sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2023 9:58 pm  #1

Why The Beatles Preferred North American Radio To Their Own

The Fab Four travelled the world and praised radio on this side of the pond as being infinitely better than what they could get at home. At least as far as music radio was concerned.

“You can’t compare it, really, because in England there’s the BBC and then two commercial stations which are outside of Britain — outside of the zone,” [George] Harrison said. “In America, in each city, they have about thirty. So you can’t compare it.”

“It’s much better over here,” Ringo Starr said, referring to the United States’ radio, with McCartney adding, “It’s more exciting, the radio here.” 

Wonder what they thought of CHUM...

Why the Beatles ‘Can’t Compare’ Their Radio Success in the United States and Britain

January 30, 2023 12:35 am  #2

Re: Why The Beatles Preferred North American Radio To Their Own

Well, The Beatles knew about CHUM.  Remember, Toronto was the only Canadian city where The Beatles performed all three years - 1964, '65 and '66. They never went back to Vancouver after the riot in 1964 nor did they return to Montreal after '64.  And in Toronto, CHUM's Jay Nelson was the mc for every concert but one (which was CKEY's Al Boliska in '64).

In 1983 when I worked with Ringo on the 25 hour ABC radio special "Ringo's Yellow Submarine", when I told Ringo that I'd worked at CHUM for 13 years, he said "We loved CHUM".

In 1991, Paul McCartney came through Toronto, staying at the Sutton Place hotel.  Everyone, all the TV networks, newspapers and radio had to come to him at Sutton Place. When his publicist told him that CHUM would like an interview, Paul said "I'll go to CHUM" and he did, doing live interviews in the 1331 Yonge Street studios with Dan Michaels on 1050 CHUM and a recorded interview with CHUM FM's Scott Robbins.. .

January 30, 2023 1:05 am  #3

Re: Why The Beatles Preferred North American Radio To Their Own

What a great couple of stories. Thanks Doug. It's amazing to think John, Paul, George & Ringo were CHUMbugs of a sort!