sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2023 4:51 pm  #1

Court Gives Thumbs Down To Competition Bureau Appeal of Rogers/Shaw

January 24, 2023 4:58 pm  #2

Re: Court Gives Thumbs Down To Competition Bureau Appeal of Rogers/Shaw

FFS

January 24, 2023 6:27 pm  #3

I hate to repeat myself, but the fix has been in on this thing since the beginning. Barring the dropping of the nuclear bomb, it's a go. I will be stunned if the government minister - the final hurdle - says no. Only in Canada could having fewer companies be seen as a boon to competition. It defies logic, but Rogers always gets what Rogers wants. And the beat goes on. Not to mention future price increases.

January 24, 2023 7:10 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I hate to repeat myself, but the fix has been in on this thing since the beginning. Barring the dropping of the nuclear bomb, it's a go. I will be stunned if the government minister - the final hurdle - says no. Only in Canada could having fewer companies be seen as a boon to competition. It defies logic, but Rogers always gets what Rogers wants. And the beat goes on. Not to mention future price increases.

I also hate to repeat myself, but for the size of the deal, it passes current regulations quite cleanly. If you don’t want more of this in the future, the solution is political. However, the only major party that would actually tighten rules is quite unlikely to be elected anytime soon.

January 24, 2023 8:18 pm  #5

They may have clever lawyers who have dotted the i's and crossed all the t's, but that does not make this a good thing for consumers - you know, those people the government said it wanted to protect as a priority. There are plenty of huge warning signs about this that have been either smoothed over or completely ignored. 

There's also a "too big to fail" vibe about this and if you honestly think this will bring prices down for almost anyone - beyond perhaps a brief false show at the beginning - then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you. And I promise, it will increase competition with other bridges!

Still, an article in The Globe & Mail, which seems overly optimistic to me, gives one last gasp of hope that this horrendous-for-consumers deal with the devil can still be stopped. Although I would not count on it. 

So I'll take some small comfort in the fact that former CRTC Chair Ian Scott, who must be toasting this tonight somewhere with a glass of expensive (Francois-Phillipe) Champagne, won't be there cheering it on.  

It ain’t over: The next battleground for the Rogers-Shaw takeover is at the CRTC

January 24, 2023 9:30 pm  #6

Keep voting against your best interests then, I guess.

January 24, 2023 9:32 pm  #7

How is cutting competition and raising prices in anyone's best interests except Rogers?

January 24, 2023 10:01 pm  #8

We keep voting for corporatist parties and then act surprised when they vote or appoint in favour of corporations. Don’t be a hypocrite.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 24, 2023 10:08 pm)

January 24, 2023 10:50 pm  #9

I don't recall this being on the ballot during the last election. I can assure you I'd likely support a candidate who doesn't support this disaster.

And yes, I'm pretty sure the centurions guarding the consumer gates are in on this thing, so there was never any chance it wasn't going to pass, despite the opposition of groups like Open Media, companies like Teksavvy, entrepreneurs like Anthony Lacavera, who offered $900 million more for Freedom Mobile than Rogers actually got from Quebecor (which speaks volumes about why they rejected his bid), and the more than 30,000 consumers who signed an online petition asking that this thing be stopped in its tracks. 

So, enjoy your higher prices and your monopoly! As for me, I'm like the guy in that old movie "War Games." The only way to win is not to play. I'm choosing not to play - or, for that matter, to pay. 

January 25, 2023 10:06 am  #10

The whole thing is sketch and it is not lost on me that the man who runs Rogers threw both his mother and sisters under the bus during their boardroom battle. How does a person like this end up getting what they want? I would not be surprised if some palms were crossed. And let’s not forget how Rogers handled their system crash last summer. They are, in my opinion, a crap company that should not be allowed to have a larger slice of the monopoly pie. Shame on the Federal Court of Appeal. I feel for all the Shaw employees about to lose their jobs because that’s what Rogers does when they buy a company.

