sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2023 8:25 pm  #1

Somebody Get Me Some "Spot" Remover

From time to time here, some posters complain about various commercials that appear way too frequently on their favourite radio stations (I'm looking at you, Spence Diamonds and Coast Appliances!) But now there's a new one and it's so irritating (ear-itating?) that I can't get it off my speaker fast enough.

I believe it's for an airline, and for some reason involves a woman getting into a shower and singing off key endlessly in the background through the whole torturous 30 secs., while a voiceover talks about something to do with travel. I never do quite get the message because by that point, I've stopped listening while that horrible non-songstress shrills her way into my frontal lobe.

Couldn't they at least have someone singing in tune? Man, it's almost as annoying as those Tom Mihalik spots. Although those never seem to end and they still top my list of instant tune-outs. But at least I know when to expect them, so they're a lot easier to avoid.

January 25, 2023 11:29 pm  #2

Re: Somebody Get Me Some "Spot" Remover

Speaking of Coast Appliances ads, the latest ones don't include phony granddaughter 'Olivia'.  Have they finally figured out that the character is totally annoying, or is that just too much to hope for?

January 26, 2023 12:40 am  #3

Actually, I believe the ones that are running now are old spots that have been resurrected. For some reason, I remember the part where the co-worker talks about this not being their first rodeo and says "Haw Hee," only to correct himself with "Hee Haw." 

So for whatever reason, they're running a previous campaign. And there's no Olivia in sight.

January 26, 2023 5:05 pm  #4

The spot in spot remover.
Heard the ad for the first time today.
It's for Air Transat.
What the hell that's got to do with bad singing in the shower I have no idea.
Maybe Olivia or Sarah knows.

January 26, 2023 5:21 pm  #5

RA I agree with you about the irritating airline ad. I think it’s Air Transat. One problem is the volume of the shower, which sounds like rain hitting a tin roof, is too loud and the person babbling/singing in the background sounds as if she’s becoming increasingly emotionally unhinged. On top of this cacophony is the person trying to do the voice over. It’s a terrible ad, one of so many ads in general that are aired. It’s puzzling why a companies pay big bucks to have these commercials produced, approved, and distributed to run on many stations, possibly some right across the county.

January 26, 2023 5:51 pm  #6

newsguy1 wrote:

The spot in spot remover.
Heard the ad for the first time today.
It's for Air Transat.
What the hell that's got to do with bad singing in the shower I have no idea.
Maybe Olivia or Sarah knows.

Would that be Sarah from 'Spence Diamonds', or Sarah from '1-800-GOT-JUNK'?  They are one in the same, for some unknown reason. 

January 26, 2023 5:53 pm  #7

What's weird to me about this spot is that the woman screeching in the shower is so distracting, I don't listen to the copy or what they're trying to sell me - which is, after all, the entire point of advertising.

It's a total waste of money as far as I can tell if the sound effects completely drown out the message.

Now if only the shower would drown that woman...