sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2023 3:32 pm  #1

A Veteran Looks Back At His Earliest Memories Of Local Radio - & TV

This column is about Toronto radio in the waning days of the Golden Age of Radio. (So why is it in a Kingston newspaper?) While it evokes an era I don't quite recall, it shows how that spark of the love of the medium can be born at a very early age. I know it was with me.

"And it was about this time that the novelty of once-a-week television coverage of my beloved Leafs became available. Well, sort of. Although the puck was dropped at eight o’clock each Saturday night, the game was ‘joined in progress’ one hour later, midway through the second period. This semi-blackout was imposed because Conn Smythe, principal owner of the Leafs, feared the new entertainment medium (TV) might keep loyal ticket-buying fans at home instead of coming out to the rink."

My personal salute to the Golden Age of Radio

January 22, 2023 4:24 pm  #2

Re: A Veteran Looks Back At His Earliest Memories Of Local Radio - & TV

I remember those years as a child in the 50s using my imagination to listen intensely to the kids shows as well as some of the adult dramas of the final years of radio's golden age. To this day I find myself listening again to these
programs, especially mystery and horror shows on the internet. Your own imagination is larger than any TV screen.