sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2023 8:35 pm  #1

Canada's "Alex Jones" Strikes Again, Saying Killer Quake Was A "Plot"

Sometimes I can't believe the stuff I hear on the radio. And in this case, it truly is incredible. And so it was on Monday that, on a commercial break from another show, I briefly tuned into Marc Patrone on Sauga960. What he put forth as a theory left me listening with my mouth open. 

He claimed that there was talk that those devastating earthquakes in Turkey and Syria, that have left tens of thousands of people dead, were caused by NATO using special equipment that probes the ionosphere and creates lightning and earth tremors. In other words, they were deliberate.

As to why anyone would want to do this, even if it were possible, there are dozens of theories, including Turkey was trying to negotiate a peace treaty between Ukraine and Russia and "they" didn't want it to end. (It's always some mysterious, unnamed "they" who's responsible.) There was also something about Sweden, which didn't stick in my head. 

The whole thing was not only completely and utterly ridiculous, but without a shred of proof that such a thing was even remotely possible. 

This isn't the first time Patrone has slithered into territory of the absurd, but this one seems especially cruel. I'm a stickler for free speech overall, but even I have trouble understanding how CKNT's owners can let this stuff go to air. 

Patrone, by the way, is from Canada but has moved to Florida to escape what he calls "censorship" and government tyranny, and the feds, who he often claims would come after him if he stayed. 

I suppose he could be right - if the "government" he's talking about is the CRTC or the CBSC. 

February 13, 2023 8:47 pm  #2

Re: Canada's "Alex Jones" Strikes Again, Saying Killer Quake Was A "Plot"

I guess his cheques are still clearing.

February 13, 2023 8:50 pm  #3

It's amazing the things he gets away with. And that's only the stuff I occasionally overhear. There must be laws or policies against these kinds of crazy pronouncements. God help anyone who believes it.

Somebody ought to tell these people that sometimes, it just rains. It's not some sort of nefarious plot if the skies open up.

February 13, 2023 9:37 pm  #4

Mr. Patrone likely lives in Florida because of the nicer weather and the fact that nobody in Florida knows who he is.  Mind you it's not like he or his program is well known here either.  Other than on SOWNY, I have never heard  anyone, say anything about him or his show. 

February 13, 2023 9:48 pm  #5

You're certainly right about his lack of fame.

I only heard him because of an ad break on two stations I listen to that I wanted to skip. But I have to confess when he started in with the quake idiocy, I literally couldn't turn it off until I heard where it was going. After I did, I was sorry I didn't go to Funny 820 instead. Although Patrone, in some ways, is far more absurd than any of the comics on CHAM. 

And to think not only was this guy once a reporter for CTV in Halifax, but he was also once a CRTC Commissioner! Now that's truly frightening!

February 13, 2023 9:55 pm  #6

Richard Syrett is not much better. 

February 13, 2023 9:56 pm  #7

Yeah, they're both cut from the same cloth. And the pattern is a little off. 

February 13, 2023 10:55 pm  #8

Remember Gary (Spaceman) Bell?
He spouted his mostly harmless nonsense for years on the radio before he was kicked off for making anti-semitic comments.
I worked with him many years ago and when the USSR invaded Afghanistan I remember he was overjoyed because he believed that would spark the third world war and the biblical rapture where all good Christians like him would ascend into Heaven.
He was serious.  

February 13, 2023 11:01 pm  #9

I remember him from CFTR. He once told me that it took every ounce of willpower he had not to go on air on his overnight show and start preaching about Jesus. But he knew he'd get fired if he did, so he managed to contain himself and just play the hits. A very unusual man to say the least. 

February 14, 2023 4:48 am  #10

Chances are good that you were the only one listening, best I can tell that station has no listeners.

February 14, 2023 5:54 am  #11

UnSub wrote:

Chances are good that you were the only one listening, best I can tell that station has no listeners.

I don't understand how Sauga 960 pays their rent and bills. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 14, 2023 6:20 am  #12

February 14, 2023 6:36 am  #13

newsguy1 wrote:

Remember Gary (Spaceman) Bell?
I worked with him many years ago and when the USSR invaded Afghanistan I remember he was overjoyed because he believed that would spark the third world war and the biblical rapture where all good Christians like him would ascend into Heaven.
He was serious.  

Now there's a conversation that could clear the dinner table in a hurry. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

February 15, 2023 8:20 am  #14

Like most of the audience, I doubt very much the CRTC is listening!

February 16, 2023 11:46 am  #15

Like many others, I knew & worked with The Spaceman for many years. Beyond all the quirky on-air content he put out there for years on "A View From Space" he was a HUGE cheerleader for his colleagues. Always a positive mentor, loved radio. I had many "life" conversations with Gary that had nothing to do with radio, Prince (King) Charles or the Illuminati. He was a great guy, I miss him indeed!
- Scholes

February 25, 2023 5:29 pm  #16

Hammy wrote:

As conservative politicians rush to distance themselves from far right German politician Christine Anderson, Syrett spent half his recent show defending her. Apparently she was a previous guest. Racists, islamaphobes, homophobes, transphobes and white nationalists seem to have found a home on Canadian radio.

Coast to Coast AM really did themselves - and civilisation - a favour by dumping him as a host.

Last edited by Chrisphen (February 25, 2023 5:31 pm)