pm  #6

ED1 wrote:

File under "The Simpsons Predicted It"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnGaf0p9x1U

Sounds like Garry Goodrow, the guy that played Bob Burnat ("Bobby Boogie") in the WKRP in Cincinnati episode, "Hold Up".

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

February 25, 2023 12:54 pm  #7

If I worked for Bell Media, Harvard, Virgin, or iHeart Radio I would be very afraid. I was there when computers and then VT came in and told countless people they would be replace by this new technology. It will first start in the smaller markets in the weaker dayparts. Imagine having a great voice returning in the overnight hours spewing local content. I can see the evil glean in the "bean counters" eyes but the "local content" can now be sold to both the CRTC and advertisers UNLESS the CRTC somehow legislates that a certain percentage of "on-air" broacasting MUST be HUMAN. Wouldn't this bring up an interesting human rights dilemma. hmmm
Just some of the things for members of the big yellow board to ponder. Oh BTW, I've been listening to the demo for over an hour and it sounds quite good, better then most human stations. As stated, you should be worried, Nano Nano

Last edited by radiodazewarrior (February 25, 2023 12:56 pm)

February 25, 2023 12:59 pm  #8

radiodazewarrior wrote:

If I worked for Bell Media, Harvard, Virgin, or iHeart Radio I would be very afraid. I was there when computers and then VT came in and told countless people they would be replace by this new technology. It will first start in the smaller markets in the weaker dayparts. Imagine having a great voice returning in the overnight hours spewing local content. I can see the evil glean in the "bean counters" eyes but the "local content" can now be sold to both the CRTC and advertisers UNLESS the CRTC somehow legislates that a certain percentage of "on-air" broacasting MUST be HUMAN. Wouldn't this bring up an interesting human rights dilemma. hmmm
Just some of the things for members of the big yellow board to ponder. Oh BTW, I've been listening to the demo for over an hour and it sounds quite good, better then most human stations. As stated, you should be worried, Nano Nano

"The AI generator must be physically located in the market it is serving" or some silly rule like that 

February 26, 2023 2:42 am  #10

Maybe it can do Blue Jays road games.

February 27, 2023 10:14 am  #11

Corus veteran Alan Cross weighs in on AI DJs - and he fears for the future of both radio and the people who make it, especially from big corporations looking to hold on to every single penny - especially when it comes to eliminating those pesky and annoying salaries. 

“If 'Denise' took over the role of a human on the air, a program worth roughly $200 buys a lifetime jock for that radio station. She does not require an annual salary, she never gets sick, does not need sleep, food, or has the need for restroom breaks. She can literally be on the air 24/7! Would a human work an entire year straight, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for only $200? Clearly, the answer is no.

"Would a human work five years straight, 24 hours a day seven days a week for a one-time fee of only $200? It is easy to say absolutely not. Depending on the market and how much stations pay their on-air talent, the money saved over the years easily adds up by not having to pay humans an annual salary.”

The robots are coming to take over the airwaves. Next target: the trusted radio announcer

February 27, 2023 10:58 am  #12

This will 100% happen everywhere...the same thing will happen with movie actors in 50 years...the technology will be there that will make using real humans unnecessary...look at CGI tech now with the Marvel Universe films for example...imagine what that will be like even 10 years from now...

February 27, 2023 12:54 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

“If 'Denise' took over the role of a human on the air, a program worth roughly $200 buys a lifetime jock for that radio station. She does not require an annual salary, she never gets sick, does not need sleep, food, or has the need for restroom breaks. She can literally be on the air 24/7!”

And she wouldn't try and hit management with a wrongful dismissal suit when they got tired of her. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

February 27, 2023 8:24 pm  #14

Coming up next: artificial listeners. 

February 28, 2023 10:04 am  #15

Instead of testing AI  Rogers should be getting its current house in order. I have been without Internet and TV since early yesterday afternoon . Apparently the outage is quite widespread and was caused by a severed cable ... but I am hearing little about it. Fortunately, I have a backup but I feel sorry for those people working from home who don't and are dealing with a Rogers outage for the second time. They have been on thin ice with me for awhile....this may be the last straw.

March 5, 2023 2:55 pm  #16

Scary as all this sounds for those looking for an on-air gig, the linked video is, if anything, slightly more disturbing. The woman in it isn't real. But she certainly looks and sounds like she is. 

RadioGPT Demo Video

March 5, 2023 3:12 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

Coming up next: artificial listeners. 

Artificial listeners?  They are already here. These are the "listeners" that take part in radio station music surveys and determined what does or doesn't get played...

March 6, 2023 1:03 am  #18

60 Minutes did a remarkable story on the AI phenomenon, including a case where the Bing bot appeared to go rogue and turn evil. It's a charming 13:00 Lesley Stahl story, which you can see here

March 6, 2023 11:10 am  #19

Wow, proof that these guys don't know what they are doing and out of their depth.  Also further proof that the internet needs regulations, and soon.

Loved when Brad Smith president of Microsoft asked Bing chat how to make a bomb.  He was trying to show how the system wouldn't respond to a question like this.

The AI program says sorry that it doesn't know how to discuss this topic.  What they didn't mention in the report is the second line which wasn't highlighted but recommends....You can try to learn more about it on Bing.com. They should have followed through to see if Bing.com had anything on bomb making.

They couldn't even get the information right about Lesley Stahl and the fact that penguins don't pee.  

This isn't even funny but only going to make the lies and intended misinformation on line much worse. 

March 8, 2023 8:59 am  #20

The creators of the RadioGPT software insist they're not trying to put anyone out of a job. Instead, they hope their technology will be an adjunct to radio and predict it won't replace human beings behind the mics but could help fill some otherwise empty overnight or weekend shifts that are otherwise voice tracked or automated now.

"We have heard from personalities that are concerned that somehow there’s a mission here to replace them. But that is the furthest thing from our mindset. Local is the key to attracting audiences, and you can bet every streaming service is going to innovate in this way. We’re talking to every major service about ways to use our system. Why shouldn’t radio do the same thing? Radio shouldn’t have unmanned air shifts without live and local content."

Replacing Humans “Is the Furthest Thing From Our Mindset,” Says the Company Selling an A.I. Radio Host

March 8, 2023 10:48 am  #21

Naturally RadioGPT doesn't intend to put anyone out of work.  Does anyone expect them to say otherwise?  The intent doesn't matter.  What does matter is the end result and what the buyer of the program does with it.  And that result could very well be that eventually many announcers will get replaced.  Broadcasting chains are always looking to save money for areas that they think won't make any difference. 

Talk show hosts, sports hosts and popular announcers that talk a lot and give their opinions will be safe.  It is the swing jocks, fill in people and stations that aren't personality driven that will eventually use an A1 Radio Host.  

Also some smaller stations, especially in the US maybe only have one announcer or are on permanent automation. So if they decide to use AI they aren't really taking away any on air jobs. Those jobs haven't existed for decades.