sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2023 11:52 pm  #1

Monday Morning News

In less than two hours it will be Monday.

When you turn on your radio Monday morning, no matter to  which station, the news will include an accounting of how much money the various Hollywood movies grossed over the weekend. How is that news? Unless one has a stake in the movie industry, why would anyone care?

They don't report which brand of beer was the biggest seller over the weekend. They don't tell us which auto maker sold the most vehicles over the weekend or which church had the highest attendance.

What is it about the box office numbers that makes it newsworthy?

Last edited by turkeytop (February 26, 2023 11:53 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 27, 2023 12:47 am  #2

Re: Monday Morning News

I think there are several differences.

For one thing, a single brand of beer is not likely to gross $2 million over a single weekend. (Well, maybe Super Bowl weekend, but you get the idea!)

For another, hearing the box office total for a movie you might want to go see provides some validation - if it made that much money, it might be worth going to a theatre to see it. If so many others liked it, goes the logic, I probably will, too. 

It's also a business story, with a very quick return on investment that may predict whether it was a good place for producers and backers to put up all that money. 

And finally, unlike beer, it involves showbiz - which by its very nature is flashy and attention getting and involves well known stars. For better or worse, that interests people. And if it interests people, it's newsworthy.

February 27, 2023 1:20 am  #3

So, are there people who wait for that important news every Monday morning? Maybe lose some sleep Sunday night wondering about it?

February 27, 2023 1:27 am  #4

No, I wouldn't say that. You may be over-thinking the importance of a box office list.

It's what they call a kicker type story - something light or interesting to end a newscast that people are curious about, but wouldn't even notice if it weren't reported at all. Many newscasts employ a kicker to blunt what always seems to be an endless litany of bad news and it's a positive way to end a newscast, usually right before a few sports scores or weather. 

Unless you have an investment in a movie studio or theatre, it's pretty much fluff. But for most people, interesting fluff. 

February 27, 2023 2:01 am  #5

If it's just a matter of dollars, probably the Oil Companies outgross the movies. Knowing who sold the most gasoline over the weekend might influence my decision as to what gas station to go to this week.

February 27, 2023 7:57 am  #6

Not sure why this is such an issue for you, but there's a vast difference between the oil industry and the entertainment business. People are interested in the latter, and it will always be reported on when a movie like the latest "Avatar" sequel opens big. I suppose the answer for someone who doesn't like the reporting on this is simply to change the station. 

February 27, 2023 10:25 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Not sure why this is such an issue for you, but there's a vast difference between the oil industry and the entertainment business. People are interested in the latter, and it will always be reported on when a movie like the latest "Avatar" sequel opens big. I suppose the answer for someone who doesn't like the reporting on this is simply to change the station. 

As I said in my original post, there's no escaping it. Every station seems to believe this is essential news we need to hhear.

February 28, 2023 2:12 am  #8

What an outrage!  It would be like having a list in the New York Times of the top selling books or spending 4 hours every weekend counting down the top 40 songs of the week.  No one cares!

February 28, 2023 10:05 am  #9

Tomas Barlow wrote:

What an outrage!  It would be like having a list in the New York Times of the top selling books or spending 4 hours every weekend counting down the top 40 songs of the week.  No one cares!

Except NYT doesn't try to present the book list as news on the front page. It's in  a special section of the paper devoted to arts and books.

The top 40 songs aren't listed in the news {at least not yet). They are part of a program listened to only people who care about that.

And in neither case do they tell us how much money the book or the song made over the weekend.

February 28, 2023 10:23 am  #10

turkeytop wrote:

Except NYT doesn't try to present the book list as news on the front page. It's in  a special section of the paper devoted to arts and books.

The top 40 songs aren't listed in the news {at least not yet). They are part of a program listened to only people who care about that.

And in neither case do they tell us how much money the book or the song made over the weekend.

Isn't a news kicker also relegated to the end of a news cast, thus making it akin to the back pages of a paper?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 28, 2023 10:43 am  #11

That's almost the textbook definition of a kicker. A funny or interesting non-news story that ends a newscast on a high note, after - in the case of radio - 4 or 5 minutes of bad or controversial stories in a row. So to say it's on the "front page" isn't accurate.

The end of a newscast is like the "Entertainment Section" in a newspaper. Interesting but not important enough to put it higher and completely dispensable if you run out of time.

February 28, 2023 11:01 am  #12

OK everyone, you all win, I see I'm outnumbered here LOL

For the past two months, we've been at our place here in Florida. My chief source of news down here is NPR. And they've started doing it too. Except they don't wait for Monday morning. They  start on Sunday night.

At least with NPR I can show my displeasure by reducing the amount of my contribution this year,

END OF TOPIC

February 28, 2023 11:54 am  #13

Boy did you pick a good time to be in Florida. We got clobbered by our second storm in a week Monday night, with another one coming on Friday. We'll save some snow for you when you get back...