sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2023 2:01 pm  #1

New 640 T.O. Podcast - But Is It Any Different Than Their Night Show?

AM640 rolled out a big announcement on Wednesday, boasting about a new podcast called "Today In T.O.," a show dedicated to issues specific to the city of Toronto. It will drop every Wednesday and use the collected interviews airing on 640 to track what's going on in the G.T.A. (Although that really should make it "This Week In T.O." rather than just Today.) Like their highly produced but repackaged "best of" nightly evening show, it will also be hosted by Dani Stover. 

They seem to be making a big deal of this, with a not particularly compelling two minute teaser reel you can hear right now. But for the life of me, I can't see how this "new" show (which ironically, appears will be comprised of old interviews) is anything more than the current evening rehash pared down to a once-a-week effort.

I had high hopes for the newcomer that replaced Alex Pierson's "On Point." But it's simply a reroll gussied up in fancy production. There's nothing really all that new in it, and I'm sorry to say, I found it a big disappointment. For me, the time slot went from an evening "can't miss" to a daily "don't want to hear" - or worse, "already have heard." 

I haven't listened to the podcast yet - it launches Feb. 22nd - but if all it consists of is more of the same repeats with nothing original, I think I'll pass on this new "Curiouscast" entry. Because it doesn't sound like there will be much to be curious about.

You can read the announcement of the show here.

February 1, 2023 4:34 pm  #2

Re: New 640 T.O. Podcast - But Is It Any Different Than Their Night Show?

Good ole weekend re-rolls packaged in a weekly podcast...lipstick meet pig...

February 1, 2023 7:57 pm  #3

Re: New 640 T.O. Podcast - But Is It Any Different Than Their Night Show?

I'll give it a try. I never listen to the station, but this has some appeal. Maybe it'll convert me. 

I suspect that's more the idea than as a service for regular listeners.