sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2023 5:43 pm  #1

KISS radio Kingston is stunting

According to radio insight Kiss in Kingston is stunting as a new station called 102.7 The Pole. Basically strip club music.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/249253/wlyk-hits-a-pole/

February 28, 2023 7:05 pm  #2

Re: KISS radio Kingston is stunting

The press release is amusing.

"Our company owns radio, cable, internet, tv stations, cell phone towers, and a taco truck franchise in Regina. I’ve been given the responsibility of running 102.7 FM. Frankly, it shouldn’t be too tough. I was previously in charge of cable installations for our company before taking over the radio division, so this should be a breeze. In order to make a radio station successful, we have to deliver a format that is missing from Kingston, and has a high demand. After one of the largest, most expensive music research studies in Ontario history we have the format. Thank you to the thousands of people who participated in our online studies and in person interviews. We asked you what is missing in Kingston, and you told us! We asked what songs you wanted, and you told us. We asked what artists you want to hear, and you told us. When I reviewed the data of what you had to say, I did what any radio executive at any major Canadian radio company executive in 2023 would do. I set it aside, and created something I think you will like better.    

What’s missing in Kingston? I asked myself – what music gets your blood going? Pumps you up! Literally makes you want to throw your money and make it rain? Your answers were good. Mine were better. I’m so confident that you will like my custom-made format that I’m putting my team’s job on the line. If this doesn’t work, or the city closes us down, our corporation will eliminate their jobs, and move me to another division. So, for the sake of our team, please tell your friends and listen! For the first time on the planet, I’m pleased to introduce you to a music format I have heavily researched myself. I put in the time hours and hours. Dollar after dollar. I have witnessed the joy this music brings. It’s not about rock. It’s not about rap, country or Oldies... it’s about... the performance...the stage....    

Kingston, I I introduce you to music curated from the best Gentleman’s Clubs from Montreal to Toronto...This is the ALL-NEW 102.7 THE POLE – Keep your ears peeled!    

Ben Reid, 102.7 POLE-FM   General Manager  
Listen or contact us: https://www.1027thepole.com

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 28, 2023 7:07 pm)

February 28, 2023 7:53 pm  #3

The station breaks and imaging are funny as well.  Take a look at some of the DJ's...
https://www.1027thepole.com/copy-of-contest

February 28, 2023 7:53 pm  #4

More stunted than anything.

February 28, 2023 8:07 pm  #5

Interesting that former CJAD/CFRB host and MyFM honcho Jon Pole will be one of the new owners once the FCC approves the takeover deal. Hence, the "Pole" name.

Meanwhile, their old site is still up, but redirects former listeners elsewhere.

I guess you could call it a Kiss goodbye.

February 28, 2023 8:13 pm  #6

The FCC?

February 28, 2023 8:16 pm  #7

The Weed wrote:

The FCC?

What about them?

February 28, 2023 8:19 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

The Weed wrote:

The FCC?

What about them?

See RA's #5 above.

February 28, 2023 8:20 pm  #9

It's an American signal. WLYK Cape Vincent.

February 28, 2023 8:21 pm  #10

Understanding fully that this is stunting, I still don't know enough about Kingston Ontario to know if there are any strip joints there...being a radio business...why not have a strip joint in Kingston Ontario run an ad or two while they're at it? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 28, 2023 8:22 pm  #11

There is a strip club in Kingston, and it is located at the address listed on this "staton's" website. Nice touch.

February 28, 2023 10:13 pm  #12

Interesting comment to a Broadcast Dialogue writer from Rob Mise, the guy behind the "new" format. 

"Mise stresses that they don’t have a timeline to introduce a more permanent format, which right now is being anchored by a range of radio talent under the guise of stripper names like morning show duo “Desstiny and Chestiny.”

Not sure if that's true, but if it is, they could be in the "pole" position for some time to come. 

Stunt format 102.7 The Pole ushers in new ownership of Border Broadcasting

February 28, 2023 10:18 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Not sure if that's true, but if it is, they could be in the "pole" position for some time to come. 

The station is broadcasting on low-power due to damage from an earlier winter storm. The stunt will go at least until that's repaired.

