sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2023 6:44 pm  #1

Frequent Oakley Guest Admits He's Thinking Of Running For T.O. Mayor

Anthony Furey, who writes for the website True North, and used to toil for Toronto Sun, and is a frequent panelist on John Oakley's show on AM640, admitted on-air Tuesday that he was seriously thinking of launching a campaign for mayor.

He's not as high profile as some of the current councillors who are also expected to make the run, but he has some name recognition from his newspaper and radio work. 

My guess is his chances of winning are slim, and he claims he still hasn't completely made up his mind. In my experience, that kind of statement tends to mean he's definitely going to run. But if he does make it official, it means he will disappear from the airwaves as a guest commentator for the length of the campaign.

And if by some rare chance he did win, it would mean two successive Toronto mayors with a media background. Which I don't think has ever happened before.

February 28, 2023 6:51 pm  #2

Re: Frequent Oakley Guest Admits He's Thinking Of Running For T.O. Mayor

Was he on after Brian Lilley ? It was Lilley who broke the news with Oakley, I didn't have a radio close by after 4.30 pm. 

February 28, 2023 6:53 pm  #3

Yes, Lilley hinted at it, but I didn't take it seriously until I heard it from Furey himself. He appeared on the Topics Worthy Of Discussion segment of the show. 

March 21, 2023 7:47 pm  #4

he's running and has no chance. 

March 21, 2023 9:39 pm  #5

cash wrote:

he's running and has no chance. 

Most likely true, but also too many people running.
It will be interesting to see who backs out with effort to back someone else running. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 21, 2023 10:01 pm  #6

Ed the Sock for mayor!