sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2023 6:19 pm  #1

The Super Bowl Is A Big Deal And All But This Is Ridiculous

I admit I'm not an NFL fan and I won't be watching any part of the biggest TV event of the year. And while I know they make more than a small fortune off the ads that run on the thing, you have to admit there's something very odd about a pre-game show that's longer than the actual game itself. 

The one on Fox (simulcast on CTV) started at 1 PM and goes on until the kick-off at 6:30 - a 5 and half hour hype-fest for a game that usually doesn't live up to its reputation in the end.

What could they possibly have to say for 5 1/2 hours? And yet, I'm sure there are people out there watching every single second. Maybe next year, they can start it at 6:30 in the morning and go 12 hours straight, perhaps highlighting the great grandparents of every single player on both teams in excruciating detail. I'm just glad they don't go this crazy with the World Series, although admittedly, that's not just a single winner-take-all contest.

(Tennessee is actually considering a bill that would make the Monday after the SB an official state holiday, so people wouldn't have to go to work after over-indulging the night before. That could happen in time for next year's contest, possibly meaning ex-CFRB host Ryan Doyle would immediately move to the state.)

So enjoy the Super Bowl if you're tuning in. You've waited for it (and waded through it) long enough. But God knows how you've had the patience.

February 12, 2023 6:29 pm  #2

Re: The Super Bowl Is A Big Deal And All But This Is Ridiculous

What do Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney, Prince and the Rolling Stones all have in common (besides the obvious?) 

They've all performed at half time in Super Bowls past. A U.K. newspaper has ranked all the legendary performances over the years, including the infamous appearance that caused one of the biggest scandals in recent TV history. 

Do you remember seeing any of these?

A look back at the best Super Bowl halftime shows in history - including Madonna, Prince, Lady Gaga and THAT performance from Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson  

February 12, 2023 7:01 pm  #3

It's hard to get the American fanaticism about football until you have done some travelling in the U-S.
I once did a road trip from Utah back to Toronto via several midwest states including Nebraska.
I spent one night in Lincoln but also went to Omaha and Ogalala where they have a famous "boot Hill" where lots of mainly teenage men were shot and killed in gunfights.
Anyway in Lincoln I visited the home stadium of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.
That's the  college football team.
Their merch store is as big as a Canadian Tire.
The stadium I believe seats tens of thousands.
This is all about teenage and early 20s guys not even pro yet.
Can you imagine the U-B-C Thunderbirds having their own dedicated 50-thousand seat stadium and the young player's names were household words?
So by the time they get to the pros -- and the Superbowl these still young men are elevated to the level of gods.
Their mistakes or perceived errors are parsed by the sports media as though their actions amounted to a lost battle or a victory in a world war.
Personally I find it all pretty sick (I mean the old-fashioned meaning of sick, not what the kids say today).

Last edited by newsguy1 (February 12, 2023 7:03 pm)

February 12, 2023 8:14 pm  #4

Apparently Comcast in parts of Philadelphia is out, due to a severed fibre line. On this day of all days…

Of course, viewers can get the game on WTXF 29, but they may not have the antenna setup to do so…

February 12, 2023 11:40 pm  #5

you missed a good game. 

February 12, 2023 11:42 pm  #6

Hard to miss what you don't care about. But I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hear it was great for those into the sport, although there was one thing missing in the report I listened to after it ended.

February 13, 2023 11:35 am  #7

Actually CTV's coverage began at 12 noon and TSN at 10am.  They had their own people and crew in Glendale Arizona so some parts weren't on FOX. TSN  had their own wrap up after the FOX broadcast was done with Jay Onrait and TSN commentators at field level.   

I am not a big football fan and don't follow the NFL but I do understand that this is the biggest sporting event in North America and second only to the World Cup.  So to broadcast more or less all day in support is understandable and not over done at all.  A state holiday?  Why not?

Many millions watching the actual game likely are not huge football fans either, but enjoy the excitement, fun, hoopla, half time show, commercials, the commentators, interviews with the players and coaches and all the things going on during the day.  FOX and CTV/TSN made their broadcasts entertaining and fun what i saw earlier in the day and a lot of people enjoy this.  FOX did an outstanding job of the coverage in my opinion.  

Let's not forget the Kentucky Derby in May.  NBC had five hours of coverage and TSN over seven hours.  All of this for a two minute race... 

Last edited by paterson1 (February 13, 2023 12:39 pm)

February 13, 2023 2:27 pm  #8

newsguy1 wrote:

It's hard to get the American fanaticism about football... 

This article by Wright Thompson explains it quite well: "Pulled Pork And Pigskin"

February 15, 2023 2:25 am  #9

paterson1 wrote:

Let's not forget the Kentucky Derby in May.  NBC had five hours of coverage and TSN over seven hours.  All of this for a two minute race... 

At least there are several other televised races during the show.