sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2023 8:25 pm  #1

Layoffs Hit Corus' Global News

It comes as the broadcaster runs into some hard times - and has decided to spread the misery to its workers. 

So far, most markets - with the exception of one - won't immediately notice the difference. But there's no word if this is the end of the job cuts.

From Broadcast Dialogue:

Unifor, the union representing over 800 media members at Corus, says online journalists and online video journalists at Global News are among those impacted, in addition to the sports department at Global Edmonton which it described as “decimated.”

Corus confirms layoffs as part of ‘enterprise-wide cost review’

March 2, 2023 9:06 pm  #2

Re: Layoffs Hit Corus' Global News

Global has a sports department? 

March 2, 2023 9:08 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

Nope!

March 2, 2023 9:54 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Nope!

Long before Rogers bought The Score and converted it to Sportsnet 360, I recall Global sports coming from there.
It's too bad Corus does not have a Canada wide source they can use for Sports coverage.

CityNews has Sportsnet and Bell really should be using TSN...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 2, 2023 10:43 pm  #5

BC, Edmonton, and Calgary kept their sports departments when everyone else in the network either lost theirs or were outsourced. No clue about what’s happening in BC, but chances are if it happened to Global Edmonton, then Global Calgary also lost their sports dept.

March 2, 2023 10:54 pm  #6

An article in the Daily Hive points out the usual odious way this was done and the suspected reasons for it. 

"Corus was also set to start an annual salary review process on March 1, which was deferred to the spring from November 2022. It’s not clear if the layoffs were related to planned pay increases."

Yep, there's nothing like a good salary dump to help the company's bottom line. I can't tell you how many places I've witnessed this kind of thing. I know one guy who was given a pretty big raise because they said he was doing such a good job and they wanted him to know it. About two months later, he was turfed with about 10 others. The reason? He was making too much money!

Beware if you earn a living wage in broadcasting these days. Too often it opens the door for them to kick you through it and onto the street!