sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2023 8:52 pm  #1

Modern anachronism ad

Just noticed this.
In one of the Alpine Credits ads they have a scenario where a woman wants a loan to build a new kitchen.
Here daughter interjects saying they need a new bathroom.
The mother tells the daughter, who has been listening in, to hang up her phone.
What?
I thought in 2023 most people have cell phones and have cancelled their landlines.
This ad suggests a throwback to the old days when households had landlines in every room and teen agers could pick up their landline phone to "listen in" to what others were taking about (usually while covering the mouthpiece to conceal their breathing.")  
Stupid subject I know but that's where my brain goes wile I'm in bumper to bumper traffic on College street on a winter afternoon.

January 28, 2023 9:09 pm  #2

Re: Modern anachronism ad

I heard that ad. I think it's an ad spoofing the idea that a family is so poor that not only do they need renovations, but they also can't afford smart phones!   

FYI: BE sure to switch to Rogers Ignite today and get Ignite home phone for only $10 a month! (local calling)  It covers the whole home from top to bottom! (may require cordless phones)  

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 28, 2023 9:14 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 28, 2023 9:56 pm  #3

Re: Modern anachronism ad

The only thing I like in that spot is at the very end, where because of ridiculous requirements, they're forced to mention the Financial Services Commission of Ontario's licence number of the company. Most times, they just skip through it as quickly as possible.

But on this one, that same angry daughter comes on and says "Licence Number 12616. Ugh!" That "Ugh" makes the commercial for me!