sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2023 9:08 am  #1

Is This CFRB's New Slogan?

I've heard it twice on Friday, both times coming out of newscasts. And it sounds like it could be a new branding slogan for 1010.

It's "More Talk. More Toronto." It's not terribly impressive, but I suppose it gets the message across and will stick in people's heads if they say it often enough. 

February 24, 2023 10:00 am  #2

Re: Is This CFRB's New Slogan?

Too expensive. What about the timeslots where content is Ontario wide? CFRB is not a 24/7 Toronto talk station.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 24, 2023 10:07 am  #3

I just heard it again. This time, it was "More News. More Talk. More Toronto."

It seems to me there is less news on 1010 than ever, especially after Bell fired most of that staff a few years ago.

So it's not exactly accurate. But then it hasn't been "Ontario's Authoritative News Voice" in a long, long time.

February 24, 2023 10:39 am  #4

RB has done these positioners for years. Remember "The Source?" I know they were stealing from Star Wars, but I always found it to be a pretty ridiculous tag line. 

There were others - "News Every 30 Minutes, Bulletins At Once," "Reliable Radio," and probably one of the longest lasting, "The People People Listen To." But that's when they actually HAD the people people listened to.

1983:

1990:

1992:

February 24, 2023 2:15 pm  #5

I don't even bother listening to 1010 for news anymore. I get more and faster news off the internet. I feel bad about that because I actually used to work there when it was a very good news station.

February 24, 2023 3:03 pm  #6

alangee wrote:

I don't even bother listening to 1010 for news anymore. I get more and faster news off the internet. I feel bad about that because I actually used to work there when it was a very good news station.

Sure, but when you worked there, there was no 680 News or CP24. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 24, 2023 11:53 pm  #7

When I worked there, it was “Ontario’s authoritative news voice”.  —- and it was!

Sadly that was in a different century. (LOL)

I remember having a conversation with Gordon Sinclair (when I produced some of his segments) and he insisted he was providing “human interest” - content - but compared to the content today, it was for the most part hard news…as we remember it.

One last recollection if you permit me.  In the 60’s and 70’s RB still had Jocko Thomas - who I believe also worked for the Toronto Star, as its on-staff police reporter.  His sign off, and I can still hear it….Jocko Thomas reporting from Po-leeese Head…..quarters.  There were plenty of scoops.   We had a bell line hard wired to police hq which I think was on Jarvis Street.

Last edited by tvguy (February 24, 2023 11:54 pm)

February 25, 2023 1:39 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

Too expensive. What about the timeslots where content is Ontario wide? CFRB is not a 24/7 Toronto talk station.

The timing is interesting. As they become less Toronto-centric in their reach they're stepping up the local branding. I've noticed for the last while they also I.D. the station as "Newstalk 1010 Toronto".