sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2023 4:00 pm  #1

TVO Workers Vote 100% In Favour Of Strike Action

The journalists and producers who belong to the Canadian Media Guild aren't walking off the job at the network just yet. But they're upset they fall under the government's controversial Bill 124, which, despite being ruled unconstitutional by a court, froze wages for three years and has been a bone of contention with other unions - most notably the nurses - for some time. 

“New employees are hired on contract and have been blocked from being converted to staff even after working at TVO for several years (with no shortage of work to do),” CMG stated in a press release issued Tuesday. “For instance, TVO hired dozens of people during the pandemic to bring Ontario’s curriculum online. Most of those workers were unceremoniously let go after about a year. Some were then rehired after a break in employment and now TVO is asking the union to sign a waiver to let the employer keep these workers permanently on contract.”

The vote gives members more negotiating power if a settlement can't be reached. It's unclear exactly how a walkout might affect programming, although I believe shows like Steve Paikin's The Agenda would likely be disrupted.

Unionized journalists and producers at TVO vote 100% in support of strike mandate

February 28, 2023 4:01 pm  #2

Re: TVO Workers Vote 100% In Favour Of Strike Action

and if they go on strike and nobody notices..then what?

February 28, 2023 8:28 pm  #3

Re: TVO Workers Vote 100% In Favour Of Strike Action

As a life-long Union worker, I support them completely.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.