sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2023 5:25 pm  #1

Alan Cross Nears A Major Radio Milestone

The talent behind "The Ongoing History of New Music," is making history himself. Corus notes in a press release that Alan Cross of CFNY will be marking 30 years of doing that show on Feb. 28th. It's a pretty amazing milestone to be hosting a single program in a changeable radio landscape for three decades in a row. It airs locally Sunday nights at 7 PM on both CFNY and Q107.

I'm not entirely sure how he's managed to continue to come up with new topics every week for that long. One thing you can safely say, though, is that some of the "New Music" that started him on this journey 30 years ago can probably no longer be called "New!"

There is one small anomaly in the milestone. According to a Wikipedia entry, Cross apparently left Corus on 2011, and the show stopped. When he returned in 2014, it started up again. So really that "30 years" may be a little less than that, but it you're measuring it from the time it actually debuted, it still sort of fits. 

Congrats to Mr. Cross. He's a pretty amazing talent. 

Radio Legend Alan Cross Celebrates 30 Years Of The Ongoing History Of New Music

February 23, 2023 6:56 pm  #2

Re: Alan Cross Nears A Major Radio Milestone

I just had Alan and technical producer Rob Johnston over to talk about the 30 years of The Ongoing History of New Music. There's a pretty good CFNY documentary update in this, too.

https://www.torontomike.com/2023/02/alan-cross-and-rob-johnston-toronto-miked-podcast-episode-1197/

February 28, 2023 11:08 am  #4

Re: Alan Cross Nears A Major Radio Milestone

Alan Cross looks back on his "Music" milestone, exactly 30 years ago Tuesday (Feb. 28th.) But he also recalls the changes going on at CFNY at the time - and how he was forced into the position as producer/host, at the risk of being fired.

"...[F]or some ungodly reason–maybe because management became aware I had a history degree–the job was assigned to me. I was free to decline, I was told, in which case I would receive a manila envelope containing a separation agreement and a modest severance package. I’d be ushered out the door with well-wishes for my future endeavors.

"Complicating matters was should I accept, I would be severed from full-time employment and hired as an independent contractor for doing the show, I’d also be re-hired as a part-timer responsible for weekend shifts from 6a-12n Saturday and Sunday. This was a far, far cry from my cushy 2-6p Monday-Friday shift which I loved so much."

30 years ago today, the first episode of “The Ongoing History of New Music” aired on the radio