February 28, 2023 10:46 pm  #14

I listened for about 90 minutes.   I loved the tunes.  I kept waiting for the next piece of imaging.   I laughed out loud a few times.  No question it's a little cheesy, but it's super fun.

I always enjoyed Jon Pole on Newstalk 1010, his myFM group seems to always be doing fun things and growing... now a station with music from strip clubs LOL.

Maybe one of the big guys should consider offering him a job - he must have some serious passion for radio!

February 28, 2023 11:58 pm  #15

And because it's a US-licensed radio station, they needed a US-based engineer to help them install equipment on this side of the border. 

(Hi, it's me, the US-based engineer!)

March 1, 2023 12:11 am  #16

fybush wrote:

And because it's a US-licensed radio station, they needed a US-based engineer to help them install equipment on this side of the border. 

Small world. Any clue as to what they have planned once the strip club closes? Or is that a trade secret?

March 1, 2023 7:26 am  #17

RadioActive wrote:

Any clue as to what they have planned once the strip club closes? Or is that a trade secret?

Strictly a guess: MY FM Kingston, maybe?

March 1, 2023 8:10 am  #18

88.7 myFM already serves Kingston, and I think 99.9 myFM from Gananoque is pretty strong there too.

Also strictly a guess... maybe a Freq 102.7 similar to Peterborough?

March 1, 2023 10:16 am  #19

RadioQuiz wrote:

88.7 myFM already serves Kingston, and I think 99.9 myFM from Gananoque is pretty strong there too.

Also strictly a guess... maybe a Freq 102.7 similar to Peterborough?

I think that would be a good guess, doesn't look like there is an alternative music station in the area.  Kingston is not a big market (well under 200,000 in the CMA) but has a ton of radio stations available.  ..https://worldradiomap.com/ca/kingston

March 1, 2023 10:45 am  #20

Alt was already tried, and while it certainly likely had a good sized audience, the market isn't big enough to capture it for ratings.

March 1, 2023 11:34 am  #21

RadioAaron wrote:

Alt was already tried, and while it certainly likely had a good sized audience, the market isn't big enough to capture it for ratings.

It still might show a good return on the investment for a little guy company. 

March 1, 2023 11:40 am  #22

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

It still might show a good return on the investment for a little guy company. 

Yes, if they can make money independent of ratings, which is what most of their stations do.

March 1, 2023 12:05 pm  #23

Any possibility of "Oldies 102.7"?

March 1, 2023 12:11 pm  #24

RadioActive wrote:

fybush wrote:

Small world. Any clue as to what they have planned once the strip club closes? Or is that a trade secret?

Honestly, no clue whatsoever. In this case, I'm just the guy connecting the boxes and wires together and making sure they stay FCC-legal. 

March 1, 2023 12:17 pm  #25

Forward Power wrote:

Would make sense. That would be the format most helped by the fact the don't have to play Cancon, IMO.

March 1, 2023 1:13 pm  #26

RadioAaron wrote:

Forward Power wrote:

Would make sense. That would be the format most helped by the fact the don't have to play Cancon, IMO.

Very true, but is the age demo there to support it?  

March 1, 2023 1:17 pm  #27

Classic hits / Oldies does very well 25-54.

March 1, 2023 1:18 pm  #28

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Forward Power wrote:

Very true, but is the age demo there to support it?  

It'd primarily be 80s music, so yeah.

March 2, 2023 12:27 pm  #29

Sounds like their transmitter just died a few moments ago.  Hearing first-adjacent interference from another station, even on the online stream.

Perhaps their "exciter" pushed "a load" that was "too hot" for the "transmitter" to handle.

Last edited by PwrSurge (March 2, 2023 12:30 pm)

March 2, 2023 12:38 pm  #30

PwrSurge wrote:

Sounds like their transmitter just died a few moments ago.  Hearing first-adjacent interference from another station, even on the online stream.

Perhaps their "exciter" pushed "a load" that was "too hot" for the "transmitter" to handle.

It's WATN 1240 Watertown. 

WLYK's transmitter is on, with the audio feed being taken over by the AM signal whose tower site is also a Watertown studio site.

Or something close to that. Scott Fybush can correct, but I suspect he's busy,

Last edited by RadioAaron (March 2, 2023 12:39 pm)