sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2023 4:42 pm  #1

How Many Spots is Too Many Spots?

It's not that I hate commercials - they are, after all, the lifeblood of radio and what keeps the stations I like in business. But the one thing I can't stand is when a station I'm listening to winds up playing too many of them in a row.

I admit I try to switch them off and go elsewhere when they start, although everyone seems to have developed this clock where they air at :15, :30, :45 and again around :57 or so. That's why changing the channel doesn't always work. You just run into some other guy's commercial break at the exact same time. (Which is where I often say thank God for Funny 820, which doesn't always seem to have bought into this annoying quarter hour pause pattern.) 

In fact, the only time I often don't tune out is when I'm walking the dog in the middle of winter and picking another station requires me to take off a glove in the freezing cold and change the channel. So I sort of mentally tune out but live with it. But that's often led to another scenario - a game I call, "They can't possibly air another one, can they?"

The "game" involves listening to a station (CFRB is especially guilty of this) where a break often lasts at least four minutes and I begin to bet with myself that 'they wouldn't dare air another spot, would they?' And of course, in all too many cases, they not only air another one, but two or more. If you're ever walking down the street in Toronto and see a guy with his pooch on a leash, verbally orating, "Another one?" in stunned outrage and irritation, you've probably seen me.

Who in their right mind (besides a freezing guy not wanting to take off his glove) would stay tuned through all that when other stations are simple push buttons or presets away?

All of this came back to mind after I ran across this article in RadioInk.com, which asks the question I often do: "How Many Spots is Too Many Spots?"

The site asked a few PDs about this dilemma, which surrounds paying the bills while not turning off listeners. It's a dilemma many agree treads a very delicate line. 

But before you read it, I'd like to add one they don't address: endlessly irritating spots, designed to make you hate them as they enter your ear canal. Like the ones for that phytoplankton supplement, in which two women end up fighting in a parking lot to see who can get the last box of the useless material. (And by the way, note to the writer of the separate alternate spot: the minute you tell listeners, "It's not snake oil" that's exactly what they believe it is. At least there's truth in that part of the ad!)

How Many Spots is Too Many Spots? 

February 16, 2023 4:52 pm  #2

Re: How Many Spots is Too Many Spots?

So I don't want to come across an an old cranky fart who always says I remember when....but I am so here goes.
I alway thought that back in the 70's and 80's in top 40 format it was a great during a break to have the jock actually read a live spot.  Breaks up the cluster and seemed to make it all more a part of the show, as opposed to overly produced repetitive spots.
Of course that might be difficult now with so many shows voice tracked, and many of todays untalented announcers unable to actually read a 15 or 30 live.

February 16, 2023 5:01 pm  #3

Hadn't thought of that, but I think you're right. And if the jock was really good, he or she could even inject a little ad lib humour into the copy while reading it. For some reason, I still remember the Real Bob James on WGAR Cleveland in the 70s doing a Nissan spot live and talking about the vehicle's "differential." It must have struck him as odd, so he simply added, "makes no differential to me!" 

It's not a genius line and he was capable of much better, but you know what? It's now nearly 50 years later and for some reason, I still remember that spot. So if I ever buy a Nissan in Cleveland, they'll know who to give the credit to! 

If CHFI is supposed to be "the perfect music mix," their AM counterpart, CFTR, is about the perfect spot mix. They never seem to have too many commercials in a row, with the spot breaks broken up by other content, short as it might be. Whether it's coming out of a break with tomorrow's gas price prediction (and then going into another 30 sec. commercial) or promoting a story, followed by a one minute pause, or telling listeners traffic and weather "are next," the station never feels cluttered. That is not an easy feat and they usually do it quite well. 

February 16, 2023 5:58 pm  #4

I don't know how you can object to the copious ad breaks on stations like 1010 and am 640.
Personally I go into withdrawal if I don't hear from Callum and Michel from Spence Diamonds, or that clever girl Olivia from Coast Appliances or Frank Leo or Lino Arci or that adorable Kars for Kids tune or some drug that is never explained but tells me to ask my doctor what it is and if I need it
EVERY SINGLE FREEKING TIME THEY PLAY COMMERCIALS.
I wonder what happened to Diamond and Diamond, though... oh wait a judge just threw out his attempt to appeal his Law Society sanction for duping his clients while farming out their cases to outside sources.

February 16, 2023 6:28 pm  #5

It's interesting to listen to some of the airchecks on Dale Patterson's Rock Radio Scrapbook.  Listening to  tapes from the 70's sometimes stations like CHUM or CFTR seemed to front load commercials in the first 25 minutes playing only one song and into commercials.  Then the second half hour playing three or four songs in a row before commercials. Also I have heard airchecks where a station stopped the music for only one 60 second commercial.  These examples are not in morning drive but usually evening or on weekends. 

