sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2023 11:39 am  #1

TV News: To Tease Or Not To Tease? That Is The Question

It’s a tactic as old as TV news itself – the “teaser.” In case you’re not familiar with the term, it’s the announcement about what’s coming up next on the news, designed to keep you tuned in to see that promoted story.

Most stations use them in one form or another, announcing what amounts to ‘headlines’ at the beginning of a show, before the program actually starts and you get more details. They often work, but the problem is that some stations have now gone completely overboard on them.

Global’s seem reasonable, about 30-40 secs., while City TV’s seem to go on forever. CFTO is different than just about anyone else I’ve ever seen – they go straight into the first story right off the top, which gets the show off to a much quicker start, while the other guys in town are still listing a menu of what you’re about to see.

I used to have to write some of these headline previews for the station where I worked, and at least we only had three of them in a row. But as a viewer, I have to say I much prefer CTV’s approach – just get into the show and promote future stories from within and not off the top.

The U.S. networks all do it, too, but no one is as ridiculous as ABC’s “World News Tonight.” I’ve watched their opening repeatedly over the years and the teasers off the top are so long, most of its competitors are into their second stories by the time it ends. I timed it once. On average it goes on for 2 minutes and 30 seconds, and if I ever watch it, I find myself saying, “get on with it already!”

So I’m curious as someone from the inside looking out – when you watch TV news do you notice these things? Do they keep you tuned in or turn you off? I’ve come to believe the best thing to do is just get to the lead story and stop all the promotional hype. TV time, especially when it comes to news, is too valuable to waste telling you what’s coming up, instead of reporting what’s actually happened.

And I wish more people would adopt CFTO’s style. That newscast starts after a 15 sec. intro and we’re into the main story of the day. I think that works better than the never-ending promises of what’s coming next.  

January 22, 2023 2:59 pm  #2

Re: TV News: To Tease Or Not To Tease? That Is The Question

I have noticed lately that on many nights CFTO actually leads with what is in essence a promo for a later story.
Intro rolls, video rolls, and anchor begins reading a 15 second or so voice over, ending with.."we will have that for you in just a minute..but first....
At that point intro their first full story.
Is this done intentionally, or perhaps the story they are teasing is not ready yet.  I am not sure.

January 22, 2023 3:09 pm  #3

No, I'm pretty sure it's intentional. And I find it irritating to be honest. If you're going to lead with a story, lead with it. Don't bury it for something you're telling me (by putting it first) is more important and then go to something else. I was always taught your lead (or lede if you prefer) is the most important thing you think your audience needs to know that night. By telling us something else and then going back, it seems to me you're cheapening both stories.

Do they really think I'm going to tune them in and then immediately go elsewhere because their chosen lead bores me? That's crazy. I'm OK with it if there are two stories that really are that important. But that's a real rarity and it doesn't happen very often.

And you're right - this is relatively new for them and I find it a most unwelcome trend. 

January 22, 2023 4:21 pm  #4

One of the most annoying is 680 News... or CITY news or whatever.
For ages they have used teasers but often they are not about stories that are all that interesting.
It is groan inducing to hear the news anchor trying to twist and mangle something together to sound teasing.
I imagine that some of these are written for them.
One made up example would be something like this...
"When we come back find out what Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre said when he was at a cocktail party on Saturday night that that ended up backfiring later in the House of Commons."
Huh?
Or another type: "When we come back we'll tell you what was written on the wall in a Toronto school washroom that made some minority students angry."
"When we come back find out how low the temperature is expected to be this coming Thursday."
Actually some of the real life teasers I've heard are worse than my made up examples.

January 22, 2023 5:19 pm  #5

Speaking of teases, while working for a CTV station, the Executive Producer had a simple formula for writing.
It was simple.."make a statement, and then make a promise."
For example, "..snow is on the way tonight.   Coming up, we will tell you how much in your area, and when."
This formula is still used quite frequently, and although it might be effective, it certainly gets very repetitive.

January 23, 2023 1:58 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

It’s a tactic as old as TV news itself – the “teaser.” In case you’re not familiar with the term, it’s the announcement about what’s coming up next on the news, designed to keep you tuned in to see that promoted story.

Most stations use them in one form or another, announcing what amounts to ‘headlines’ at the beginning of a show, before the program actually starts and you get more details. They often work, but the problem is that some stations have now gone completely overboard on them.

Global’s seem reasonable, about 30-40 secs., while City TV’s seem to go on forever. CFTO is different than just about anyone else I’ve ever seen – they go straight into the first story right off the top, which gets the show off to a much quicker start, while the other guys in town are still listing a menu of what you’re about to see.

I used to have to write some of these headline previews for the station where I worked, and at least we only had three of them in a row. But as a viewer, I have to say I much prefer CTV’s approach – just get into the show and promote future stories from within and not off the top.

The U.S. networks all do it, too, but no one is as ridiculous as ABC’s “World News Tonight.” I’ve watched their opening repeatedly over the years and the teasers off the top are so long, most of its competitors are into their second stories by the time it ends. I timed it once. On average it goes on for 2 minutes and 30 seconds, and if I ever watch it, I find myself saying, “get on with it already!”

So I’m curious as someone from the inside looking out – when you watch TV news do you notice these things? Do they keep you tuned in or turn you off? I’ve come to believe the best thing to do is just get to the lead story and stop all the promotional hype. TV time, especially when it comes to news, is too valuable to waste telling you what’s coming up, instead of reporting what’s actually happened.

And I wish more people would adopt CFTO’s style. That newscast starts after a 15 sec. intro and we’re into the main story of the day. I think that works better than the never-ending promises of what’s coming next.  

They must work.  World News Tonight was the number US evening newscast last time I checked.  I also find their set to be very dark as well.  I like 680's top and bottom hour teases.  They're very quick.

January 23, 2023 9:57 am  #7

My problem with ABC's 6:30 product is that the teasers are so long, you almost don't need to watch the rest of the show. They've already told you almost everything. I sometimes watch the overly long opening and then switch to NBC, which is already into its second story by the time David Muir says "good evening." 

They could conceivably run at least one more story in all that time, but they go for the hype - including another thing I can't stand. Muir constantly tells viewers, "The video just coming in!" as if they're showing raw footage. Yet somehow, it's been edited and perfectly timed to change the shot when he gets to a specific point or person in the story. 

I've been in TV news for decades and trust me, that simply isn't possible. I've known some very quick editors, but no one can turn edited footage around that quickly. It's as irritating to me as when NBC Nightly News calls almost every story "Breaking." Some of them are over 24 hours old. 

Maybe it works for regular viewers. But having done this for so long, it comes off as dishonest to me. Still, I admit it seems to be working. ABC beats NBC most nights. I think Muir is cloying and over hypes everything. Plus his debrief questions to reporters in the field reveal all the answers, leaving them with absolutely nothing to say except, "That's right, David..." But clearly someone is watching. I'm just not one of them. 

January 23, 2023 10:37 am  #8

I can tell you this: we used to get calls all the time in the newsroom (in those pre-texting and email days) from viewers who absolutely hated it when our meteorologist would go on the air in his early weather segment, talk about a huge storm coming this week that will affect their commute and getting their kids to school, but "we'll tell you about it when I come back."

And then they would throw back to the anchor, not being seen again for 20 minutes. 

People hated that! "If you already know about a big storm, tell me now. Why are you making us wait?" most demanded angrily. They didn't get what teasers were for and it annoyed them to be told they had to stay tuned to find out info we already had.

This still goes on (you're likely to see it over the next 48 hours during early weather segments on TV news) and I doubt much has changed over the years.