sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2023 10:26 am  #1

Mendelson Joe

Musician and visual artist, passed away from Parkinson's this week at 78.  I remember McKenna-Mendelson Mainline getting some airplay in the early 70's on CHUM with Get Down To. Here's the link to the CBC obit

Get Down To

Last edited by Carl Patrick (February 10, 2023 10:30 am)

February 10, 2023 12:43 pm  #2

Re: Mendelson Joe

Mendelson Joe carved his own way in life. He teamed up with well-known blues guitarist Mike McKenna in the late 60's, forming McKenna Mendelson Mainline for a few years, a great band based in Toronto, but short-lived. (Mike McKenna has continued to be a very respected blues player for decades.)

Over the years Joe showed another aspect of his talent, this time as a painter and produced a number of works - some with a wry sense of humour. He’d moved to quiet area of central Ontario by then. I’ve seen some of his work presented in various galleries. He was also a prolific writer and along with penning many books, he periodically in past years wrote letters to the editor which were printed in papers such as the Toronto Star. Mendelson Joe had the rare talent of crafting very succinct and poignant social and political comment. What he wrote  in four or five short sentences would take most columnists 600 words.

I seem to recall him doing one television interview many years ago from his cabin, with Paula Todd when she was with TVO. (Hope I’ve got that correct.)  He was a very unique man. Not surprisingly, Mendelson Joe left on his own terms.

February 10, 2023 12:51 pm  #3

Re: Mendelson Joe

I remember seeing McKenna Mendelson Mainline at St.Gabe's church on Sheppard Ave. East. in the early 70's.  Joe sat in a chair for the whole performance along with the drummer while the rest of the band stood.  Such a great band to see live!  Years later working at Citytv I would occasionally see his motorcycle parked in the City parking lot while he would leave comments at the Speakers Corner booth.  The word "Concentrate" in Dymo label was stuck on his gas tank.  An appropriate word for motorcycle riders!  I was fortunate to meet him in a professional capacity as a camera operator.  A reporter and I went to his home to interview him.  I was blown away by his incredible artwork that was throughout the house.  So talented!  As we were packing up the equipment, I asked him why he had changed his name, something I had never understood.  He went on to tell me that it stemmed from a dispute he was having with the federal government at the time.  He would receive mail correspondence from them addressed to Mendleson, Joe, which annoyed him to no end.  He would call to complain saying "my name is Joe Mendelson not Mendelson Joe, please change it."  He was told that it couldn't be changed because it was computer generated and everyone was addressed the same way.  It annoyed him to the point of changing his name, to finally receive an envelope addressed to, Joe, Mendelson.         

Last edited by Citypulse News 15 (February 10, 2023 6:43 pm)