The longest commercial promo breaks I have noticed on the larger stations in Southern Ontario seem to be maximum 5 minutes.  When I was listening to Detroit radio last fall in the car, the only commercial/promo break I heard on WRIF lasted 10 minutes.  I would never normally hang in that long but I wanted to see how many minutes the stop set would be.  And this was on a Sunday afternoon, and some ads/promo were only 10-15 seconds long. 

In fairness to WRIF I listened to the station on and off for about 30 minutes and don't really know how long the music sets are on the weekend or how many commercial breaks they have per hour.  Maybe it is just the one long break?  But a 10 minute commercial set is not serving listeners or advertisers in my opinion. 

Last edited by paterson1 (February 16, 2023 6:30 pm)

February 16, 2023 6:35 pm  #6

I was listening to a Rochester AM station a while back and half of the airtime was ads. THAT's contempt for an audience.

February 16, 2023 6:38 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

It's interesting to listen to some of the airchecks on Dale Patterson's Rock Radio Scrapbook.  Listening to  tapes from the 70's sometimes stations like CHUM or CFTR seemed to front load commercials in the first 25 minutes playing only one song and into commercials.  Then the second half hour playing three or four songs in a row before commercials. 

Not sure if I remember it like that back then, but memory is a fleeting thing. But one thing they also did - many of the commercials they ran came almost in the form of a song. Remember "The Supremes - for Coke!" followed by Diana Ross and the group crooning a spot for the soft drink. Another one was 'You're in the Pepsi Generation!' Those were almost more like songs than spots and you didn't mind listening to them. In fact, a few of them, like "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing" or "Come To The Sunshine" (which I think started as a hair colouring ad) became hits on their own. 

That idea is almost completely gone today. 

paterson1 wrote:

The longest commercial promo breaks I have noticed on the larger stations in Southern Ontario seem to be maximum 5 minutes.  When I was listening to Detroit radio last fall in the car, the only commercial/promo break I heard on WRIF lasted 10 minutes.  I would never normally hang in that long but I wanted to see how many minutes the stop set would be.  And this was on a Sunday afternoon, and some ads/promo were only 10-15 seconds long. 

Wow, 10 minutes of commercials? I can't imagine even the most loyal listener sitting through that, when switching is as easy as pressing a button. But like you, I might have sat there just to see how long they would dare to air so many. But I'm pretty sure the average listener would be long gone by about spot #4, if not sooner. 

February 16, 2023 6:58 pm  #8

Today radio (Toronto) may have no listeners, but that isn't preventing an overload of ads. 
I'd tell you how long the ads go for, but I am not sure because I am gone after hearing so many...then I come back and there's still more? 
I just wanted to hear what song they play next or what the topic might be. (just curious) but I refuse to sit through all those ads to find out. 
I guess I'll never know...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 16, 2023 8:12 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

Today radio (Toronto) may have no listeners, but that isn't preventing an overload of ads. 
I'd tell you how long the ads go for, but I am not sure because I am gone after hearing so many...then I come back and there's still more? 
I just wanted to hear what song they play next or what the topic might be. (just curious) but I refuse to sit through all those ads to find out. 
I guess I'll never know...

Low TSL means more frequent airings to achieve reach

February 17, 2023 1:37 am  #10

I used a stopwatch recently when listening to CFRB.  A two hour show was exactly one hour and 18 minutes long.  it seemed to time out to be 10 minutes of show and 5 minutes of commercials, traffic, weather or news except for the last segment in each hour which was 9 minutes.  That's too many interruptions.

February 17, 2023 6:33 am  #11

If Spence, Coast Appliance and Full Mast ED stopped advertising, would all radio stations go under?  It would almost be worth it.

February 17, 2023 9:27 am  #12

RadioActive wrote:

If the jock was really good, he or she could even inject a little ad lib humour into the copy while reading it. For some reason, I still remember the Real Bob James on WGAR Cleveland in the 70s doing a Nissan spot live and talking about the vehicle's "differential." It must have struck him as odd, so he simply added, "makes no differential to me!" 

I remember when Tom Rivers was on CFTR back in the day he would occasionally inject sound effects or cartoon voices over commercials. It wasn't unusual to hear Yosemite Sam barking in the background about some "rootin' tootin'" thing while the spot was playing. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 17, 2023 10:05 am  #13

This is why the younger generation listen primarily to streaming services . We all understand the necessity of advertising to keep radio on air, the new technology being commercial free is the way to go now it seems.