sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2023 12:17 pm  #1

Low expaktations

I don't know if anybody cares about this but in recent times I've noticed an odd form of pronunciation among young broadcasters, particularly women for some reason.
Some of them are replacing the short "ec" sound in words such as spectacles or executives with a short "ac" pronunciations.  So the latter words would be pronounced spakticles or exakutives.
Today on 1010 the newsreader was talking about the upcoming snowstorm and told listeners to tune to the station to find out what to expakt.
The other annoying anomaly among both men and women is pronouncing "a" as a long "A" no matter what the usage.
I heard the newsreader today talking about A man with A gun went to A house. 
Like I said don't know if anyone else cares, but as a long time broadcaster it bugs the hell out of me.

February 22, 2023 12:28 pm  #2

Re: Low expaktations

The one that drives me crazy (not a long drive) is when they get a well-known street name wrong. And I don't mean just the name of the thoroughfare. I've heard St. Clair referred to as "St. Clair St." instead of "Ave." Or Steeles Ave. reported as "Steeles Rd." 

Maybe it's just that the person working here is originally from out of town and didn't grow up hearing this all the time. Or it could be just a matter of familiarity. But anyone who listens to this and lives here instantly knows it's wrong and it hurts the station's credibility. It's easy to look up and get it right - in the old days, we used a Perly's, but now it's just an Internet search away. 

The problem? You don't know to look it up if you don't know it's wrong. And now with almost empty newsrooms these days, there's no one there to correct them. So it happens again and again and again...

February 22, 2023 12:52 pm  #3

A person who gets A street name wrong needs an aducation.

February 22, 2023 12:58 pm  #4

They need to hire some "Roads" scholars.

February 22, 2023 1:59 pm  #5

newsguy1 wrote:

The other annoying anomaly among both men and women is pronouncing "a" as a long "A" no matter what the usage.
Like I said don't know if anyone else cares, but as a long time broadcaster it bugs the hell out of me.

This bugs me too

And I've heard some of them with this annoying habit use "thee" all the time instead of "the"

I've got a morning man locally who is constantly talking about "THEE Toronto Maple Leafs..." or THEE Toronto Blue Jays. 

It's like he is over enunciating. 

Makes it doubly hard to listen   

February 22, 2023 7:19 pm  #6

unclefester wrote:

newsguy1 wrote:

This bugs me too

And I've heard some of them with this annoying habit use "thee" all the time instead of "the"

I've got a morning man locally who is constantly talking about "THEE Toronto Maple Leafs..." or THEE Toronto Blue Jays. 

It's like he is over enunciating. 

Makes it doubly hard to listen   

definitely hard on tha ears ;)

February 22, 2023 10:34 pm  #7

Don't get me started on people who pronounce "et cetera" as "exetera".  The first person I ever heard this from was my grade 10 English teacher back in the day. 
At the time, I thought it was cute.  But then again, so was she.

Then, there are the street names...

In Kitchener-Waterloo, there is Weber Street.  It is pronounced "wee-ber" and using "webber" immediately casts you as an outsider.  When I was moving back to Wateloo in 2019 after living 25 years in the GTA, I had to use my gps to navigate around the roads that were being ripped apart for the new LRT.  Google maps constantly mispronounced Weber St. despite google maps being programmed in K-W.  Shameful.  It's since been fixed.

Last edited by Peter the K (February 22, 2023 10:35 pm)

February 22, 2023 10:35 pm  #8

Our English Teachers and Profs are spinning !

February 23, 2023 1:39 am  #9

"they won AN a-hundred-and-fifty dollar prize"

February 23, 2023 10:33 am  #10

Thanks newsguy1 for bringing this up again. Been a pet peeve of mine for sometime.
I posted this back in July of 2021 in fact.

Wanted to mention that I am sick and tired of  anchors and reporters saying " aye"...when it should be "a"...as in "aye man was killed today in aye  crash on the 401" . I hear it constantly .  For many , I assume it is just a bad habit  but isn't it up to their managers to point this out?

Last edited by fyshtalk (February 23, 2023 10:33 am)

February 23, 2023 5:42 pm  #11

Given the current month, there's Feb-yoo-airy.
Unfortunately, like many other mispronunciations, it's becoming accepted useage, even at the venerable BBC.