sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2023 5:04 pm  #61

Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

Radiowiz wrote:

Sooooo...Scott and Kat are just a repeater of the Kitchener station on 95.3 now?

Repeater may be a strong word with the stations running different formats/music/brand and target markets.      Energy 953 screams to me as this was a cost containment approach, as ratings wise Energy has not been what they had hoped for in the Toronto Market.  Their adult leaning chr/hot ac is really covered and way too may in the market especially for a rim shot.     I do wonder what the future brings.   Another change coming down the road should this not see any growth?   640 Toronto or CHML coming to FM on 95.3?

We will see. 

Last edited by radiokid (January 24, 2023 5:05 pm)

January 24, 2023 6:42 pm  #62

radiokid wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Sooooo...Scott and Kat are just a repeater of the Kitchener station on 95.3 now?

Repeater may be a strong word with the stations running different formats/music/brand and target markets.      Energy 953 screams to me as this was a cost containment approach, as ratings wise Energy has not been what they had hoped for in the Toronto Market.  Their adult leaning chr/hot ac is really covered and way too may in the market especially for a rim shot.     I do wonder what the future brings.   Another change coming down the road should this not see any growth?   640 Toronto or CHML coming to FM on 95.3?

We will see. 

CHML makes more sense than 640, respecting their place of licence.  
Then again, Rogers is using a Smith Falls FM to repeat an Ottawa station, so who knows?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 26, 2023 4:59 am  #63

radiokid wrote:

Energy 953 screams to me as this was a cost containment approach, as ratings wise Energy has not been what they had hoped for in the Toronto Market.  Their adult leaning chr/hot ac is really covered and way too may in the market especially for a rim shot.     I do wonder what the future brings.

The problem with Energy 95.3 is that they tried to go "head to head" with Virgin 99.9 and to a lesser extent, Kiss 92.5 and CHUM 104.5 when they first rebranded from Fresh radio and got Tucker & Maura for their morning show. 

Big mistake trying to compete with those stations coming from out of market, as vertically integrated Bell and Rogers have a much larger marketing budget to promote their stations than what Corus could ever dream of.

They would be much better off having a more focused format by returning to their Energy 95.3 & 108 roots as a true Rhythmic CHR station and compete against Z103.5 and Flow 98.7 instead.  Energy 95.3's strength is in its signal, which has much better coverage than Z103.5 or Flow 98.7.  I would propose a 50% Dance/EDM and 50% Hip Hop/R&B format, along with an extensive marketing awareness campaign.  This should work out well, especially following 93.5's recent format change.

Last edited by PwrSurge (January 26, 2023 5:00 am)

January 26, 2023 8:42 am  #64

PwrSurge wrote:

radiokid wrote:

Energy 953 screams to me as this was a cost containment approach, as ratings wise Energy has not been what they had hoped for in the Toronto Market.  Their adult leaning chr/hot ac is really covered and way too may in the market especially for a rim shot.     I do wonder what the future brings.

The problem with Energy 95.3 is that they tried to go "head to head" with Virgin 99.9 and to a lesser extent, Kiss 92.5 and CHUM 104.5 when they first rebranded from Fresh radio and got Tucker & Maura for their morning show. 

Big mistake trying to compete with those stations coming from out of market, as vertically integrated Bell and Rogers have a much larger marketing budget to promote their stations than what Corus could ever dream of.

They would be much better off having a more focused format by returning to their Energy 95.3 & 108 roots as a true Rhythmic CHR station and compete against Z103.5 and Flow 98.7 instead.  Energy 95.3's strength is in its signal, which has much better coverage than Z103.5 or Flow 98.7.  I would propose a 50% Dance/EDM and 50% Hip Hop/R&B format, along with an extensive marketing awareness campaign.  This should work out well, especially following 93.5's recent format change.

They probably would've been better off going back to their Vinyl 95.3 format, although the ship has likely already sailed on that, with CKLH becoming a Boom clone a couple of years ago and making a marked improvement with it. 

It's a shame that a station with a 100,000 watt signal doesn't seem to be able to get it right.

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (January 26, 2023 9:48 am)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

January 28, 2023 2:45 pm  #65

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

And the official answer to the subject question is...

Corus Radio’s Q107, 102.1 the Edge, Energy 95.3 introduce new morning shows

Just like Virgin London's JLB Mornings on 105.3 in Kitchener as well

January 28, 2023 8:39 pm  #66

The irony of the misogynist-in-chief being replaced by a woman and having her work with the two enablers left behind is something to reflect on. Why would Corus do this? To somehow try to appeal to women? If so, why keep Parker and Garbutt? Far more likely they couldn't find another morning show they liked.