sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2023 1:39 pm  #1

Zellers Restaurant Morphing Into Food Truck

https://mobilesyrup.com/2023/01/27/zellers-restaurant-coming-back-as-food-truck/

Good news for a Friday afternoon.

I know it's not part of the former menu but I'd kill to be able to order a real Halifax donair, and a Montreal smoked meat on rye sandwich with fries and dill pickle. But I'll settle for a grilled cheese sandwich and so thick you can barely drink it chocolate milk shake.

Last edited by betaylored (January 27, 2023 1:45 pm)

January 27, 2023 2:00 pm  #2

Re: Zellers Restaurant Morphing Into Food Truck

It's the thought that counts. Good to see some sort of effort was made.
If it's successful enough, maybe they'll restore a restaurant location somewhere in Toronto.
That would be nice.

I wonder whatever happened to the Kresgees diner? 
The one at Coxwell & Gerrard became a Super dollar, then it became a Dollar Tree.
Rumour has it that the original Diner seats, counter and all are still sitting in the basement of that Dollar Tree store doing nothing because nobody had faith in the idea that it would ever make any money being restored.

*went into storage when the store was converted into a Super dollar originally.

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 27, 2023 2:02 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 27, 2023 2:35 pm  #3

rje1 wrote:

There aren't any diners/lunch counters coming back to these half assed Zellers opening within Bay stores. HBC is trying not to go bankrupt and out of business, not get into food service. 

Let me repeat what I said:  If it's successful enough, maybe they'll restore A restaurant location somewhere in Toronto.
That would be nice. Who said anything about it being inside the actual Bay store?  There might be an abandoned Starbucks or something...hopefully close by one of the Bay stores, so it's not wandering too far off. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 27, 2023 2:36 pm)

January 27, 2023 2:44 pm  #4

rje1 wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

rje1 wrote:

There aren't any diners/lunch counters coming back to these half assed Zellers opening within Bay stores. HBC is trying not to go bankrupt and out of business, not get into food service. 

Let me repeat what I said:  If it's successful enough, maybe they'll restore A restaurant location somewhere in Toronto.
That would be nice. Who said anything about it being inside the actual Bay store?  There might be an abandoned Starbucks or something...hopefully close by one of the Bay stores, so it's not wandering too far off. 

whatever. HBC isn't opening up diners in Toronto. 

Who said they are? IF they are successful enough, they can get out of the food truck and into a pop up location...notice my choice of words. (at this time)

January 27, 2023 6:38 pm  #5

betaylored wrote:

I know it's not part of the former menu but I'd kill to be able to order a real Halifax donair, and a Montreal smoked meat on rye sandwich with fries and dill pickle. But I'll settle for a grilled cheese sandwich and so thick you can barely drink it chocolate milk shake.

Halifax Donair & Pizza - 295 Main Street E, Milton
https://www.halifaxoriginaldonair.com/

Wolfie’s Deli - 670 Shepard Avenue W, Toronto
https://www.mywolfies.com/

January 27, 2023 7:01 pm  #6

Never ate at a Zeller’s restaurant but the look of the counters in the accompanying photo brings back
memories of a very small breakfast place in Kitchener.
I was only there at CKKW for about a year - 1960/1961 - but I ate there almost every morning.
The guy had about 25 stools around a horseshoe and they were always full. Little spot at the side of the old City Hall square. God, his food was good! Butter soaked into the toast.

January 28, 2023 1:22 pm  #7

So I have mentioned this before and it has been brought up. The whole purpose of this Zellers inside a Bay store is to avoid bankruptcy by restoring a nostalgic brand. I believe that what is happening is deeper than that. A lot of Bay or HBC stores are not fully profitable so they add in Zellers, see how it takes, and then slowly expand out the store by closing or drastically reducing the Bay portion. It allows the company to basically keep the lease (as some are long-term and a good value) instead of searching for new spaces. It allows a more profitable(?) brand to come in to take its place. If the food truck concept works and the Zellers stores are profitable and do well I predict within 5-7 years some bay stores will be gone completely and Zellers will return and either they renovate and add a diner into the existing space or they have a food truck on site. Also and this is not confirmed just by what I read online, but in Vancouver at the former Oakridge center mall that is currently closed and undergoing a massive redevelopment including enhanced retail, residential, and park space, the Bay store closed to allow for renovations will not reopen as previously thought. They are taking that space and opening a new concept Zellers. Not sure how true this is but it is very strongly discussed on a forum in Vancouver I stumbled on from a Facebook post.

January 29, 2023 10:22 pm  #8

mike marshall wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Halifax Donair & Pizza - 295 Main Street E, Milton
https://www.halifaxoriginaldonair.com/

Wolfie’s Deli - 670 Shepard Avenue W, Toronto
https://www.mywolfies.com/

thanks mike marshall, appreciate the info.

February 16, 2023 1:52 pm  #9

I'm still not entirely sure why this story got almost 800 page views (as I type this) but there certainly seems to have been some interest in it. So here's one more important fact about the return of Zellers and its food - what's on the menu. Bon Appetit.

Zellers reveals its food truck menu featuring 'comeback' items

March 9, 2023 4:58 pm  #10

https://twitter.com/twitandrewking/status/1633823468004229121?t=iDUhDpzkr6RhD-nE2TEZgA&s=19

the cool things available online, somebody should tell Zellers

March 9, 2023 5:05 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

I'm still not entirely sure why this story got almost 800 page views...   

I'm with you I can't figure it out either

Sounds like something Trudeau would come up with 

And then watch it fall flat on its ass

March 14, 2023 1:38 pm  #12

For those still interested in this story, the opening date for the reconstituted Zellers has been announced. The lowest price will once again be the law beginning March 23rd. I'm sure a lot of TV and radio coverage will soon follow.

Zellers comeback: When and where you can shop at the discount retailer again

March 22, 2023 9:19 am  #13