Last edited by Shorty Wave (January 25, 2023 10:09 am)

January 26, 2023 12:07 pm  #11

And then there's this: an MP delving into the deal told a Commons Committee that if Rogers does succeed in getting Shaw, he's been told by company insiders it will result in massive layoffs. 

From Blacklock's Reporter:

"Rogers Communications will cut 4,000 to 5,000 jobs if cabinet approves its buyout of rival Shaw Communications, a Conservative MP yesterday told the Commons industry committee. MP Rick Perkins (South Shore-St. Margarets, N.S.) said he was told of massive layoffs by company insiders: “I’m told Rogers will actually cut 4,000 to 5,000 jobs.” 

This odious company's history of takeovers shows this to be true - a large number of people were laid off from City TV as soon as Rogers got its mitts on it.

Yep, the deal is great for consumers, good for workers, too. Now about that bridge in Brooklyn I own...

January 26, 2023 4:49 pm  #12

The gloves come off at the Commons hearings into the merger - and it's not pretty, with accusations of collusion and bad blood all around. 

Hearings Into Rogers/Shaw Merger Get Contentious

January 27, 2023 9:44 am  #13

Shortly after Rogers bought Citytv they held a town hall and the staff was looking forward to hearing from their new owners. A Rogers VP, who I won’t name, started by telling us that ”last year OMNI made 10 million…..and Citytv lost the same amount”. It sucked the air out of the room and most of us realized then that our new masters were nothing like CHUM. Shortly after that town hall, the cuts started coming and it shows on air to this day. The brand has been trashed and many lost their jobs as they will at Shaw. Too bad, but that’s Rogers for ya!

January 27, 2023 10:45 am  #14

A Globe and Mail columnist explains why he thinks the fix was in on this deal long before it went before the regulators - and what can be done to change to system so it doesn't go on and on and on like this for consumers. He makes some great points.

Canada’s telecom Family Compact wins again
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-canadas-telecom-family-compact-wins-again/

January 27, 2023 10:58 am  #15

A Rogers VP, who I won’t name, started by telling us that ”last year OMNI made 10 million…..and Citytv lost the same amount”.

If a business is losing 10 million... changes are coming no matter who owns it.

January 29, 2023 11:04 am  #16

If the 'merger' is approved allow international companies to enter the market. But I know that won't happen.

January 30, 2023 9:12 am  #17

In a release made earlier this morning, Rogers has agreed to extend the deadline for this deal to be given federal ministerial to February 17th, 2023.

January 30, 2023 9:26 am  #18

Not that they had much choice - their self-declared preferred deadline was tomorrow, Jan. 31st. But Francois-Phillippe Champagne, the Minister who wields the final decision, has long confirmed he wouldn't be rushed. So they have to wait. Nice try, though, to try and make it look like it was their choice!  

Rogers, Shaw extend closing date of merger to Feb. 17

January 31, 2023 1:27 am  #19

I'll believe it when I see it.  And I honestly don't believe I'll see it.

New CRTC chair promises revamped internet pricing model coming soon

Then there's this: a new Ontario Commissioner to the CRTC has been appointed. And guess what? He's a lawyer who once worked for - wait for it - a telco.

"Mr. Abramson has over 20 years of experience in the regulated communications and technology sectors, advising on a wide range of matters. He has acted as General Counsel for a blockchain wallet provider and as Chief Legal and Regulatory Officer for a competitive telco."

I'm sure his previous employers will exert no pressure on him at all for favourable rulings, because, you know, that never happens...

January 31, 2023 10:14 am  #20

Was just served this ad online: https://www.shaw.ca/corporate/shaw-videotron-rogers.

Shaw suggests that this acquisition is happening solely for the benefit of the Canadian public, and that it will miraculously result in increased competition (somehow). And that it will "clear a path towards lower prices," as if Rogers hasn't had the power to slash prices up to this point in time.

Also, Rogers good, Bell and Telus bad.