sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2023 9:39 am  #31

Re: Scott MacArthur MIA

Robsims wrote:

Looks like Scott is no longer listed on the show webpage. It’s just “THE RUSH WITH RESHMI NAIR.”

https://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/shows/the-rush-with-reshmi-nair-1.17518665

Poor guy got the old 'Bell' treatment?  Just gone, as if he never existed.
Maybe they should rename the show to 'The Resh', and be done with it.

January 20, 2023 11:41 am  #32

Interesting. I wonder if she'll continue to have a rotating panel of co-hosts with her, or is going to attempt to do the show solo (mercy on us all...).

January 20, 2023 7:10 pm  #33

Just curious, do you people listen to 1010 at that time to just criticize that particular host ? By the way most posts are written, I must be fortunate that 1010 does not come in well up here in the unfrozen north. If I am listening to radio during the afternoon drive time, I go either Oakley or McCully on Rock 95. 

Last edited by mic'em (January 20, 2023 7:11 pm)

January 20, 2023 8:27 pm  #34

mic'em wrote:

Just curious, do you people listen to 1010 at that time to just criticize that particular host ?

No, just curiosity to see what they've done with that timeslot - if they've added a compelling new segment, revamped things or paired co-hosts that have a certain chemistry together vs. various experiments/rotating guest hosts and the apparent turfing of a co-host they unveiled with much fanfare in April 2022. It's tough to believe that the significant,  all-important drivetime slot on one of Canada's biggest talk radio giants haven't found a certain formula or vision yet. Part train-wreck spectacle listening, and part genuine wish/curiosity that they can fill that slot with something that packs some dynamic punch.

January 20, 2023 10:27 pm  #35

AspectRatio wrote:

mic'em wrote:

Just curious, do you people listen to 1010 at that time to just criticize that particular host ?

No, just curiosity to see what they've done with that timeslot - if they've added a compelling new segment, revamped things or paired co-hosts that have a certain chemistry together vs. various experiments/rotating guest hosts and the apparent turfing of a co-host they unveiled with much fanfare in April 2022. It's tough to believe that the significant,  all-important drivetime slot on one of Canada's biggest talk radio giants haven't found a certain formula or vision yet. Part train-wreck spectacle listening, and part genuine wish/curiosity that they can fill that slot with something that packs some dynamic punch.

The 1010 drive-home show is a disaster.  One of the hosts disappeared with no explanation, and the remaining host is painfully bad,  It is an awful radio show. 

January 20, 2023 11:24 pm  #36

It comes down to three things.

1. Losing face. To admit they got it wrong makes whoever made the decision to give the show to Reshmi and Scott vulnerable in the company and puts this person(s) own future there possibly in doubt. It also makes Newstalk as a brand look less than competent.

2. Money. It's cheaper to just have a rotating roster of temp co-hosts than pay the salary of another permanent co-host.

3. The possibility of future legal action should they mishandle the current on-air situation. I have no inside info, just going by what's happened in previous situations.

Jason Agnew might be a terrific fit for The Rush. Solo or with the same rotating roster of co-hosts.

Reshmi sounds like she's trying her best but The Rush simply is not the right gig for her at this stage in her career.

This could go on forever, but I hope it's doesn't, for everyone's sake.

Last edited by betaylored (January 20, 2023 11:27 pm)

January 21, 2023 12:45 pm  #37

Walter wrote:

The 1010 drive-home show is a disaster.  One of the hosts disappeared with no explanation, and the remaining host is painfully bad,  It is an awful radio show.

I don't disagree. Usually I can't tune in for more than about 15 minutes a day before I've had enough.

Betaylored had a good point with the remark "The Rush simply is not the right gig for her at this stage in her career."  Nair coming from an anchoring background and they needed some place to put her after the failed "Quibi" experiment. As listeners (and her, perhaps) are no doubt finding out, quite a different skillset being asked to opine and interact with callers and guest/experts in short bursts.

March 2, 2023 9:22 pm  #38

The missing-in-action Scott MacArthur's longtime Twitter account, "ScottyMacThinks" - https://twitter.com/ScottyMacThinks - is now totally deleted. Same with his Instagram account bearing the same handle.

Hope he's alright. A positive speculation on my part (pure guess) is that he's totally rebranding and preparing to relaunch his online presence/accounts - or maybe has left broadcasting and going into corporate communications or PR (common career moves for ex-broadcasters) or something.

March 4, 2023 6:05 pm  #39

You know it's rough when the fill-ins sound considerably more comfortable with the format (and medium, quite frankly) than the actual "host."

April 30, 2023 2:40 pm  #40

The long-forgotten Scott MacArthur has shown up on social media.  He moved to the Maritimes.

April 30, 2023 3:01 pm  #41

Walter wrote:

He moved to the Maritimes.

Kinda irresponsible to do it without telling his employer.

April 30, 2023 3:01 pm  #42

His Facebook page, updated for the first time in a year.

Interesting that his Linked-In "experience" page has finally indicated that he's no longer with Bell Media, stating he started there in April 2022 and ended his association this month, April 2023. Although he definitely hasn't appeared on any of their stations since long, long before that. Is it possible they paid him off for a year for some reason?  One day I hope he'll explain what happened. 

By the way, if you look at his pic, it appears he's cut his famous long hair. But if you read the comments, he says he's just tied it back with a head band on. Definitely a different look from the publicity pics he took when he first joined CFRB. 

April 30, 2023 5:02 pm  #43

betaylored wrote:

It comes down to three things.

1. Losing face. To admit they got it wrong makes whoever made the decision to give the show to Reshmi and Scott vulnerable in the company and puts this person(s) own future there possibly in doubt. It also makes Newstalk as a brand look less than competent.

2. Money. It's cheaper to just have a rotating roster of temp co-hosts than pay the salary of another permanent co-host.

3. The possibility of future legal action should they mishandle the current on-air situation. I have no inside info, just going by what's happened in previous situations.

Jason Agnew might be a terrific fit for The Rush. Solo or with the same rotating roster of co-hosts.

Reshmi sounds like she's trying her best but The Rush simply is not the right gig for her at this stage in her career.

This could go on forever, but I hope it's doesn't, for everyone's sake.

Last edited by mike marshall (April 30, 2023 5:19 pm)

April 30, 2023 5:42 pm  #44

Maybe the man had personal issues ?

May 3, 2023 5:23 pm  #45

Toronto Mike may have the answer to all the questions about Scott MacArthur, after he received a personal reply from the missing man himself. His first sentence says it all - he got sick of the biz and simply decided to leave it behind. 

"...the healing truly began on a day last autumn when, in a session with my amazing therapist I said, speaking about my 20-plus year corporate broadcasting career, “I’m done. I’m m*th*rf*ck*ng done."

You can read the rest on his site. 

May 8, 2023 1:20 pm  #46

He has reactivated his Twitter and Instagram accounts and has a new post and updated location/photo on his Twitter account ( https://twitter.com/ScottyMacThinks ).

May 13, 2023 10:21 am  #47

Scott MacArthur and former Blue Jays PR and ex-Star columnist Richard Griffin have launched a new podcast, "Exit Philosophy". It will be baseball-centered but Scott begins the first episode by talking about his decision to stop doing talk radio and move out east. 

https://twitter.com/ScottyMacThinks/status/1656260294086123520