sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2023 10:19 am  #1

Two Huge Communication Controversies Back On The Front Burner

I'm not going to get into my serious concerns over Bill C-11 - they've been well documented here before. But two relevant stories in the Globe & Mail show I'm not the only one. Apparently, one of those people worried about this thing is the President of the United States. And the subject is expected to come up when Joe Biden makes a rare visit to Canada this March.

Not really unexpected I suppose, since C-11 will affect a host of American streamers. But I do find it surprising that, with so much to discuss in so short a time, this would be on the agenda.

U.S. escalates trade concerns over Canada’s online news and streaming bills

Meanwhile, a Globe editorial suggests that, despite the new CRTC Chair insisting that lowering the costs of your cell phone and Internet bills is a priority for her and the agency she runs, it's going to be a lot easier said than done. 

A call for telecom competition rings for the CRTC’s new boss

Neither story was behind a paywall when I accessed them, and hopefully they will both stay that way, because they're interesting reads. 

February 1, 2023 12:23 pm  #2

Re: Two Huge Communication Controversies Back On The Front Burner

RadioActive wrote:

a Globe editorial suggests that, despite the new CRTC Chair insisting that lowering the costs of your cell phone and Internet bills is a priority for her and the agency she runs, it's going to be a lot easier said than done.

I assume the CRTC got caught up in the conundrum of "broadband internet for rural and underserved communities" verses "lower rates for everyone".  Rural access to reliable high speed internet has been a hot potato for the Commission.  I suspect the big telecom players told the Commission they could not simultaneously reduce rates and also invest in expanding rural broadband connectivity especially given the CRTC's "Broadband Fund" (crtc.gc.ca/eng/internet/fnds.htm) is supported "directly from contributions made by large Canadian telecommunications service providers".  Politically, it’s easier to let the general public continue to pay rates they have already committed to, all the while messaging that lower rates are a "priority" and take the win to be seen as forcing telco’s to help underserved communities.