sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2023 6:35 pm  #1

The Canadian Novelty Record You May Have Missed

I was going through some files for the month of March when I found the ad below from 1971. I certainly knew the infamous phrase, "Fuddle Duddle," uttered by then Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau in the House of Commons, supposedly instead of using the f-bomb. (Which, of course, he actually did.) It became a huge controversy for a few weeks that year. 

In fact, it was such a big sensation, it was almost inevitable someone would come up with a stupid song about it. And someone did. I don't know very much about "The Antique Fair," but it was probably a one-off manufactured group put together for one single, never to be heard from again.

I have zero memory of this thing and I have no idea if any Toronto stations ever played it. But sure enough, I found it in the one place that never forgets anything - YouTube. And it's so bad, it makes me glad I never heard it on the radio here. Another bit of Canadian music obscurity recovered from the ash heap of history. Which is likely where it belonged!

Listen to it if you dare. But don't say you weren't warned!  Or you can go Fuddle your Duddle!

March 1, 2023 9:02 pm  #2

Re: The Canadian Novelty Record You May Have Missed

According to Discogs, it was written and produced by Greg Hambleton, who would go on to form the Axe Records label, which was home to a few Canadian acts such as Gary & Dave, Rain, Major Hoople's Boarding House and Steel River, among others.

Apparently they (or he, as the "group" may have just been Hambleton himself) had recorded at least two other songs, as there's also a single available called "Your Eyes" b/w "You Try". Interestingly, "Fuddle Duddle" is on both sides of its 45 release, which is unusual for a commercial single. It doesn't say anything about it being stereo on one side or mono on the other (which was quite common for promo singles back then), nor does it appear the B-side is an instrumental. Maybe they (he) figured the song was so good you'd end up wearing out the one side and would need a second copy! 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

March 1, 2023 9:52 pm  #3

Re: The Canadian Novelty Record You May Have Missed

This one you may remember.  It was played on the radio for a few weeks as a novelty song.
The group was The House of Commons.  And the song?  Do the Fuddle Duddle.  The flip side was called the Funky Fuddle Duddle but I don't recall it on the radio.  https://www.yout-ube.com/watch?v=ihhhUEvtJWY