sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2023 2:42 pm  #1

Does McDonald's pay better than your radio station?

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 27, 2023 4:26 pm  #2

Re: Does McDonald's pay better than your radio station?

Great article Paul, thanks for posting. 

It is sad but radio has always paid poorly.  The exception would be major markets and some morning positions and often sales.  However even in major markets many afternoon or swing personalities are only making very average wages. 

Over the years, working at various companies that had both a radio and television station, many radio people wanted to work for the TV operation simply because the pay was always better.

Listening to younger people on air at various stations, some are quite talented, bright and put an honest effort into what they are doing.  Sadly these are the ones that may get discouraged in a year or two and move into sales if they want to remain in the business.  Many don't find being on air challenging enough, and others that eventually shift into management often move on.  Many will change careers and likely start off making more than double than what they were earning from their former radio job. 

I have seen many talented people that grew tired of radio's (and newspapers) dated management style and lack of professionalism and move on to something else.  Very few miss the business and all have said it was the best move they ever made. The biggest plus...all seem much happier.  

February 27, 2023 9:33 pm  #3

Don't know if radio stations still do this, but every year for McHappy Day if you were on-air talent you'd be assigned to show up at a local McDonald's and work behind the counter, meeting listeners while learning how to fry those french fries, make a sundae etc. My favorite assignment was getting to use the caulking gun filled with the special sauce and applying it on the burgers for the Big Macs.

It was always lots of fun supporting a good cause, but not the easiest gig.

February 27, 2023 9:50 pm  #4

I don't think they do this anymore. Management was afraid the radio employees would find out the kitchen staff made more than they do...

February 27, 2023 10:05 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I don't think they do this anymore. Management was afraid the radio employees would find out the kitchen staff made more than they do...

Funny. And true, probably.
Great article that should be required reading for first year students at Fanshawe and every other place that teaches the art and business of radio. A bit like the start of the movie "The Paper Chase" but for radio instead of the law.
I made a starting salary of 13k working my first long term radio job doing midnights.
It wouldn't be so bad if you could do freelance voice work at the same time, not necessarily spots but narration etc., though when I was on-air talent that wasn't permitted.

February 27, 2023 10:13 pm  #6

Unfortunately, I think the future of freelance and voice over work may be fleeting, as revealed here.

February 28, 2023 7:04 pm  #7

My radio career ended in 1986 when CKMW was sold ,followed by CFNY who shared studio space in Brampton. I got an AZ drivers  license and have never been unemployed since , and made as much as in a day as I did per week in radio. No regrets, I love the industry, but much happier to be on the speaker end of it now. 

February 28, 2023 8:23 pm  #8

Back in the early 60s when I was in high school, our local station, CFOS in Owen Sound was advertising for someone to work as an assistant in their Engineering Dept. I hated school and was considering dropping out for that until I had my job interview. The job paid $20/wk for a six day week. Even by 1960s standard that was bad.

The job also involved an unpaid Sunday shift, doing a remote from one of the churches in town. The guy told me that although there was no pay for it, I would get the benefit of the sermon.

I stayed on and finished my schooling.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

March 1, 2023 7:17 pm  #9

turkeytop, that is a great story .    My first radio job at 18 was at CJRW in Summerside, PEI ,a 250 watt blowtorch ,I made a dollar an hour and did 6 pm to midnight. I had to empty the garbage, shut off everything, and change the log tape, the huge reel to reel, all for free as it fell after midnight lol. But, I loved it. I remember one snowy night, after repeating all evening that the town public works department workers would be clearing snow banks and cars parked on the main street would be towed, I came out around 12.20 to find my car had been towed. It cost me three weeks pay to get it back. At least the tow yard let me pay in installments. 

Last edited by mic'em (March 1, 2023 7:23 pm)

March 1, 2023 7:50 pm  #10

As I mentioned a few years ago, I asked a G.M. at a major market radio station how much they paid someone to start as an Operator.
The answer....minimum wage and all the records you can eat!!!

March 1, 2023 7:51 pm  #11

Me: "My fiance's father has died."
Radio Guy: "Oh. That's awful. You're still coming in on Saturday, aren't you?"
Me: ...

March 1, 2023 10:26 pm  #12

Canada's Wonderland is hiring 4,000 people for the upcoming season.  As a perk, wonder if they are offering all the rollercoaster rides you can handle...

March 1, 2023 10:34 pm  #13

Chrisphen wrote:

Me: "My fiance's father has died."
Radio Guy: "Oh. That's awful. You're still coming in on Saturday, aren't you?"
Me: ...

The linked post below goes back to 2015, but it sort of reminds me of the anecdote above. And it's all true, because the guy involved told it to me personally several years ago. 

The Greatest Radio Quitting Story Of All Time